Author Topic: Summer Holidays  (Read 10093 times)

Christopher

Re: Summer Holidays
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 01:24:25 AM »
They were indeed Pierrots, weedotty. Most seaside places with a pier had a troupe of Pierrots. I am not sure if they were resident in the town for the whole summer or moved from one town to another. They may have stayed the whole summer in places where there were a large number of holiday makers but I'd imagine the ones in Donaghadee were there the same day each week and in other towns on different days. I saw Pierrots when holidaying in Donaghadee too. http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/sesll/stella/starn/crit/WAGGLE/seaside.htm

weedotty

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 01:29:38 AM »
Thanks Christopher, interesting reading about the Pierrot's...you're just a little hive of information.  ;)

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57:47 AM »
Thanks to you too weedotty,

There's not much more I enjoy than looking for information

Christopher

giannineo

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
Wee Dotty,I had forgotten about Ballywhiskin.My Aunt had a caravan there for a summer and I spent most weekends there.The ice cream shop in Donaghadee may have been the Entente.There was a very smart gent in there who wore a pristine white jacket,and their 6d ice cream 'pokes' covered in chocolate vermicelli were something else.
        From what I know ,the Pierrots came year after year and two of them came from Port Talbot in Wales.My aunt and uncle kept up the friendship for years and the a lady Pierrot visited my Aunt up until a couple of years ago.You could sit on the Harbour wall and watch them.They would come round and take up a collection after the show.
          The correct seaweed was gathered for Dulse and laid out to dry on the slope down to the sea behind the main harbour wall.Sold at 3d or 6d a bag.

EllCee

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
"Sold at 3d or 6d a bag."

It now sells at 25p a bag, from a house just at the end of the row, behind the Lifeboat Station, where the road turns to The Commons, or goes on straight to the pier.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 09:34:58 PM »
Hi Giannineo and Les, The fishing boat "The Brothers" .. did that belong to the Nelson family? This site mentions that they took people on fishing trips and over to the Copelands for more than sixty years. It must be well over sixty years as my mother used to tell me she remembered the Nelsons of Donaghadee when she was a young girl. She was born in 1909 http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk There were several members of the Nelson family on the crew of the Sir Samuel Kelly when she rescued people from the Princess Victoria. http://hort.net/+13nj

EllCee

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »
Nelsons own the Moat Inn, but I don't know if there is a connection with the lifeboat family.

I knew, until a couple of years ago when he sadly died, a Capt Jim Nelson who lived in D'dee, but I believe he was from another branch of the Nelson clan.  He sailed the world in oil tankers, and latterly was interested in MG cars.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »
There are some more Donaghadee people on this site Les. http://hort.net/+13nk I think I will have to do some more research on my family tree as I think mother's side of the family was related to McAuleys and Barnetts who had houses in Donaghadee when she was a young girl. There are some great pictures of Donaghadee here http://hort.net/+13nl

There have been some interesting modes of travel from Donaghadee to Portpatrick, Les. Knowing you, you'd drive to Larne and take the ferry to Stranraer .. then drive to Portpatrick. In 1947, 33 year old Tom Blower swam over to Portpatrick .. it took him sixteen hours. http://www.irelandtoscotland.com/blower.htm The pierrots got actively involved in the attempts too. In 1924 some of them followed swimmer Mercedes Gleitz in a boat ... not so much "Music While You Work" more "Music While You Swim" The pierrot's accordion and banjo accompaniment obviously was not sufficient .. If the Donaghadee Male Voice Choir had been around in those days they could have given Mercedes encouragement too.   

giannineo

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 02:04:35 PM »
The fishing boat "The Brothers" did indeed belong to the Nelsons.Other day trip boats were the Miss Dorothy and the Miss Laura.Allegedy,withcraft took place on one of the Copeland islands circa early 70's-woooooooooo !
      The Nelsons were more than likely aboard the Sir Samuel Kelly in the rescue of the Victoria.One of the Nelsons 'coxed' the lifeboat.I read the official report on the sinking of the Victoria.If I remember rightly,the scuppers were not capable of clearing flooding on the car deck.The official document was lent to me from a UTA  employee and made interesting reading.

EllCee

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 02:31:20 PM »
      The Nelsons were more than likely aboard the Sir Samuel Kelly in the rescue of the Victoria.One of the Nelsons 'coxed' the lifeboat.I read the official report on the sinking of the Victoria.If I remember rightly,the scuppers were not capable of clearing flooding on the car deck.The official document was lent to me from a UTA  employee and made interesting reading.

You may find this interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/down/sir_samkelly.shtml

giannineo

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
Cheers Les,great links and excellent reading.My mother told me that Donaghadee boats took part in the Dunkirk evacuation.
         There is a beautiful house which sits on a headland between The 'Dee and Groomsport(Orlock Head?).Anyway,the story goes that its owner perished on the Princess Victoria and within sight of his magnificent House.
       Would be great if the Sir Samuel Kelly could be saved-G.

EllCee

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
That house belonged to an MP.  I think his name was Smyth.

On the next "headland", going towards D'dee, an even larger, and in my opinion not so nice, house has just been built.

EllCee

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
The MP's name was Smylie, not Smyth. 

Funny how flashes of knowledge appear whenever you are doing the dishes!

giannineo

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 06:36:53 PM »
Les,would that'new'house be the property of The Herman's of past Chief Constable claim?

EllCee

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »
No.  The Hermon's house is opposite the Golf Club clubhouse. 

The one I am referring to is just before Cyril Lord's old house, but on the sea-side of the road, jutting out into the sea.