Author Topic: Seeking friends from Gilnahirk Primary School  (Read 28114 times)

sheilla o

Re: Seeking friends from Gilnahirk Primary School
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
Hi George here,
                       I went to Gilnahirk Primary 57/63. I remember  my first day,my friend Denis  would remember the teacher. 
I remember Mr McCartney, Ma Martin @ all the rest.

I left in the summer of 63 and went on to Dundonald .   

len

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »
hi my name is len rutherford i went to gps in the early 1960,s the principal was mr mccartney my teacher was mr cummings and mr mcmillan the first girl i ever kissed was joan kidd love to hear from her bumped into a guy a few months ago who also went there called sinclair mckee would really like to hear from anyone from those days.

KEEP

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
 ::)Hi my name is Elaine I was at Gilnahirk Primary from 1958-1964/65 (can't remember). My teacher was Mr Mc Millan and he was the best teacher that I ever had. I went on to Methody, which I hated then we moved to Birkenhead in 1967. I later went to Sussex University and now work as a Social Worker in Brighton. There were 2 other Elaine's in my class. I would love to hear more about Gilnahirk and I am going to look up my family history.

len

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
hi elaine i still live quite close to gilnahirk but it has changed quite alot since our school days i remember some names from back then like susan watson david sloan martin sloan robert ray raymond emerson maureen parker niomi docherty and my good canadian friend david lyttle who used to travel on the bus with me perhaps if i knew your surname i may remember you best regards len

KEEP

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
Hi Len, my surname is Keep. I remember Naomi Docherty, Suzanne Watson, Elaine Courtney. My best friend was Barbara, who lived on the Braniel with a sister called Linda. I can't remember her surname. I lived in Kilmakee Park, Gilnahirk and my best friend there was Sally Hunter of the same street.  I remember going to the riding school between The Braniel and The Cregah estates (I had a Grandmother in each estate). In those days you had to walk to the Braniel and walk from the end of the Braniel to the Cregah. Anyone remember the name of the riding school? It was next to a Seventh day Adventist chapel which I think one of my aunt's attended for a while. Elaine

len

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 12:00:52 PM »
hi elaine sorry i dont remember you by your surname but i do remember the riding school beside the wee church but unfortunately i dont remember its name you mention sally hunter i knew her and her big sister shelia who i see now and then and i think sally now lives in california do you remember another name which springs to mind paul mccluney or brian agnew these names are just coming to me as i use this keyboard mr mccartney the principal is still alive and well and lives in a nursing home just down the road in cherryvalley do you remember joan kidd and her brother david who lived in a bungalow just up past kilmakee park len

KEEP

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 09:56:41 PM »
Hi Len, I can't remember these people you mention- I think you were in Mr Cumin's class?  I was in Mr Mc Millan's so we  may not remember the same thing? I do remember the houses you talk about-I think they were the newest when I was growing up. Did you go to the Presbyterian Church? I remember friends including Sally going to Dundonald school- the bus used to swing into the road by Holland's shop with all the kids hanging out of the window- I was jealous! I also remember the beginning of Tullycarnett estate, on some old fields we used to play in.  I am also curious about the unpaved lane by the church that went up a very steep hill into an area of houses; we had little to do with the people that lived there I always wondered why! Best wishes, Elaine

len

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
hi elaine you are right i was in mr cumins class and only got mr mcmillan sometimes for music the church is still there and the lane you mention was called charters ave which led onto the rocky road and on into the country where i lived myself people up there in those days came from very poor backgrounds and i myself remember getting free school diners because my father was unable to work due to illness but anyhow that was a long time ago do you remember school sports days long jump high jump etc just loved them wish i could still do it ha ha i used to help the milkman stanley martin deliver milk all around gilnahirk including kilmakee pk before i went to school and he paid me sixpence and maybe a cigarette gosh this is taking me back a bit  len

KEEP

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »
Hi Len, I am beginning to think I might remember you- sorry if that sounds rude! As you say it was long ago.  As you know I left Belfast long ago and for various reasons I am starting to get very interested in my childhood and Gilnahirk. I would like to hear more about you and your family, what do you do now? Both my parents are dead, which probably started this whole thing off. My Father worked in the Shipyards and was often laid off- we went to Birkenhead for work, he was then laid off there too! We were very poor it seems to me (I still think of myself as poor and call myself working class, my son mocks me).  I remember a new boy starting in Miss Mc Cann's class called Leonard, was that you? I also remember Mr Mc Cartney, he carried a cane inside his trousers we were told and I found him really creepy. Mr Mc Millan instilled a love of music, though my parents were fine singers and my mum's cousin was Van Morrison's mother, though we never met him. Thanks for replying, best wishes Elaine

len

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
hi elaine yes i think that was me in miss mccanns class i remember well the school diners and miss mccann knew i was on free school meals and if there were left overs i always put my hand up and she always made sure i got seconds (best meal of the day) i also worked in the h&w shipyard as a welder in the 70s, today i drive a taxi around belfast my mother & father are both still alive and in reasonably  good health im married with two grown up children who both live in scotland do you remember a girl who lived in the braniel called janet topping she also was there in our time if you like you can email at [email protected] its a little more private look forward to hearing from you len

Petsar

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »
To Sam Thompson:
Hi Sam,
I lived in No.2 The Bungalows Lower Braniel Road! I remember you well, my name is Glynis (nee Reid) I lived next door to the Kanes, Drew, Colin and Michelle.
Hope you are well.
It would be great to hear from you, I still live on the road.

To Eileen,
Billy Kelly is dead but not Glen, I was talking to her in the Moat Inn, Dundonald about a month ago.

Petsar

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 11:52:28 PM »
Hi all,
This photo is taken in 1962. My first year of school at Gilnahirk PS. I am in the middle row second from the left. Opposite to where the teacher is standing.

Regards Sam.

Sam, the teacher is Mrs. Rouledge, she passed away about 9 years ago.  Mr. McCartney died a few months ago.
Glynis Reid

kathrynspet

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
Went to Gilnahirk myself between September 62 and June 70. I used to live in Gilnahirk Rise. The cottages on The Lower Braniel Road, is that where a boy in my class called Derek McMaster used to live? Another class mate lived facing him in the bungalows called Gary Reynolds whos Mum taught my sisters to play the piano. Mr Cummings is still alive and living in Newtownards,his daughter in my sisters best friend. Can anyone remember Mr Potter the P6 teacher who started the school football team? I can always remember him taking the huff with myself and another boy the time Manchester Utd played Benifica in the European cup final in 1968 because we wanted them to lose.

kathrynspet

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »
Hi Len, I can't remember these people you mention- I think you were in Mr Cumin's class?  I was in Mr Mc Millan's so we  may not remember the same thing? I do remember the houses you talk about-I think they were the newest when I was growing up. Did you go to the Presbyterian Church? I remember friends including Sally going to Dundonald school- the bus used to swing into the road by Holland's shop with all the kids hanging out of the window- I was jealous! I also remember the beginning of Tullycarnett estate, on some old fields we used to play in.  I am also curious about the unpaved lane by the church that went up a very steep hill into an area of houses; we had little to do with the people that lived there I always wondered why! Best wishes, Elaine

kathrynspet

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
Your post brings back a few memories from my childhood, I can remember the Dundonald bus well, I also used to play in the fields which are now Tullycarnet, and I went to the Presbyterian church sunday school, I was also in the 30th cubs at the church. The lane you mention was the Stoney Road or the Rocky Road, I'm not sure which is correct. I seem to remember there was quite a scary family lived up there and you never felt safe venturing to far up the lane.