Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 1994384 times)

Dargan

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12720 on: January 09, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »
Hallo Dot, I don't quite ever know what to do with praise, but thanks anyway, I know it's well meant.  :-*

I do what I do to keep this thread going and I know that the thread has to evlove out of its present confines to do that - in much the same way as social media as a whole has to evolve and get out of ruts it is stuck in. I hope that the shore Road isn't subjected to more mindless vandalism as its last few, more historic houses, originally part of a bigger community, are probably always under the threat of demolition from people with profit in mind, and not community. I can never get over that people think the likes of Tesco's is preferable to little local shops which warm and inviting atmospheres poured out of and visiting them felt like an occasion. They all had their own stamp.

Yes, I admit that jobs are created by the big companies but I wonder why these places have to swamp the little traders and not work hand-in-hand with them? A few will be reading this who recall the likes of Crawford's food store, Reids and Fannins, and the likes of these places disappearing represent a real loss whereas Tesco's can be bulldozed down one day to be replaced by Aldi's the next and no-one would give a rap. 

As for atempting to publish this stuff of mine:  I've no real interest in doing that but enjoy reading the stuff people do publish. Some of it is really marvellous, A while ago someone sent me a great booklet about their life in Islandmagee. I love to hear how ordinary folk lived and existed, many times against the odds. I just wish someone would do a Shore Road book mentioning the landmarks and ways of life, but maybe there's one out there I don't know about. All the best.  :-*

Burke's Peerage page.....no wait a minute, just "Burke's."

Dargan

« Reply #12721 on: January 13, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
Back to my Grandparents' house at 189 Shore Road.

Visiting there as child I got the feeling that they were weary of life, in the way a child picks up on it. I don't want to get boastful as there's nothing worse than reading about the perceived glories of someone when they're mentioning their own brood. So, suffice to say that I was wrong about that as life still held interest for them. The Communist movement on the Shore Road might have died a death in the modern times of the seventies, but its ideas were held fast by Granny who believed in them because she believed in equality and wanted everyone to get the same. My grandfather had other ways to express this, and one of them was that when he was flush everyone in the ice-cream parlour would be stood a knickerbocker glory on him. They were welcome to attend a roller-skating rink with him too. He didn't drink except for the odd tiny bottle of stout now and again. As I look back on him, I wish he could have experienced a glass or two as it might have helped him with some of the distress he had in his later years.

Why I was wrong about believing they were world-weary was this was this: I associated a dark house with gloom. I didn't know until years later that dark corners could hold a lot more than attenuated light. 

Now back to the house and its tiny postage-stamp grounds. There was an enclosed yard at the back with a high wall, and in it, not much to please the eye because everything was utilitarain. There was a disused outhouse with the rotten shaft of brush. A pile of coal and a smaller one of slack lay out in all weathers. We weren't allowed to mix it up. This was the only instruction, mildly issued by my Granny. She was right to tell us about this restriction because there was nothing to play with out there and on an unimaginative day we could well have turned our attention to the fuel. It was as well that the girl from Canda didn't get out there. I daresay she'd have succeeded in setting fire to the concrete, she was a dab hand at destruction.

The big wooden door in the yard which led out to the entry was well bolted. It was painted dark green, and sometimes we went into the short entry which served the three houses on the terrace and was at a right-angle to the longer one at the back of York Park. There was a lady called Mrs Cairns then who lived in the first house in Yok Park, and her face, clothes and manner are more readily available to my mind today than ever. Her house was painted that dull orange shade fairly common back then when streets were very colourful.  Most elderly women in the seventies looked more like Edwardian women. Looking back it feels like having stalked the streets in a much earlier decade because of this settling down quickly into old age amongst them, and you were suspect if you dyed your hair. The men are another thing and to me a lot of them looked like they'd been the First Mate on a ship on which nobody washed. Some day I'll tell you all the story of how I got one hell of a shock in a place called Ramsbottom when one of these elderly women from the past appeared in front of me. No matter how much I rationalised that one - telling myself I'd seen someone ready to go to act in a play and was waiting for a lift already in costume at 10 A.M. on a sunday morning - was just about the most ridiculous thing I could have dreamt up.

But back to a yard on the shore Road I wish was still there. As people walked down York Park on the left-hand side at the gable of that house which advertised fags and VAT 69 galore, little could they have guessed that kippers milk and cheese were hanging on the wall on the other side. My Granny's fridge looked like a large, metal cuckoo clock with a door with a bit of gauze over it. An Uncle who was a sheet-metal worker had knocked it up as a homer. The pickings inside it weren't rich  had the fortress been penetrated by a starvo who'd found out about this outdoor fridge and had managed to scale that wall. My Uncle told me that in the thirties round the road he and his mates were always straving and, tortured by the shop-window of the Sugar Bowl, they roamed around looking for food. This took them to the "head" where they found a consignment of dumped Mars Bars. I can imagine that this was beyond their wildest dreams. He told me that there was no way they could have brought them home as their ma's would have taken a swipe at them, believing them to have been stolen, so they gorged themselves there and then and hid the rest under the railway lines. When they returned for more, they'd melted.

However, I would have loved to just even operate the door of the yard fridge because it was intriguing to me, and so much so that years later when my boss asked me what I wanted for Xmas, because we're in the engineering business I asked him to get this bloke Geoff to make me a similar contraption which I had on the exterior wall of the house in Manchester, and stored lemonde and other drinks there for yonks. Actually, the contents of my wall-mounted box were a bit more desirable than Kippers, and so it was as well that this part was all fenced-off because of who spilled out of neighbouring establishments at closing time. 

arch

« Reply #12722 on: January 13, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »
The Satellite/ Electric club(before my time ) is now a funeral directors. It is good to see the complete building has had a complete makeover and is in good use again.
Behind the houses on the left they have built a number of new houses which apparently have all been bought already. They cant have much of a view as the backs of the houses on the Shore Rd are at one side and the wall of a cliff with Low wood on top is at the other.

Back of Hutton tiles.

Dargan

« Reply #12723 on: January 14, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »
OH
MY
GOD.

How, at times, do you say what's obvious without it being perceived as contentious? It's a sticky wicket, and no doubt about it.  .Well folks, you've all heard of coastal erosion. People buying houses on the coast and the sea claiming their gardens at a rate of so many feet a year. Judging by those photographs it looks to me like there's more than one way to skin a cat right enough. They'll get the lot on the Shore Road, and surrounding areas, one way or another.  It looks once again like profit is the main driver in all things, and no-one there who cares enough to try to stop it all in its tracks. Even those whose homes potentially become precarious. I'm absolutely horrified.

He who gets demolition projects make a profit. Nothing left on the ground afterwards but unsightly, empty space to collect litter and dog guano doesn't matter, for it's only the people of the Shore Road who have to look at it.

Those who build houses make a profit, and if at the same time.   ....then it doesn't matter because money's been made.

Look out for your properties in and around the Shore Road because the enemy is all around you.

Dargan

« Reply #12724 on: January 14, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »
Sorry about being all over this thread, but I happen to feel very strongly about certain matters. Wish-washiness isn't my middle name. However, many of you will be glad to know I've other things to get on with and the place will be free again. I implore you, don't replace me with wishy-washiness, for the Shore Road needs you! Someone out there needs to form an action group to halt these silly, daft projects in their tracks. We all know that's a sandstone cliff, and sandstone equals vulnerability. It's not granite.  As far as I can see it's all more or less done and dusted now, though. Groan.

The spirit of Mr. Lee ought to live in someone. He was the last one to hold out in Fortview Villas, but unfortunately that refusal to be bought was resident in his heart and soul only. In Eden, you know, down Carrick way, there was a place called Lockhart's Lane. The area had wooden bungalows all built during the war and they were CRACKER with wee verandahs and all sorts of quaint rooms and plenty of garden for people to let chickens run around if they so pleased. Then something happened, and everyone built "solid" houses, tearing down their old places. Well, all the character went from the place. A couple of years ago a pal of mind spoke to someone who had had one of the wooden ones. He, like the rest, pulled his down and built in bricks, and he remarked this to my pal:

"I'm selling up." My friend asked, "Why?" He said, "I'm going to look for another wooden one somewhere up the coast. We all made a mistake. It's just not the same. All the character has gone."

:hi: :hi: :hi:

brixmis

« Reply #12725 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
Just called in to put the heating on. It's a bit cold in here lately. :skull:
Boomshanka

Dargan

« Reply #12726 on: January 17, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »
Anyone who knows there wherabouts of those fabulously wealthy people in Moira who have just won millions, please let me know on P.M., as I'd like to write to them to see if they would buy and renovate Depot Terrace and save it from oblivion. I believe they were prepared to give out money to good causes, and maybe they might be struck by the plight of the shore Road and the loss of its heritage. I'm sure they might earn themselves a title on account of good works some time in the future. They look the type.  :hi:

Dot/dash

« Reply #12727 on: January 17, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
Anyone who knows there wherabouts of those fabulously wealthy people in Moira who have just won millions, please let me know on P.M., as I'd like to write to them to see if they would buy and renovate Depot Terrace and save it from oblivion. I believe they were prepared to give out money to good causes, and maybe they might be struck by the plight of the shore Road and the loss of its heritage. I'm sure they might earn themselves a title on account of good works some time in the future. They look the type.  :hi:

that would be one splendid gesture Dargan        .       :)
love me       love my gelding    

Dargan

« Reply #12728 on: January 17, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Cheers, Dot. I always think it might be worth applying to people like this, for they've obviously some very human qualities. They looked like lovely, right-minded people. I loved the way the woman said she could take anyone out who might try to rob her. Good for her, the pillocks will think twice.

Eleanor McIlvenna

« Reply #12729 on: Yesterday at 11:19:34 PM »

I'd love to see the pic of the old depo Dargan.  I knew the last family to live in the Depot keepers house. Their name was Sullivan, I think they moved out in the 60's.
We lived in 567 Shore Road/ No.1 Depot Terrace before moving to Australia in 1975.  One of the reasons for moving was that we couldn't sell the house and buy another - that's the way it was in those days.  We just left it in the hands of a solicitor who eventually sold it, late 70's for about 1,200 pounds. It became the Taxi Company as you say and they rented out the upstairs rooms as flats.
The Terrace looks a bit tired in that photo, def seen better days.
The two old guys who lived in the other end terrace were homosexual and for a time were given a hard time.  Looked after their home well though and had a nice wee garden at the back.
Thing I remember was that we use to get about 100 quid a year from Thos Allen's for the advertising hording on the gable wall. Paid for the small mortgage we had.

Eleanor McIlvenna

« Reply #12730 on: Yesterday at 11:23:48 PM »
I Lived in Depot Terrace 567 Shore Road 1945-1953. My name was Eleanor Gault. My parents were Tommy and Mary. I would love to hear from anyone who lived there around that time. I especially remember the Hall family. I played with Patsy Hall.