Author Topic: Valentine Street  (Read 22106 times)

Dickie

Re: Valentine Street
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
Hello Northstar,

Joe Turk was my uncle I remember this building but never but never as a club. Yes Belle the McAnultys were from Moffet St, as I have said before they moved to England and have done rather well. Apalachie, Sean was the good footballer, I spoke to Sammy a couple of years ago he is into music playing guitar etc. And Belle is correct there was a bar corner of Isabella St. The bar some people mention I think was the Oceanic on Little Georges St.

It used to be John Graham,s builder,and handyman from the lodge, yard  and rag place, doorway upstairs from Northill St,was used as a wee club by local young men, the mcnultys,bradleys,fogertys,joe turk ,john docherty,bobby mckeown,all good dart players,and I was the wee lad that run all the message,s for them and paid by the empty bottles,if any of the doneghtys or o,neills who lived facing,are still around,they can supply more info.,
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

belle

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
hello dickie, love. the pub, it may have been called the oceanic, but i always knew it as the wee bar.  :air_kiss:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

zippy

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »
17 valentine street i think and dunno what number in moffatt street but it was about 5 or six from the galaghers end.
Pro deum et patria

db

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
Belle did you have long blonde curly hair when you where young l think l remember you  anyway good to be in touch now l know who l am talking to   db

skinnyfella

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
The pub at the corner of Little Georges street and the 'Fenian Gut' was the Oceanic or the 'Wee Bar' as we affectionatley knew it. Many a time I had to leave our 'Oul Fella' back from it after his Saturday session.  My Ma and Da used to play 'Housey, Housey' outside Harry Mc Greevy's coal yard on the Spring and Summer evenings.

Never knew the proper name of the bombed out pub at the corner at the corner of Isabella street and Little Georges Street. What I did know was that it was haunted with the 'Ghost' of Herby Hazard. He must have liked pidgeons because the place was full of them. Sad Eh!! 

aussietrekker

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
My great-grandparents lived in 6, Moffett Street.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

moondog2

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 12:56:54 AM »
BORN IN LITTLE GEORGES ST  ALMOST OPP OCEANIC   AKA  "PENICILLAN HOUSE" .HOWS IT GOIN JOE AND PETER AND ALL FROM MOFFATT ..  / BOBBY O LIVED @ECONOMY PLACE. .THINK BOMBED PUB  WAS DUKE OF YORK. .BARNEY

jinx

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
Hello Barney
 Nice to hear from you. Cant believe that its just over a year since I saw you in the Rocktown with your two minders....Missus Barney and Patsy R... Will be home next month for a week, if you want to repay some of that beer which you took from a intoxicated man! .LOL

Hope Frank and Harry are well and good.

wonder woman

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
I remember loads of girls from Moffett and Valentine Streets, i see some of them from time to time   Joan Foy... Roisin Slavin... Olive and Kathleen Griffen...Kathleen Hilles...Ann Murray. I remember Belle Morgan she went to Australia her brother was the snooker player. Trying to remember more but its hard to think that far back. :D 
My head is in a spin, my feet don't touch the ground.

wonder woman

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »
Sorry Rosaleen Slavin not Roisin.

belle

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
i knew Rosleen Slavin, Kathleen Griffin, Joan Foy, Ann Murry and Bell Morgan. in fact i went anout with Rosleen Griffin. Roseleen Slavin lived in Isabella Street.

wonder woman

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
Ach belle it was great then we all went to St patricks ps and everyone knew each other so well, we played in all the wee streets down your way and up the New Lodge and our Mummys didnt have to worry about us the way mums do today :-*

belle

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
isn't that the truth ww, and there was no harm in us either :-*

moondog2

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

belle