Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2045931 times)

Dargan

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12915 on: March 12, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
This curious photograph of Lowwood Park in the snow was sent to me about 11 years ago. We never did fathom precisely what it was up ahead in the middle of the road near the first street lamp. It looks like someone perched on an invisible stool. It's possibly nothing at all, but it is a bit odd all the same. Second image is a closer view.

This week's Shore Road number one: Tip Head Blues by Mad Mick and the Troglodytes.

James James

« Reply #12916 on: March 13, 2019, 12:02:57 AM »
It looks like a figure in the road,... was the photographer protecting their lens with a piece of orange cellophane. ?  :)

arch

« Reply #12917 on: March 13, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »

Seen these planning applications for Tudor Lodge and Betting office, looks like a makeover is on the cards.

arch

« Reply #12918 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

Belfast castle gate lodge, Chapel of Resurrection and Belfast castle.

arch

« Reply #12919 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
This curious photograph of Lowwood Park in the snow was sent to me about 11 years ago. We never did fathom precisely what it was up ahead in the middle of the road near the first street lamp. It looks like someone perched on an invisible stool. It's possibly nothing at all, but it is a bit odd all the same. Second image is a closer view.

Looks like a kid building a giant snowman...

Dargan

« Reply #12920 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:01 AM »
It sure does, and in the middle of the road!
This week's Shore Road number one: Tip Head Blues by Mad Mick and the Troglodytes.

James James

« Reply #12921 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »
Very nice buildings pictures above, and a great enhancement of the snow scene.

Does this add anything to that topic,... I'm thinking that it's a figure standing in the road, facing the camera, bending forward, and making a pile of snow in front of his right leg.

It could also be a figure leaning forward to support a small child.

If those buildings pictures are left clicked on they will enlarge,... the sign on the gate lodge says "Dental Surgery".

locomotive

« Reply #12922 on: March 15, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
Now it's been mentioned, I'd go for somebody walking with a small child in the fresh snow in the middle of the road, definitely looks like it, I won't mention the death wish, dodgy.

Dargan

« Reply #12923 on: March 16, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
Hallo Locomotive. Thanks for your input on the photo. Don't worry about death wishes they're all part of the tapestry of life, and thankfully some pull themselves back from the brink of their own personal grimoire. But not in the case of the likes of Fred West who did right to move on, and who would state otherwise? However, the point is that genuine representation of things is important on a thread like this which has to burst its own boundaries to have a solid future, otherwise the whole thing's at risk of going up its own spiral staircase. My advice is to look away when the content becomes too black for you. It's a free world, lol.

On the image is my brother-in-law and his son to the left. They made it to the top of the hill without seeing anything to account for it. It's probably nothing at all, but it's a bit interesting all the same. Thanks for your input and keep it coming lad.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #12924 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
To the family of Ela who I know look in:

It wouldn't be right not to mention her passing. She was as "Shore Road" as it gets. She was a character and always had a smile. You felt life was bright when you met her. I've kept all her Xmas cards over the years and appreciated the "Woof-Woof" from Holly. Her love of animals is to be commended.

All the best,

Helen.

Dargan

« Reply #12925 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
I suppose these may be relevant as part of a historic record as the orange street lamps are disappearing now, reverting to white light again. Therefore, here are the other two sent to me that snowy evening 11 years ago. Looking at that snowman took me back years to the thrill of making one, but also the melancholy feeling of seeing it melt from the living-room window as the fire roared in the chimney. We've all been there as kids.

mmcgoverne

« Reply #12926 on: March 18, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
Hi Helen, I know I'm really late to the party on this query, but I'm sure I recall visiting a cafe on the Shore Road with my mother and a couple of her cronies; it was close to the Grove Theatre, and you had to go upstairs, so I think it was over another shop? This would have been early to mid 1970s.

One of the girls who worked there was sporting a huge bandage, they'd been scalded by the water heater, and I think we had tea and cakes - the fabled Donkey's lugs maybe? I recall picking desiccated coconut off mine - I'm not a fan. Maybe it was a tea shop as opposed to a full-on cafe? It was very narrow, with one set of tables along the inner wall.

It's a very vivid memory, as otherwise I don't recall anywhere else near our house that we ate out (discounting the Golden Fry of course).

On the subject of cafes, I always marvelled at the sheer number of tabs my dad ran with cafe owners across London- he never wanted for a plate of grub; it must have been his Shore Road charm :-)

Margaret

Here's another query open to all and sundry - and when forums are on a downer you have to shoe-horn in any reference at all to keep them going.

