Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2038507 times)

Number26

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12975 on: April 19, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »
Hi tommy,had 2 good friends from the shore road Alec pepsi Garrett and hector Cameron,sadly now deceased,real good guys

Dargan

« Reply #12976 on: April 20, 2019, 09:01:27 AM »
"Helen I would say looking at the car its heading in towards Carrick." (Tommy's words).

Aye, right enough Tommy. My oul doll's sense of direction isn't good.

I've never been able to figure out a lot of the pictures of Greencastle because it was more or less wiped by the time I was going into that area to that "charming" school full of bullies and teachers with a worse sense of direction than me. They taught us geography and had never been outside a ten mile radius except for the Missionaries with a smell under their noses and a notion that we were all superior to those in Africa. (Thank god for normal things like going on "the beek").

Rows and rows of cottages had been cleared by that time. Also, I think the area between Star of the Sea School (set back from the road and on higher ground) and Gray's Lane was rarely photographed. I'd like to be proved wrong about that one as the old house "Carlton Villa" which I photographed myself (and it's on the earlier part of the thread) was only a builder's storage point by my day, crap and scaffolding-planks lying everywhere. I'd like to see an image of it when it was a private house. It must have been really nice years ago with the extensive gardens and stream running down the side of it. You can imagine kids playing in it - water running by which had its source on the Cavey.   Then some years ago the religionists got hold of it and sent it to oblivion - the way they do with most normal things in life.

Greencastle is a lovely name for a place - even though it didn't take much imagination to name that area. But I wonder why it was called the "GREEN" castle? These things losts in the mists of time are certainly worth a thought. Maybe there was once a village green and it sat nearby, or else its name only goes as far back as the bleaching greens of linen manufacture. I know there's somewhere in the outer reaches of County Down (I think) called Greencastle also. Might take a look at it and see if those people know why their town/village was so-named. It might give a clue.

Anyway, thanks for your never-ending search for images. I for one appreciate them. I imagine there's a lot of people out there now who have realised there's not a great deal left of the Shore Road as it could be seen in the later years of the 20th century, and any catalogue of photo's - like this thread - is more than worthwhile.

I found the other day whilst walking, that someone or some group of people had decided to commemorate an old Quaker Burial Ground from the 1600s ona hillside. It was simply walled off with a drystone wall, and an open gate led into a small area of compacted dirt with a few mature trees, a bench to sit on and a stone circle on the ground for anyone who saw the need for a bit of a camp-fire. There were only four or five remaining headstones laid flat. I was quite interested in this because they all bore the name "Oddie" and I know Bill Oddie from "The Goodies" came from nearby. It was quite an appealing place with its own atmosphere. As I sat on the bench with my flask (of tea) I thought of our Ringan Point, and how no-one ever thought to sequester it and mark it out for people to know about, on behalf of "the suicides, unbaptised children and sailors washed up on the shore." They couldn't be washed up on the shore there now, there's virtually fog all till the Isle of Man. More like "washed up on the plastic bottles."

Tommy, I love the thought of the road as we knew it, it's a great thing to contemplate in moments in life which you can call your own.

Thanks Tommy.  :-*
This week's Shore Road number one: Tip Head Blues by Mad Mick and the Troglodytes.

James James

« Reply #12977 on: April 20, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
That might come as a surprise to the Lancashire born entertainer. The prevalence of the surname in that particular Ulster area makes a lot more sense though.

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Oddie

Dargan

« Reply #12978 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »
Have no clue what you're driving at James. Still, if you're 3 sheets to the wind over Easter I daresay we can overlook it. At least you're not a religionist. Amen to that!
This week's Shore Road number one: Tip Head Blues by Mad Mick and the Troglodytes.

Dargan

« Reply #12979 on: April 21, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
Happy Easter folks. Remember the silver streams on Cavehill dazzling in the sunlight, the new pale green buds coming on all the trees and vegetation, rolling your egg down a slope, Daffodils and Crocuses in people's gardens, warm scents on the air, special dinners at night, strange services at school in honour of the antics of Middle-Eastern people, aul dolls in fancy hats going to churches to get their fill of the same nonsense - only to come out again from that musty darkness to ridicule their next-door neighbour's choice of living-room wallpaper. Aye. What's real and what isn't? It's a question we ought to ask ourselves time and again as we go through life attempting to clarify this and that so as we can look in the mirror and know precisely where we're going, and why. And surely the swaying Daffodils, the humble crocuses and the majesty of Cavehill are the real things amongst it all.  All the best to you all on this sunny morning.  :hi:

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12980 on: April 25, 2019, 04:42:10 PM »
what a great pic so funny only on the shore rd  :D

Helen im getting myself mixed up I always get loughview and loughside mixed up , im wreckin my brain trying to work out where this could be,, maybe York park or one of those side streets on the rd I wonder if the gardens 
were at some time made longer as I don't remember the roads being so wide I.E if you look at the York crescent one the road is really wide looking , aybe you can trace this guy by his name the photo was taken in 1926  :-*
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

brixmis

« Reply #12981 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »
Hi tommy,had 2 good friends from the shore road Alec pepsi Garrett and hector Cameron,sadly now deceased,real good guys
I also knew both of these lads.
Alec was in the French Foreign Legion and was killed in a traffic accident and Hector was abducted from a pub in Carrickfergus and murdered. His body was found some time later somewhere in the Larne direction. I can't remember exactly where. I don't think anyone was ever caught for his murder.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Spudz

« Reply #12982 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »

Hi Number26 what age would Hector be and did he have any other brothers. I seem to remember the Cameron surname.

brixmis

« Reply #12983 on: April 29, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi Number26 what age would Hector be and did he have any other brothers. I seem to remember the Cameron surname.
Hector's real name was Hugh and he originally came from Shore Crescent before moving to Carrickfergus.
Support Soldier F.

Number26

« Reply #12984 on: April 29, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
Hector would have been 54.

Number26

« Reply #12985 on: April 29, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
Yea brixmis,Pepsi was a real laugh as was hector.pepsi went to the legion a few times and on one of his awols I met up with him for a drink.

brixmis

« Reply #12986 on: April 29, 2019, 03:29:07 PM »
One afternoon Alec was having a kick about in the Grove park.
All of a sudden he grabbed his coat (goalpost) and ran like hell. We didn't know what had happened until we saw these two big guys running after him.
It turned out they were members of the legion sent to bring him back.
Support Soldier F.

Number26

« Reply #12987 on: April 30, 2019, 08:28:35 AM »
Another time he got the foreign legion video out and decided to go back to it,but befor he went he got his fathers credit card went and got 2ladies from Bedford street and booked into the europa for the night.class  :D

Dargan

« Reply #12988 on: May 08, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »
To all the people of the Shore Road, tonight, who don't get royalty nor the need for it when the rest of us have to struggle on.  :hi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPSBPYeLBI

Dargan

« Reply #12989 on: May 08, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »
To the people of the Shore who like Royalty and Harry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdVFzdRZF0Q