Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2071627 times)

Dargan

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12990 on: May 11, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
Join me, people of the Shore, listening to this while we're waiting for another batch of Tommy's marvellous pictures or a revelation which completley changes our outlooks on something re. the road. That could be something that Keith might tell us, for he is always interesting. Or maybe someone will come forward with a great ghost story. You never know.

Now if you've already had your Horlicks, you'll maybe have to double-up for this might cancel out the effect, so be warned. This is somewhere I'd like to have been as it was all unfolding. I can't imagine it ever blasting out of Arthur Fannin's shop on a Saturday morning, but no doubt someone somewhere on the road knew all about it. Probably Mad Mick or someone from that bizarre fraternity of gentlemen Head-Hokers . Love it. I hate these advert's on youtube now. I can't even imagine what the hell the products they're trying to flog are. The world is a bit too unfamiliar these days. Goodnight to you all.  :hi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

Thanks for the play, Australia. Make it Radio Black Spot next time.

brixmis

« Reply #12991 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
Has everyone died? :sorry:
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12992 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
dunlambert house
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12993 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »

dunlambert house BEFORE its demolished as in the other pic

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12994 on: May 16, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »

grove baths

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12995 on: May 16, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
nope IM STILL HERE BRIXY  :D

Dargan

« Reply #12996 on: May 16, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
Tommy, great to see your name for I know now it's countdown to getting some more decent images. I know you're getting closer by the day to the cottages at the bottom of Fortwilliam and boy will I be delighted to see them. I'm rooting for you lad and good luck in your searches. You're in a league of your own.  :-*

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12997 on: May 17, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »

hiya Helen theres gotta be pictures of the cottages out there some where
I some times wish I was back home so I could go round all the old libraries
but im not giving up the search goes on  :-*

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #12998 on: May 17, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »

I'am not from the Shore Rd but in my working days working for different utility companies we often had to work in the Bute St/Ivan St area of York Rd with the help of a mechanical digger, during these excavations we would often dig up pieces of crockery and pieces of iron and very old bottles, even broken clay pipes etc, we got the impression that this area must have been built on the site of an old Municipal dump..does anyone know what that surrounding area was before those houses were built?.. I know it was a very very long time ago! just curious.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Dargan

« Reply #12999 on: May 17, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »

I'am not from the Shore Rd but in my working days working for different utility companies we often had to work in the Bute St/Ivan St area of York Rd with the help of a mechanical digger, during these excavations we would often dig up pieces of crockery and pieces of iron and very old bottles, even broken clay pipes etc, we got the impression that this area must have been built on the site of an old Municipal dump..does anyone know what that surrounding area was before those houses were built?.. I know it was a very very long time ago! just curious.

Hallo Jack, thank you for your enquiry and information. That entire coastline is strewn with items like that. You only have to dig down a few feet and the remnants of people's lives in bygone times - in the items you speak of - are present: old bottles, the old stone marmalde jars which people used to use afterwards to bake in or drink from, early lightbulbs sometimes remain intact and all sorts of other household items. I used to go down there and dig things up regularly, and I recall a clay pipe bowl with the name of an Ann Street purveyor moulded in the bowl, and a little robin. It's all part of the infill which began before the railway was built - in order to accommodate it.

There is an interesting item on the thread a good while back about the "Slob Lands" and "Beatty's Gut," and this will comprise the area you speak of. Terribly depressing place names, but maybe no wonder.  I think that the article was found by Jim who started this thread. In about 1852 or thereabouts a coffin was found to be staked down at Low Tide, and a letter was written into a Belfast paper about the grim find, or else one of the journalists was sent on the assignment. Someone, via letter, maybe asked for particulars. As a consequence, some man with a central Belfast address (if I remember correctly) answered the  letter and explained that people who had committed suicide were dipsoed of in this manner as they were not deemed fit for a "proper"burial. The entire coastline carried this taint for many years and has been described as a place "of dismal aspect" in some historical accounts, and all because persons wretched enough to lay hand upon themselves were considered lowly and sinful by the religionists who didn't want them in their graveyards. (who'd want to be in there with them anyway?)

The same sort of artefacts turned up at the Mount Vernon side of the road, where the prefab's were, and the people believed them to be items that had fallen off passing ships. I'd a pal whose grandparents lived in them and she told me that the people who dug their gardens often debated what these items meant and how they got there. But history tells us that Belfast's rubbish was brought here from around 1830 or 40, and that the lines carrying the trains to places in County Antrim were eventually constructed on the infill, as was the Duncrue industrial estate many years later.