Yesterday my boss went out to put an ad in a shop window for a piano player for his band- the Mule Skinners. He came back laughing and reported that he'd heard 2 aul dolls in the queue in front of him. One said to the other,
 "Here, do you know what? When you go out for something to eat these days they're putting the food on wooden plates!" Whereupon the other one answered, "How would you put gravy on wood?"

It made me think about the Shore Road. I can't remember any cafes at all, and maybe someone else will and come on and tell us about it and a memory of going in. Was there anywhere you could get a cup of tea in the past, and sit and yarn away to the heart's content?

:hi:
Looking for info re the Jamisons @ garage 265-269 Shore Rd 1950s-70s
(Old) Fred, Ian, Clifford (Caesar), Stanley, Ken, Harold, Winnie, Phyllis, Hilda

Dargan

« Reply #12927 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »
Hallo Margaret,

Thank you very much for your reply. We should have more of these vivid memories of yours for they bring the place of  former decades alive again. You have the knack, and no mistake. But I can't think where you were for those Donkey's Lugs (that's a new type of bun to me I'm more of a gravy ring woman).

I am wondering if the "Willowfield" bakery maybe had a first-floor tea-room at one time? My mind is completely blank at the moment and although I can conjure up a mental image of the front of the building which was the "Willowfield," I can't recall precisely where it was. Somewhere beyond Fannin's shop going towards Belfast - meaning beyond the end shop on the Troxy's block on another row which maybe Lee Whiteside's confectionary shop was connected to? Otherwise there was a bit of a milkbar along there too with a chippy underneath. The people serving in it had sort of purple/maroon overalls and there was a lovely woman who looked like she was a south-sea islander.

Now, if it was above the Willowfield Bakery, it maybe succeeded a Barber's shop. I'll have a look at an early 1970s directory for you to see what we can come up with. (In the interim, someone might come on who can nail it).

I love these memories, there's nothing to equal them as they bring that subjective slant and observation which makes them completely unique, so more of the same when you get a chance, please. I'll not quote you any Admaski about observation (lol) but it's a thrilling thing to read when it reaches above the ordinary level of things. And I happen to know you do that extremely well indeed.

All the best, and thanks for coming on. Regards,

Helen

Dargan

« Reply #12928 on: March 18, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Well Margaret, I've looked for a cafe around there in the early 70s but have drawn a blank. The Willowfield Bakery was indeed near Lee Whiteside's, and I seem to remember a couple of shops there being pulled down leaving Lee's as a "stand alone place" which put paid to the Willowfield. I can now remember his shop looked a bit forlorn when neighbouring businesses were demolished, and I remembered going in with my Mother directly after the devastation and her chatting to him about the changes and him saying it hadn't been so good for business. He seemed cross. It's truly amazing what comes back when the stimulus is right, for this is a memory resurfacing from over 40 years ago! And I'm so close to remembering what we were buying too! Anyway, the directories bear all this out re. the buildings coming down.

However, one thing leads to another and I was soon, via the directories, travelling up and down the road between 1957 and 1972, and one thing I noticed, of which a vague glimmer entered my mind's eye, was that there was a hadware shop beyond the "Penguin" going towards Fortwilliam Arches. It's really funny because a white, plastic bucket flashed into my mind out on the forecourt, and other items hanging up. Sometimes you wonder if you're going a bit mad when these seemingly irrelevant things re-surface, but all the same it's great to have these recollections no matter how insignificant. When they suddenly re-surface I always find my dreams at night become more vivid and information-filled.

Another thing which interested me was that in 1957, someone called Miss Greer lived in 19 Mount Vernon Park and she actually gave out her phone number. She seemed to have the letters S.C.M. after her name and I wondered what that might refer to in 1957 and why she gave out her phone number? Did you know, too, a type-writer agent was in your place before your family? and next-door, some place which manufactured window-boxes for flowers? (The latter being a premises going towards Oakmount Drive).

Well, I hope someone else can locate that cafe for you, I'm stumped for sure.

Regards,

Helen  :hi:

CMcG

« Reply #12929 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »

... Another thing which interested me was that in 1957, someone called Miss Greer lived in 19 Mount Vernon Park and she actually gave out her phone number. She seemed to have the letters S.C.M. after her name and I wondered what that might refer to in 1957 and why she gave out her phone number?

The 1951 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows the following entry for Mount Vernon Park:

19. Greer, L.E., district midwife

So S.C.M. was probably State Certified Midwife.