Author Topic: Valentine Street  (Read 22256 times)

Dockenleaf

Re: Valentine Street
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »
What about  Columbus,Moffat ,Isabella ,henry,lt George's  Fenian gut.   Mooneys, maxwells.moores,mc evoys.  Cullinans. Delaneys. Mackins mc kennas lynches .doughertys,gormans. Mc keowns  there's more.  MD

There were the Rattigans ( Old Tom remembered 'jimmy connolly" as a wee lad ). The McCartney's too, an older couple. Their son, Joe played darts with my Dad for Hannigans Bar. There were also the Thompson's, who son Mark was my best buddy before we moved to AndyTown in '64/'65.
😎⚽️🍻🌎

Moondog40

« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
Mary  I never forget. They got a few mentions earlier.  :-*   I did say there's more.  Barney

The Murph

« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »

I'm Gerry's kid brother David. Yes I too remember the 'white lady' just opposite where Henry Street met Nth Queen Street.
Hello David, I have caught up with Gerry over the last few years, we were great mates right through school. Pass my regards to him.
Joe
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

pat-tierney

« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Hi My Name is Pat Tierney, Gerry and David's Brother from 32 Valentine Street. The family moved into 32 in 1949 and stayed until 1962 when we moved to Anderstown. We lived beside the Mc Connell family in No. 30 and in 28 the McCartney family and on the other side in 34 was the Clinton family, 36 was the Donaghy's 38 was the Hennessy's and 40 at the top was the O,Neill family.
Opposite us was the Rattican family Minsie and Tom and their sons Gerry and Jim great friends of the family.
Beside them where the Kane family and beside them the Thompsons , the Milligans and the Mc Guinness families. On the other side where the Bracken family I remember Hugh, Jim and Mary and beside them where the Mc Alorom Family. From them up to North Hill Street was a vacant store room which I can remember was used as a builders yard and before that it was said to be a Pub!!!! Great memories of that community great comradeship and fraternity. Our family expanded very quickly with Bill, Myself Pat, John, Gerry, Kathleen David and Michael. All the boys went to St Patricks CBS and onwards to Harding Street CBS Technical College. Kate went to St Pats in North Queen Street, Great memories of our youth abound, The Newsboys Club, The boy Scouts, Queen Mary Gardens, Alexander Park, The Water Works, Cafe Hill and the three caves!! St John Bosco Boxing Club, Herding cattle from the pens to the docks!! Collecting waste paper for the football team kits!!!! Bonfires on the 12th July and 15 th. August Robert Emmet  anniversary Celebrations. Long Summers spent joyously on the three steps!!!!The Oceanic Bar a hive of political debate where a young politician Gerry Fitt held court. Hope this jogs some memories. Thankfully all the bros and sister are still with us today, Dad and Mum have left us RIP. Mum used to work in Gallaher's before marriage and during our time in Valentine Street she use to bake apple tarts and made candy apples for sale. She was also a great seamstress after doing a course at the Haslam School and made us our shirts out of Floor bags were bleached beforehand to remove the lettering. I do remember her making the vests and shorts for the St. Bosco' boxers black satin with red stripes. I particularly remember the fight between Hugh Bracken and Jackie Donaghy  the looked great in mum's kit but the blood flew over those three rounds it was difficult to see the red from the black. Dad worked in the shipyard as an electrician's mate and also became a crane man, because of his education(he was a Queens College graduate in the Classics) he was the local scribe and was always giving advice on Social Services Taxation and all kinds of form filling.
In short a great upbringing great community to live and work in, great friends and great memories.    Pat Tierney

zippy

« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »

There were the Rattigans ( Old Tom remembered 'jimmy connolly" as a wee lad ). The McCartney's too, an older couple. Their son, Joe played darts with my Dad for Hannigans Bar. There were also the Thompson's, who son Mark was my best buddy before we moved to AndyTown in '64/'65.

I was born in my granda's house Tom Ratican and my granny was Mary. My dad was Jim Ratican.
Great to see these posts!!!
Pro deum et patria

Moondog40

« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
Mooney. Little George's  st

pat-tierney

« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Hi Zippy
Great to hear from you and all my family have great memories of your Dad Jim, he was very close to all of us in fact very like a big brother and his brother Gerry was my confirmation sponser. Your Granny practically reared my sister Kate whom called her "Mother" whilst her real mum was "Mammy". In fact  think your Dad and family moved across to Number 32 when we moved to Andersonstown. Your Dad was a great guy we all have fondest memories of Jim!!!!!!

zippy

« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »
Hi Zippy
Great to hear from you and all my family have great memories of your Dad Jim, he was very close to all of us in fact very like a big brother and his brother Gerry was my confirmation sponser. Your Granny practically reared my sister Kate whom called her "Mother" whilst her real mum was "Mammy". In fact  think your Dad and family moved across to Number 32 when we moved to Andersonstown. Your Dad was a great guy we all have fondest memories of Jim!!!!!!
Hi Pat
Thanks for those lovely words and my dad Jim was an amzing man but sadly passed away now but i keep in touch with my uncle Gerry's side :)
Can still remember Valentine Street and my granny Mary's mangle in the yard and the "pooley poo" in the middle of the night!
 :)
Pro deum et patria

davy forbes

« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »
Hello. My mothers name is McKeown. I think I've traced her paternal grandfather who lived at 10 Valentine Street . If I'm right his name was William Thomas McKeown and he married Margaret Marks. THey had a daughter Emily born 1902 and my mother's father James Carroll born 1907. The mother Margaret died when they had been married 10 years.My mother's father James Carroll died in 1940 when he was 32 from TB she was only 10 years old. She was an only child and is now 89. Does anyone remember the McKeowns from Valentine street. We think James Carroll worked in the shipyard or somewhere in the docks.