Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2226258 times)

Seaviewite

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2012, 05:36:10 AM »
You mentioned Ritchie St. and I remember my Dad telling me he was born
there and I think he went to school there(St.Paul's)
It certainly is a small world. :)

Newry, St.Paul's School was attached to the St.Paul's Church of Ireland which was opposite the York Road Railway Station.  The school featured in the popular 1953 movie Jacquline.
St.Paul's also had a Church Hall on the corner of Pittsburg Street, York Road, which was used by their youth organisations like the Boy's Brigade [11th] and Girl's Brigade. Not sure if it was ever used as part of the school, it wasn't in my time anyway.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Dargan

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
  It was Ivan street Dargan. Ritchie st was the one before it I think.

I know we're now into the realms of York Road, but please look here later for 2 views of Ivan Street.
If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then "good" isn't.

Dargan

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Dargan,Thanks to you I can now visualise the area
around the Terrace.It means such a lot to see those photo's.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised.
Thank you for taking the time. :)

Newry, it's been a pleasure. I'm so glad people have enjoyed them and that they have helped you gain an appreciation of the locale you were born in.

Dargan

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Folks: I will continue here until I run out of images. Also on Margaret's "photo request" thread. Unfortunately there is nothing really all that different except for one at the corner of St. Vincent Street that depicts a couple of shops taken, as usual, around 1990/91; but I might as well show the lot. I have one older picture showing McCann's pub at the corner of Bute Street(?) but I am awaiting permission to put it on from a relative of a person on the picture. All the best to all. Dargan.  :)

RSL

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »

Newry, St.Paul's School was attached to the St.Paul's Church of Ireland which was opposite the York Road Railway Station.  The school featured in the popular 1953 movie Jacquline.
St.Paul's also had a Church Hall on the corner of Pittsburg Street, York Road, which was used by their youth organisations like the Boy's Brigade [11th] and Girl's Brigade. Not sure if it was ever used as part of the school, it wasn't in my time anyway.

Hi Neighbour,
Thanks for that interesting information.
I remember going to see that film at The Forum,Ardoyne,with my two older sisters.
My Dad didn't talk much about his childhood,but as children we were very curious and managed to get a few snippets
occasionally.
He did say he went to? Lifeboys and BB at his church.
He also worked as a messenger boy for a shop (somewhere around York Rd. or street)I can't remember
the name, and had to deliver groceries all along the Shore road. Sometime the customers didn't get their full dozen eggs
as it was a bit rough crossing the tram lines at full speed!
This would probably have been in the 1930's.

Seaviewite

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
had to deliver groceries all along the Shore road. Sometime the customers didn't get their full dozen eggs
as it was a bit rough crossing the tram lines at full speed!

:D

RSL

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
  Hi Newry, All good here in Beautiful Sydney although we have had a pretty average summer so far. Came here 23 years ago,I usually go back to Belfast every few years or so. Hoping to go  back in May/June.
Where you born here in Australia ? South Australia is the only state I haven't been, is  on my list though. :)

Hi Jimmy,
I was born in Belfast and did most of my schooling there,except for two years in England.
I came to Sydney in mid.1960's then moved to S.A. where I worked,got married and have lived ever since.
I enjoyed my time in Sydney as my sister and I went Youth hostelling in our spare time and saw quite a
bit of NSW.

Don't believe everything you hear about S.A. especially from those Melbournians.lol  :)
It's a good place to live and visit,although a bit too hot and dry in Summer. Spring,autumn and winter
are my favourite months.
Have a lovely trip when you go back.

delane

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
the meek family, lived in around ship st- whitla  area back  the 50s,??..did u know them there was a maureen meek,..any ideas,...cheers,...delane..
the older you get the worse you get..

Seaviewite

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »
the meek family, lived in around ship st- whitla  area back  the 50s,??..did u know them there was a maureen meek,..any ideas,...cheers,...delane..

Now that's the York Street area Delane. A whole new territory.

delane

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
cheers, seaviewite..my father ran about that area in the 50s,york st, grove park,. do you know of any film footage, of molly seaton,playing football at seaview, or any photos, back a few years, back, or any info, fron crusaders ground, if they had any archive, or who to ask,for more info plz..sorry to go off topic,.. regards,...delane..

Seaviewite

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Not sure about any photos of Molly Seaton playing at Seaview, I recall seeing one of her on another thread - playing for Ireland at Windsor Park.
Plenty of archive material and photos would be available from the Crusaders club.  I have an old photo of Seaview from around the 50's or 60's but not sure how to load it on here.  Can email it to you if you pm your email address to me.
Any questions about the Crues, ask and I'll try to answer.

allymac

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
Would anyone have an old photograph of the pub at the corner of Grays Lane when it was known as the Donegall Arms?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

McGurggle

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
Would anyone have an old photograph of the pub at the corner of Grays Lane when it was known as the Donegall Arms?

I'd love to see that again. Especially the beer garden with the weeping willow and the old tram for the kids to play on. Way before it's time, can anyone else think of a pub in the 50s that had a beer garden like that?
McG

jobooth

« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Yes shore road long and runs from York street to Mill Road. However, since mt vernon mentioned the name Tommy Doyle springs to mind. Attended Star of the Sea School.

delane

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
Not sure about any photos of Molly Seaton playing at Seaview, I recall seeing one of her on another thread - playing for Ireland at Windsor Park.
Plenty of archive material and photos would be available from the Crusaders club.  I have an old photo of Seaview from around the 50's or 60's but not sure how to load it on here.  Can email it to you if you pm your email address to me.
Any questions about the Crues, ask and I'll try to answer.
..thanks,for the offer of help,.seaviewite..could you send a crusaders, a message,asking for info of big molly, in there archive,plz.molly,played..charity matchs, at seawiew in the 50s, &60s,..thanks again,....cheers...delane..