Now take these remarks as "ballpark" as there may be other information which contradicts them somewhat. They are an approximation which can be corrected by additional information. Regards.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13000 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
hiya Helen theres gotta be pictures of the cottages out there some where
I some times wish I was back home so I could go round all the old libraries
but im not giving up the search goes on  :-*

I know Tommy. You and me to the death with all of this.  :-*

Dargan

« Reply #13001 on: May 17, 2019, 10:45:12 PM »
Hallo again Jack,

I forgot to mention that the original Tip Head entrance was through a tunnel up at the end of the road you have spoken of, and so the spread of infill you encountered will have been part of the [censored] of the new parcel of land that was created. My Mother's Brother-in-law who was born in the 1920s described it as a water-logged tunnel which kids waded through to reach the Tip Head where all sorts of finds were to be made. He said there was unspoken camaraderie between kids as long tins originally containg eggs imported from China were used as substitute waders or water boots, and that you were obliged to leave them for the next kids either entering or exiting the tunnel. How times have changed.  :hi:

N.B the censored word was a combination of the words "hard" and "core" as a single word, which for some obscure reason is seen as inimical to morality on these notice boards. You couldn't make it up.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #13002 on: May 18, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »

Thank you Dargan for that detailed and interesting reply, when we were excavating we had a guy on the back of the lorry and everytime a digger bucket full of excavation was dumped on the back he would get the shovel and hoke among it for artifacts etc, we did get some interesting things, one in particular was an old floral designed urn intact with the lid beside it, just a wee chip out of the base, and at the time we didn't realize that the old bottles were collectable...as you live you learn.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Dargan

« Reply #13003 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »

Thank you Dargan for that detailed and interesting reply, when we were excavating we had a guy on the back of the lorry and everytime a digger bucket full of excavation was dumped on the back he would get the shovel and hoke among it for artifacts etc, we did get some interesting things, one in particular was an old floral designed urn intact with the lid beside it, just a wee chip out of the base, and at the time we didn't realize that the old bottles were collectable...as you live you learn.

Jack, thanks, I'd love to have been there. Earlier on in the thread I posted the image of a figure I pulled out of a wall of mud when the floodlights were going in to the football field at the bottom of Lowwood Park. The holes were maybe 6 feet deep and I had a bit of a job getting back out of some of them again as it was Winter and it made for a bit of task, but youth and more supple limbs were on my side! This is in 1991/92. I'd about 2 or more glorious months of going down there every day as the spoil heaps were dumped beside the holes, so not only could you sift through the pile of dirt, you could also enter the holes and pull the gear out of the walls. I was watched whilst extracting this figurine and offered 20 quid on the spot by a greyhound walker who ran a local taxi company back then, but this was the type of prize I'd been hoping for since starting the endeavour! As a very young kid, the shards of pottery down there lying on the surface amongst the Scarlet Pimpernels and other wildflowers of the locale kept me interested, so when they excavated that ground up fully when I was still a youngish adult, it was like an extension of childhood whereby the treasure box lid was lifted. Some of the guys working there thought I was off my rocker, but the close-minded always have their say here and there. Further on down at Greencastle it was the same again. Same gear, same scrub land, and one day a group of RUC men joined me, first believing I was up to no good. They scaled the fence like nobody's business to approach me. When I explained that I wasn't bent on carnage and opened up a carrier bag to show them what I'd collected they accepted this and spread out to do a bit of a cursory search to see if they could add to my collection!

As you say, the bottles are now collectable, but oddly enough, very few were from the local mineral water company, Trayder's, which was down near where you were excavating. What I kept was given to a heritage centre with the exception of the figurine which became the memento of those very enjoyable times.

However, someone, like yourself, coming forward and able to give testimony of finding similar artefacts much further up the road is truly marvellous at this stage of this thread's history. To be able to hear, first-hand, of this type of experience is beyond value when trying to weigh things up, and it looks like you have been able to prove that the early landfill extended as far as we regulars on here believed it to extend. Living proof, and I love it! Thank you very much for the information. You've made my week.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13004 on: May 18, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »

Found it! And hopefully this photobucket thing will work.

All the best, Jack, and if you can recall anything else that might be of interest, please don't hesitate. The inclsuions on the thread of memories which serve to illustrate the history or give clues about particular pockets of land etc. are always great to obtain.   :hi: