Author Topic: Seeking friends from Gilnahirk Primary School  (Read 28113 times)

KEEP

Re: Seeking friends from Gilnahirk Primary School
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
Hi kathryn, great to hear from you- I think I am a few years older than you. I remember the Sunday school well and the performances we used to put on. I was also in the brownies and the guides. I remember Rocky road , which I believe is now tarmacked over. Then it was muddy and there was a farmhouse near the bottom where people used to leave their shoes to change into. The farm was a chinchilla farm when I was there and also some horse, maybe for breeding as I don't remember seeing anyone riding them. Occasionally horses would escape from the fields and run into the gardens, it was exciting- Sally Hunter and I would run out to try and get hold of them to take them back. That and the ice cream van were the most exciting things- we didn't have a fridge then. Would love to hear more about Gilnahirk, Elaine

kathrynspet

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
Elaine,nice to hear from you but I can't remember the farms at all. I can remember going up the fields above where Tullcarnet is now and there being an old well where we collected tadpoles to take home and hope they turned into frogs, from what I remember none ever did. There used to be an old river behind Hollands shop that run parallel with the Gilnahirk Road that we used to go up and down. It must have been piped in for part of the way because it disappeared and then reappeared behind Maisie's Shop away on down the road.  I don't know where you live now, but if you haven't been back in Gilnahirk for a while it has changed quite a bit from the sixties. Hollands shop is away and replaced with a row of shops with apartments over them, the tennis club in Gilnahirk Rise has been built on,as has the manse on the Lower Braniel Road which had great chestnut trees and we used to collect conkers from. Maisie's shop has gone, the old Post Office at the bottom of the Road has gone, Jacksons fruit and vegetable shop at the corner of The Gilnahirk Road and Kings Road has gone, many more changes but too many to list here. I loved my eight years at the primary school( 2 years in P7) as they remain the best years of my life, there was a 50th anniversary in the late eighties which I regret not going to as I would have loved to walk the old corridors again. I think my first P7 teacher was called Wightman, and the second year it was A Mr Pinkerton if memory serves me correctly,P6 was Mr Potter and P5 was a Miss Doyle I believe. I only know this after seeing myself in a old photo of P5 on Friends United. Mr McCartney was the head,and Mr Cumming must have been vice head. Great great times. All The best William.

kathrynspet

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »
Just to let anybody from Gilnahirk know that there is a book coming out in October titled Gilnahirk with a photo of the Presbyterian church with an old red 76 bus sitting outside it.  This used to be the  terminus for the Gilnahirk bus and not Farmhouse Way in the Braniel as it is now. The author is Aidan Campbell who has wrote previous books  Beaconsfield, Knock and Cherryvalley. I can't wait to get my copy.

KEEP

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
Hi thanks for replying, I will lookout for the book- it will make great presents for my sister and brother. I remember the river behind Holland's shop- we also followed it down. In my memory it came out in Cherry valley. We collected sticklebacks in jam jars. We also had frog spawn, so much so that one year we seemed to have a plague of them- they were all over the road by the bus terminus and a great toad in our coal house. I don't like frogs to this day. You might be too young to remember a great winter when we had blizzards and 2 of the pylons in Gilnahirk blew up and someone died? My older sister used to hang with a crowd who stood on the bridge by Holland's at night; they were notorious but seem very tame by today's standards. I am sorry to hear about the tennis club and the manse; the minister used to let us play n the garden. I was just thinking about Cherryvalley yesterday after your message, we had relations there; richer than us. I have since heard that it was bit of a joke with a famous comedian taking the P with "Cherryvalley Lady"- probably my Aunt. I would like to hear from anyone who remembers Mr Mc Millan at GPS, I thought he was the best. Best wishes for now, Elaine

kathrynspet

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
I am just typing this message before I go out to get some shopping,I will be thinking of you when I drive along the Lower Braniel Road and pass the wee bridge where Hollands was.I was trying to remember whatever happened to the Holland family, I knew the daughter from school and I can remember meeting her at Cregagh Tech about 76/77 when I was there on day release classes during my apprenticeship with the shipyard. Haven't seen or heard of her since. I can remember coming home from sunday school and having to get my fathers papers from the wee stall that used to sit at the bridge as Hollands didnt open on a Sunday. I'm 51 now so not that young that I can't remember great winters with piles of snow to play in. My Dad made me a sleigh which we took up to Shandon golf course which we got into through the broken down fence at the end of Gilnahirk Park( The fence is still there but its been long since fixed) and fly down the slopes for hours on end. I can't remember the people being killed, I'm just off the phone to my Mum she couldn't remember it either. The comedian you were talking about was James Young who is long since dead, but you can still get all his recordings on cd, he was actually in our house for sunday dinner once. My aunt was married to a clairvoyant who was quite well known around Belfast during the 70s/80s called Hamilton Farmer and I think James Young went to see him and they became friendly. When your sister hung about the shops there would have been cigarette and chocolate machines on the wall outside them, for some reason I always remember them and thought they were just great.You would never see the likes of that now as they would be ripped apart in no time. All for now William

KEEP

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »
Dear William good to see your reply. Yes I remember the machines, there was also one for milk, came out in a pyramid; also Aspro's, and machines for Beechnut chewing gum. Thinking again, I think it may not have been a pylon but one of the listening posts; there was a GCHQ in Gilnahirk. My friends and I went over the fields near the bluebell wood and saw a field full of masts etc. We knew there were people living in the area who had jobs where they couldn't tell anyone what they did at work. I have recently met someone in Brighton who lived in the next road, whose father worked there. She is 10 years younger than me so we didn't meet then, but her husband is now a friend of mine at work.  About Holland's, we were told that the shop was originally the school in the area, which makes sense as it is near to the Manse. When I was leaving Ireland, they were just starting to develop more shops; a chemist and a hairdressers if I remember correctly. There was talk of a chip shop but someone organised a petition against it. I remember we had to go to Cherryvalley for most things- doctor, dentist, bakery, shoe repairs etc..I don't remember newspapers in Gilnahirk then, we had to go down the hill towards Cherryvalley and there was a bit of a shop; we went there for the News of the World and some ice cream for Sunday lunch, after Sunday School. I also remember seeing a teddy boy in Cherryvalley! Did you have huts in your day at GPS? I was thinking about them, a kind of portacabin, with a fire, either gas or coal I can't remember which, but I was always sleepy in the winter afternoons!Must go now, best wishes Elaine

kathrynspet

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »
Hi Elaine,yes there was a row of shops and eventually a chip shop where we got our tea on a friday night as a bit of a treat. No Chinese takeaways or pizza parlours in those days. Those shops were knocked down years ago and replaced with new ones with apartments above them. facing them is a garage with a chip shop behind it. Anytime I am shopping there I always have a nostalgic look around and am amazed at how much space there seems to be there because I don't remember it being like that when I was young. Obviously my memory isn't what it used to be. Funny that you mentioned the shops at cherryvalley as I have just come in from there. The shoe menders has been closed for years but the building is still there and just the same as it was back in the 60s, the dentist  surgery is still there as is the row of shops with the butcher and bakery. Those two shops look exactly the way they did from back then. Gibsons sweetshop is gone and replaced with a Chinese takeaway. If you ever went to the library or clinic in Gilnahirk Rise (my old street) they still look the same. Yes we had huts when I was in P4 and P5,I thought they were great as they seemed to give you a bit of independence being away from the main building. Thats interesting about Hollands, I never heard that before maybe when this book comes out it will shed some light on it. Thats all for now, take care,William

kathrynspet

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:46 AM »
For anybody from the Gilnahirk area a book titled Gilnahirk was brought out this week with any profits going to the Marie Curie Hospice. It is a good read with lots of old photos of the area mostly from around the Gilnahirk Road, around the shops at both ends of the road, the primary school and the Presbyterian Church. Somebody previously said they thought the school used to be located across the road from the present site where Hollands shop was.This was confirmed in the book, the school was first called Tullcarnet National School, then later Tullycarnet Public Elementary School. The present Gilnahirk Primary School opened in 1939 and was originally called Gilnahirk Public Elementary School.

kathrynspet

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:36 PM »
Had a touch of nostalgia this morning at 8.45 when I was passing the old school and seen all the pupils making their way into school and it got me thinking that its 40 years since I was in P7 and in my last year at Gilnahirk. My daughter is a P7 pupil herself in another school and I have told her to make the most of it as big school is so much different.The only real difference was all the cars double parked on both sides of the road outside the school gates that wouldn't have been there in my day back in 1970.

four-stroke

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
Hi Katherinespet, If you lived in Gilnahirk Rise, you must have known the Blain brothers, Colin and Peter. They lived in the corner bungalow at the top of the Rise. Their late father was my chief engineer at sea and I keep in touch with their mum who lives in S. Africa as does Peter. Colin lives in the north of England Somewhere

kathrynspet

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 07:53:27 PM »
Hi Katherinespet, If you lived in Gilnahirk Rise, you must have known the Blain brothers, Colin and Peter. They lived in the corner bungalow at the top of the Rise. Their late father was my chief engineer at sea and I keep in touch with their mum who lives in S. Africa as does Peter. Colin lives in the north of England Somewhere
I know the house you are talking about but not the people. I lived at the bottom of the street one from the end in no.35, but I think I would have known them if they lived there the same time as myself.

kathrynspet

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »
Just heard today that Mr Cumming the iconic teacher from my time at Gilnahirk primary will be 88 on tuesday. Hope he has a good day with his family and looks forward to many more birthdays.

irodie

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »
I went to Gilnahirk primary  school between 1958- 1962. I saw on  one of the postings that Mr Mc Cartney died in 2007 - I was saddened  to learn that but he must have been quite old.

kathrynspet

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
I can remember going to Supermac(who remembers it?) in my parents car and always seeing Mr McCartney out the front of his house in Roddens Park. I would always think about him nowadays when I pass Roddens just off the Knock Road. May he rest in peace.

len

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »
hi just looking through some of the posts and decided to ask anyone out there did they ever hear of david lyttle who went to our school and if so would anyone know his whereabouts love to speak to him again