Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500691 times)

Jimmy55

Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
Anyone from the shore road  area of Belfast?.

Seaviewite

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
It's a long road that Shore Road. ::)
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

sonofshanks

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
My Aunt lived in Seabank Parade for many years and we would visit on a regular basis. Used to get the trolley bus along the Shore Road and get off at Premier Drive and walk up that big hill. Standing on that hill one could see half of Crusaders pitch. I remember the Co-op at the bottom of the hill, the Brickies, the Troxey cinema and Putseys ice cream parlour. From the top of the hill in Premier Drive you could get a magnificent view of Belfast Lough.
Great days and very happy memories indeed.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

McGurggle

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:38:37 PM »
Mount Vernon 1950-1972.  It was a lovely 'mixed' estate and no-ones door was locked to the neighbours. The only wall painting was on the inside of your house. Before the maisonettes were built people used to picnic on the grassy hill at Lowwood and were treated to lovely view of the Co. Down hills and the sounds of real work going on in the shipyard. Lovely days !
 ::)
McG

Seaviewite

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »
Was Mount Vernon there as early as 1950 Mac?
I know the big house, later to become a special school, was there but I didn't think the actual housing estate was there in 1950.  Could be wrong like!
Remember we use to go down to Lowwood to get wood for the bonie, then formed a procession in dragging the tree branches along the road. ::)

Jimmy55

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:49 AM »
I use to live in Mount vernon in the maisonettes 1965 to  1980 , not sure what year the estate was built. The special school has long gone pensioners bungalows
are now on the original site. The maisonettes are long gone too.

McGurggle

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
My family moved to M.V.Drive in 1950 from Downview Bungalo's. M.V.Drive was only a mud track. M.V. Road had no name and there was 4' gates accross it. When they tarmaced it the locals called it 'The New Rd. M.V. House was then a ruin and I used to watch the rats in the old stables. I was only 3 or 4. Later they turned it into M.V.School. When I was about 13/14 a new boy came to Dunlambert in my class. He was Alan McAreevy. His da had got the caretakers job in M.V. School and had to re-locate from BallyGo. He and I used to play in the gymnasium after school hours.
When the maisonettes were built, many families moved to them but most soon regreted it. Our next door neighbours (the Masons) moved there and soon moved to New Zealand.
I was raised in no. 21 M.V. Drive and my brother recently put it up for sale. We were the only family to live in that house till then.
After my marriage breakup I lived in M.V Walk for a couple of years and briefly M.V Park.
I remember a lot of the original M.V. folk Catholic and Protestant, so give me a shout if you were there then.
'Days of our lives'
McG
BTW There were never any fights between Prods and Taigs there. It was the 'Drive' Vs. the 'Gardens' and ususlly over 'bonie' wood at the twelfth.

Seaviewite

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
You stirred the memories there McG.  I remember when Mt Vernon Road had the gates/barriers across it and remember it being given the new surface.
My Aunt must have moved there after it had grown a bit more. They lived in Mt.V.Grove, I think it was.
I remember we use to play in that area before the maisonettes were built. Use to swing across the creek on a rope hanging from a tree.  It was a real adventure playground.

McGurggle

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
"The wee river" flowed down towards where Ross House is now. It then took a sharp left turn and went under M.V. Road and ran parallel with the Shore Rd and disappeared underground again about halfway between M.V. Rd and Lowwood Park. If your football went underground (there was a wee boy-made pitch beside the river at M.V.Rd) you could go down the tunnel and your ball would be found trapped on an iron grille where the river swung right under the Shore Rd. and down to the Lough.
When I lived in M.V. Walk many years later (approx 1993) the Housing Exec. were investigating damp and flooding through the big concrete wall along M.V.Walk. I informed one of them about the river and he basically said "[censored]" to me. He was a wee bit apologetic when they realised I was telling the truth. HoooHummm. Such is life. Its great seeing a smug bestid humbled.
Did you know Rodney Skelton who lived in the house in M.V. Park at the end of M.V.Grove facing the school gates? Think he went to S. Africa.

McG

lawsy55

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
 i lived in mount vernon walk 1963 to 1968 in the maisonettes; i recall camping out on the field  to protect the boney. a few name i recall are; adam barr.esther barr;geroge kerr clifford brown; lorna heaney;aaron beatty bobby major;jimmy mcmullan; i used to go to dunlambart school up fortwilliam;  we used to to the troxy or the lido sat afternoons  and watch tarzan movies lol great fun in thoses days brings back some great memories;
 my familey name is law i was billy my bro was jimmy and we had 3 sisters; all still doin well and living all over england. any one remembers me pls get in touch.

McGurggle

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
i lived in mount vernon walk 1963 to 1968 in the maisonettes; i recall camping out on the field  to protect the boney. a few name i recall are; adam barr.esther barr;geroge kerr clifford brown; lorna heaney;aaron beatty bobby major;jimmy mcmullan; i used to go to dunlambart school up fortwilliam;  we used to to the troxy or the lido sat afternoons  and watch tarzan movies lol great fun in thoses days brings back some great memories;
 my familey name is law i was billy my bro was jimmy and we had 3 sisters; all still doin well and living all over england. any one remembers me pls get in touch.
I remember Adam Barr & Aaron Beatie. Thats about all. I was working long hours in the City Centre in 1963 and I went away to sea in '65.
There's a great thread about the Lido here.http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,39141.0.html
I got my first "lumber" in the Troxy at a Saturday matinee
 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
McG
Ps. I went to Dunlambert too. 59'-63'

lawsy55

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
hi mcgurggle
seems like we were at school at the same time and your name is familier; i bet my kid bro will know you; i was in the army cadets  in dunlambart; with jim beggs; alister kidd ; just two names i recall from school days; you must have known me if you knew aaron beatty ? there lots of faces in my mind but the name i cant remember.

Seaviewite

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
Did you know Rodney Skelton who lived in the house in M.V. Park at the end of M.V.Grove facing the school gates? Think he went to S. Africa.

McG

I did know Rodney Skelton McG.  Was in the BB with him and I think he even went to the same school - Ashfield, I know it was at the other side of town but there were a few from Mt.V that went there before Dunlambert became an option.  Geordie Mogey and Jim Hylands were a couple I remember.

lawsy55

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »
seaviewitesorry  i dont recall that name ; but my memory aint what it was lol

dendar

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
hi mcgurggle my cousin alan beattie lived in mt vernon grove ( i think that wa the name ). you entered it from fortwilliam dr. he was there in the early 60's.I would visit him on saturdays as i lived in the white city. we would play cricket in front of his house in  the field ,and football on waste ground further up near the shore rd.
I alse knew brian harland ,and rodney skelton sounds familiar.
regards
dendar

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy