Author Topic: Valentine Street  (Read 22255 times)

aussietrekker

Valentine Street
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »
Had a visit from a cousin in NSW the other week, and he asked me about Valentine Street which was knocked down to make way for the ring road. So we hoked out some old maps and found that it was down the road from where Yorkgate is now. An ancestor on his Dad's side had a pub there long ago and we're hoping someone might know its name. The ancestor, John Taggart left Belfast as a young bloke in 1875, went to Manchester for a couple of years then finally Sydney. The pub at that time was run by his stepfather, a dodgy character named Reid, according to John's gem of a diary which he kept from 1875-78. Would anyone have old photos of the street before it was pulled down?
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

belle

Re: Valentine Street
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
i lived in the next street along, Moffatt Street, sorry, though. i have any pictures and i'm noy old enough to remember 1875 :D :air_kiss:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

sean d

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
Used to live in economy place ,but never remember a bar in valentine st ?
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

artibell

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
37 39 & 41 Valentine Street   Reid Robert Jas. Spirit Dealer

FRom the 1877 Street Directory

belle

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
flippin nora! artibell, that brilliant! that must have been at the top of the street, near North hill Street. thanks for that ;)

zippy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
i was born in Valentine street and also lived in moffatt street for a wee while, i think our house was the last to get pulled down.

Pro deum et patria

sean d

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
i was born in Valentine street and also lived in moffatt street for a wee while, i think our house was the last to get pulled down.
Zippy we were buying our house when we got the investing order, no one could find the deeds. so our house was standing for months after all the rest. Finally got the money with loads of interest in the 90,s :smile:
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

belle

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
zippy, what number did you live in? i'm sure i've asked you that before :smile:

apalachie

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
Did the Mc Nulty's live in Valentine St?
Oh for all our yesterdays.

aussietrekker

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
Thanks everyone, yeah I knew I was drawing a long straw expecting people to recollect who their neighbours were in 1875 :D
but a street address is great. The Robert James Reid listed in the directory was the ratbag stepson. When his father died in 1875 and he inherited the pub, he went downhill to ruin and two years later sold the pub and squandered the money in a short time, then joined the army. It looks like the place was on the corner of North Hill Street. Small world, as my great-grandparents lived in Moffett Street when my Granny was married in 1915. She worked at Gallaher's putting the cigarette cards into the packets.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

northstar

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
It used to be John Graham,s builder,and handyman from the lodge, yard  and rag place, doorway upstairs from Northill St,was used as a wee club by local young men, the mcnultys,bradleys,fogertys,joe turk ,john docherty,bobby mckeown,all good dart players,and I was the wee lad that run all the message,s for them and paid by the empty bottles,if any of the doneghtys or o,neills who lived facing,are still around,they can supply more info.,

belle

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
Did the Mc Nulty's live in Valentine St?
apalachie, there was an Emma McNulty lived in Valentine Street, she was my mums mate.
and i'm sure the lovely Dickie will correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't JR Mc Nulty live in Moffatt Street :scratch_ones_head: there may also have been Mc Nulty's at the top of Moffatt Street as well.

i'm laughing here, it was all such a long time ago. :D

apalachie

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Belle, I went to school with a guy called Sammy Mc Nulty who lived there and if memory serves me right he was a half decent footballer.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

belle

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
ah now, love, i wouldn't know about the fellas playing football.
you have me thinking now, did he have a sister called Marie?

db

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
l lived on Moffatt st but l never remember a pub on Valentine St there was one on Little  Georges St   db