Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2108585 times)

arch

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #13110 on: August 11, 2019, 01:45:35 AM »
I agree roadracer  its just that tommy always spelt TUTE .not TOOT  :D
Tommytwotoes, might have been one of his friends posted it, seen on his Facebook page some friends refer to him as toot. I lived in the next street up from him.

Roadracer

« Reply #13111 on: August 11, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
I have also heard some refer to him as TT Tommy.
A biker mate of mine from Seaview introduced me to him and Earl way back in about 1980.

brixmis

« Reply #13112 on: August 12, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
I miss Tute's posts.
They always raised a smile.
He hasn't posted on here for probably a couple of years now.
I hope he is well.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

welder

« Reply #13113 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:55 PM »
A Belfast couple have saved a Duncairn Church from demolition.

The church in Duncairn Gardens, which is to be taken over by the Abundant Grace Christian Assembly
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

welder

« Reply #13114 on: August 15, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »

I don't kmow if the abpve Churh is relevant to this thread.

brixmis

« Reply #13115 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »

I don't kmow if the abpve Churh is relevant to this thread.
It is Welder.
Just on the boundary!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

welder

« Reply #13116 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »

My late Father and his Parents lived in Arosa Parade BT15

Goldensnake

« Reply #13117 on: August 16, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
Hi Tommy I came across you on this forum yesterday. I am sure you will remember me. I used to work at Fortwilliam service station in the summer holidays and I used to go to Stanleys on the Cavehill Road. I remember you had a Sunbeam and I remember you also had a bike with a sidecar. Hope you read this regards Stephen.

Dargan

« Reply #13118 on: August 17, 2019, 11:46:00 PM »
Greetings to you from a place about 15 miles southwest of Blackburn where the other day I was served in a shop by a young man who said, "where's the accent from?"
"Belfast, and you?"
"Belfast" he replied.
"Whereabouts?" I asked, eagerly.
"Antrim Road," he said.
I lunged forward, "SHORE ROAD," I said proudly with a lump in my throat.
"We'll have to have a yarn," he said with frightened eyes.
"Right," I said. And if he's ANYTHING to do with people who tore down our buildings then he ought to have a care!

This was written by a Blackburn lad, it has the strange vibe of the West Pennines about it, but it could have been about the Shore Road! Vivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve! Goodnight.  :hi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTFklZs8lo

Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

Dargan

« Reply #13119 on: August 23, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Hallo, it's your friendly (unofficial) D.J. here tonight to see what songs capture that riotous, spirited, unique Shore Road. Long live the Shore Road and cults which actually matter! Have a great weekend! Come and get your sanctuary now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

welder

« Reply #13120 on: August 26, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

My late Father was born in Osborne Street (as was) 15/10/1918 to
Samuel Irvine and Sarah McLarnon. That's  wasn't far from Shore Road ?

Dargan

« Reply #13121 on: August 31, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
Your friendly D.J. looking in again!

Well, September and the glorious Autumn is on its way and those of you who live on the road will get to see the enchanting spread of colour across the Cavehill, the russet and gold mantle of the trees and the darkening of the skies in the afternoon. Maybe some thoughts will run to the primeval realities when the area was a wooded haven; realities which later on expressed themselves in that characteristic Shore Road way in an unbroken continuum through the ages. If it be the slaying of a baying wolf or the burning out of a car, it all adds up to about the same thing.

Anyway, earliest memories of the place would include this song. Mott The Hoople might've been going to a rockabilly party, but there was never any of this on the Shore Road except for our old pal "Shakin' Aiken" who I must say had the courgae of his convictions running about as one on his own like a relic from the fifties when the rest of us were looking to Johnny Rotten and Davd Bowie to model ourselves on. I love the way he lifts the lady up to the mic to mime her bit. The whole thing smacks of an earlier era in a perfect sort of way. What beautiful harmonies in this song too. Have a nice weekend. Take it away, Mott.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyJHh451Y4

Dargan

« Reply #13122 on: August 31, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
Re. that Mott The Hoople video: strange, zombified audience as indeed pointed out by some watchers, but also a turn up for the books: Mrs Thatcher appearing at 2 minutes 24.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13123 on: September 05, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
 Hallo you weekend pop pickers, your friendly, unofficial Shore road D.J. here wishing you, in advance, a great weekend!

This week we're going to pay tribute to the beautiful, tragic Billy Mackenzie full of "party fears" in this track, smashing cups and worrying if he's said the wrong thing and who's eyeing him up to knock his melt in. I don't think Billy need have worried unless it was a Shore Road party.

A couple of years ago I was doing a job in Blackburn with 2 work-mates. As we drove over the lonely hills on a ribbon-like road, the September mists rolling down the slopes to engulf the car, this came on the radio and my pals wanted it turned down for they thought Billy was a bit of a screecher, not realizing that his ability to manipulate his voice and vocal range was remarkable. However, there was definitely something surreal about the moment as the combination of those lonely, treacherous roads with Billy's voice seemed odd.

Nevertheless I said,  "give it a chance!" and after a few choice words of initial opposition that's what they did and grew silent as they listened to Billy right to the end. One of them, a 76 year-old man from Rochdale, said, "that was fantastic!" The other one didn't get it, but he was a dead loss anyway. During the job he wouldn't do a hand's turn and made a nuisance of himself with the Asian Rag supplier we needed to keep on the good side of.

The first party I ever went to on the Shore Road saw me misfire with the mascara and make a huge black line on a shirt whose collar could have poked your eyes out, but I put a scarf on and hoped nobody would be any the wiser. Then, on went my 2 quid bomb-damaged shoes and I walked round to the next street.

Well, as far as I could see there was nobody at all with party fears except maybe the parents. They hadn't been sure whether they could trust their son to be in charge of the house while they went away for the weekend so it was touch-and-go all week as they weighed the whole thing up. Would he have a party and wreck the place? One minute we were told the party was on, next it was off according to the parents' changing mindset.

But on the Saturday poor judgment prevailed and they decided to take a chance. As soon as the fella got shot of them someone was phoned up and word flew up and down the road like wildfire. It wasn't a bad turnout for such short notice. About 150 youths and one or two dirty old men who always appeared at this type of thing. They pretended that being away at sea for years had confused them as to what age they actually were as if sailing in and out of time zones all the time caused it.  If it wasn't this excuse it was something equally as lame, but back then as mere kids we never challenged adults because you'd get a clip round the ear if you did. Silly old goats in medallions had to be tolerated up to a point.

Anyway, a semi-detached house in Sheringhurst Park was the venue, and speaking of party fears one particular fella (maybe under the influence of Coke and Asprins) became so fearless that he flew down the stairs full tilt and straight out the glass front door which was closed at the time. I don't know for sure what made him do it. One of the dirty old men could have suggested something that death by a thousand cuts was preferable to (on the other hand maybe he was scared out of his wits).

In the aftermath, I don't know how the fella explained it to his parents when they came back and noticed a sheet of plywood nailed to the door. One or two of his more practical pals had the decency to stay behind at the end and between them all they'd made a repair. Something tells me he explained it all away by blaming it on the paramilitaries, lol. Over to you Billy, let them have it!  :hi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2AYxrPqkk

Dargan

« Reply #13124 on: September 05, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
After thought: Lest it be viewed as contentious, the Asian Rag man is a fella who sells great big job lots of rags normally used in industry.  :hi: