Author Topic: BALLYSILLAN PLAYING FIELDS  (Read 9175 times)

arder lavery

Re: BALLYSILLAN PLAYING FIELDS
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
How do you know I haven't already? :smile:
then, you must have worked in the mater.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

the orrs

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
I remember the boys from the home, they would be walked down the Crumlin Rd to the Forum  picture house on a Saturday afternoon  for a treat

Brodie

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Not unless they still had child labour back then. :smile:
Did the lovely nurse give you a tetanus Jeg - in the arm? :(
then, you must have worked in the mater.

the orrs

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
not till the lights when out and the film started :girl_blum:

Brodie

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:03 AM »
You are awful----but I like it. :D
Do you remember the flying lit matches,smell of urine,
and if you had long hair,sometimes copping someone's chewing gum?
Happy memories of the Saturday matinee at The Forum!! :smile:
not till the lights when out and the film started :girl_blum:

the orrs

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
Brodie  do you remember the name of ice cream shop at the back 0f the Forum ,there was a small door beside the screen were you could get out , always remember the drone of the fridges in the shop i lived over in Twaddell Ave so i didnt use the back often

arder lavery

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Brodie  do you remember the name of ice cream shop at the back 0f the Forum ,there was a small door beside the screen were you could get out , always remember the drone of the fridges in the shop i lived over in Twaddell Ave so i didnt use the back often
was in that shop a million times, they were the ones who swapped our soap coupons for sweets. cant remember the name. top of brompton facing mckibbins rent people. the drone you heard was acually the generators for the forum. which was the big building behind the shop. behind the big gate

oilyrag

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
The Forum flick house ,2 minutes before the last film ended there'd be a mass exodus from the seats with those that didn't want to stand for the national anthem , ready to hit the foyer exits.

Remember the fire station and as a kid being taken with hundreds of others inside along the outside ballcony to watch a fire fighting demo. Afterwards climbing over the parked up fire engines.

Just up from the Forum there used to be a large ice cream parlour , that sold all types of ice cream delights, in the summer there'd be outside tables with parasoles where you could sit and suck the last dregs from the bottom where the spoon didn't reach.
so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

glenb

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
Knew every inch of the Playing Fields. I would go up Berwick Road and go through the gap beside the wee power station. When you got through the big gable wall on the right is where all the "boys" would mull about. Remember the rivers and the wee playground, the hills where we flew kites, higher up the fields where we played football, and you could get access from just about Wheatfield school at the top of Ardoyne Road (the old boys house walls/exterior where still intact then). We would bring half a dozen of the local dogs with us. Maybe cut across the farm, or down Alliance Parade and up to the hardware shop to but a net for catching spricks in the waterworks...No television and games for us, we were just as happy without that...and were forced to think on our feet at all times

Dot/dash

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Knew every inch of the Playing Fields. I would go up Berwick Road and go through the gap beside the wee power station. When you got through the big gable wall on the right is where all the "boys" would mull about. Remember the rivers and the wee playground, the hills where we flew kites, higher up the fields where we played football, and you could get access from just about Wheatfield school at the top of Ardoyne Road (the old boys house walls/exterior where still intact then). We would bring half a dozen of the local dogs with us. Maybe cut across the farm, or down Alliance Parade and up to the hardware shop to but a net for catching spricks in the waterworks...No television and games for us, we were just as happy without that...and were forced to think on our feet at all times

We were never bored were we? I go nuts when I hear children nowadays saying they are bored. I do also feel sorry for them. They have everything on tap and don't know how to occupy themselves.  :(

We were so fortunate to have those fields so close. Beautiful they were.  :smile: :smile:
love me          love my gelding     

glenb

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
I actually do feel sorry for the kids, we had peer pressure, but it wasn't material peer pressure like they have now. Also, they're bombarded with television and false caricatures of life....I don't think they would even know how to go out and play without money or cars etc

tboy

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
especially when you were around Alliance Parade ;)

glenb

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »
Especially your right... :smile:

Brodie

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
Sorry, don't know that shop.We were lucky to get enough money for our tickets,
none left over for ice cream. :smile:
was in that shop a million times, they were the ones who swapped our soap coupons for sweets. cant remember the name. top of brompton facing mckibbins rent people. the drone you heard was acually the generators for the forum. which was the big building behind the shop. behind the big gate

arder lavery

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
The Forum flick house ,2 minutes before the last film ended there'd be a mass exodus from the seats with those that didn't want to stand for the national anthem , ready to hit the foyer exits.

Remember the fire station and as a kid being taken with hundreds of others inside along the outside ballcony to watch a fire fighting demo. Afterwards climbing over the parked up fire engines.

Just up from the Forum there used to be a large ice cream parlour , that sold all types of ice cream delights, in the summer there'd be outside tables with parasoles where you could sit and suck the last dregs from the bottom where the spoon didn't reach.
that was the castle creamery.