Author Topic: Matthews Plevna street in 1911  (Read 9013 times)

Meg

Matthews Plevna street in 1911
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:32:54 PM »
Hello
i am seeking information on a family called Matthews last sighting is in 1911 when they where residing in Plevna street number 34
a widow Mary Matthews and daughters Esther 23 & Theresa 18 also listed is a grandchild a Mary Alice McWade age 13 .
does anyone have these Matthews lurking in their tree?
kind regards
meg

Mageeka

Re: Matthews Plevna street in 1911
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »
Hi Meg
My wife lived at number 28 plevna.  I will speak to her mum and see if she has any memories.   My wife thinks that in the 40s Johnsons ( Old folks lived there ) and if not it was Mc Mahons

Meg

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:01:13 AM »
Hello Mageeka
thanks for your reply i sure would appreciate you asking your mother in law if the surname of Matthews rings any bells with her .
kindest regards
Meg

Mageeka

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:27:57 AM »
Meg
I will be calling her tomorrow
M

Meg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
hello Majeeka
thanks ;D

Mageeka

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 09:22:35 PM »
Correction on that Meg
She will not be home until Sunday , but I will ask her then

Meg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Hello Majeeka
sunday,monday this month next month whenever will be fine by me, for as it stands unless i strike lucky with help from someone like yourself i don't suppose i will be able to bring my lost Matthews family members together on paperwork after 1911 or track down living decendants.I'm just thankfull that i have generated a response that holds out a glimmer of hope for which to you i am gratefull.
kind regards
meg

Mageeka

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:27:46 PM »
 :) :)
Hi Meg  it wiil be to morrow and I hope she has some info to help
I know that she will remember who lived at that address in the 30s
M

Meg

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »
Hello Majeeka
thankyou  :)
kind regards
Meg

Mageeka

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »
Meg
Got in contact with my MIL  She moved to 28 plevena st in 1935.  At that time in number 34 lived the Johnsons  Mrs Johnson was the oldest in the whole st and was in number 34 for a long time  I surmise that the johnsons moved into 34 after the matthews left
My MIL has no recollection of of the matthews name.
The only matthews that i knew in my time were matthews who dealt in rags and scrap metal
I am guessing that your Matthews probably did not move too far from Plevna St  I will keep my eyes open as I know there were matthews in the Pound loney
However i did not know them

Meg

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »
Hello Majeeka
Thankyou for your message your MIL 's recollection  that the Johnstons lived in number 34 in 1935 really does help narrow down the time frame for me so please will you pass on my sincere thanks to her.
The Matthews family that you remember Majeeka that dealt in scrap metal & rags sound interesting i well remember the horse & cart as a child where the men shouted something that sounded like Rabo. .
I have found one connection to metal with the Matthews i found a John matthews age 25 a sheet metal maker in the 1911 census living with a Joseph Still a tailor (his step father )more than likely the surname is actually Stitt ,residing in  little may street.
Thankyou for saying you would keep your eye open for me that would be appreciated,once again my thanks for being interested enough to try to help me in my quest.
kind regards
Meg

Mageeka

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
Meg
I have older siblings who remember almost all the folks from that area.  I will ask them and give you a list of any Matthews +streets in which they lived.  That is any that they can remember
I do know that there was a Matthews connected to the musical scene in that area and i will find out more about them
Just an interesting addition and something to bear in mind
You mentioned sheet metal workers
Well a long tome ago in the fifties there was a sheet metal shop in Sheils St which is less than a mile from Plevna.  I don't know how long they were in business but almost all sheet metal workers in that area served their time in that company.

Meg

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »
Hello Majeeka
that would be great if you could speak to your siblings regarding Matthews
looks like i will be googling for sheet metal workers/business ;D
thanks for the tip off regarding Sheils street could be a good starting point if i can establish how long the business existed for in that area.
Until the 1900's all connections to the Matthews men that i have found where invoved with the shoe/boot making trade.
thanks once again
kind regards
Meg

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
Eureka Meg
Talked with my bro in law
He is 70 plus years old and he gave me a list of all Matthews that he knew
Well without me mentioning the occupation his last matthews on the list were bootmakers and they had a shop at the corner of Quadrant St and Albert St This was back 60 years ago Approx late mid 1940s
I bet these are your folks

The other Matthews that he mentioned were Matthews from Cinnamon St and Matthews from English St
He said that you may find some of these were related to each other.

BTW
I Am still searching

Meg

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
Hello Majeeka
Eureka indeed   ;D that is amazing even if i never find a connection it really does seem like some progress is now being made thanks to you and your relatives and i am very gratefull for the help.
i wish the elder members in my family had such great memories not that it would help me with this particular branch of the tree as no one still alive knew of any relations with the surname of Matthews ,it would seem that i am the only nosey one in the family ever ::) to what to know who those that have gone before me where, and how did they live.It would seem questions where never asked in their generation like who their dad's aunts/uncles/cousins where. and can't seem to get their heads around why i need to know .
i will try to follow up the street names you have given me Majeeka please pass on my thanks to your bro -in- law .
kindest regards
Meg