Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2108504 times)

tommytwotoes

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #13125 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
looks like the end all our pics are gone no more tiny pics for uploading and photobucket
want us to pay them
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

welder

« Reply #13126 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »

The way around that is to type photo of such and such

street, and it displays a choice of them  :)
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

Dargan

« Reply #13127 on: September 14, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
We may have no more images but we've got the images in our mind, and Steely Dan in this single line says it all for what was once a great thread:

"Sharing the things we know and love
with those of my kind
libations
sensations
that stagger the mind."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhQ5Dg6gdEw

Onward! there HAS to be a way!
Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

Dargan

« Reply #13128 on: September 20, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
The other night I was watching Last of the Summer Wine and Nora Batty remarked upon woollen underwear and how it was a sure-fire way of keeping men under control. Immediately I was transported back to 50 years ago, and saw my Grandfather's cream-coloured, woollen long-johns on the line at 189 Shore Road, in the biggish square yard with the door at the back leading out to York Park entry. He must have been red-raw scratching himself. However, I can still hear the heavy sound of the bolt on the door that sealed them off from the entry, and the sounds of the trains as they went along when a lull in the traffic meant you could hear them. That particular sound is very melancholy, but appealing too. It wasn't much of a memory, the long-johns, but I'm glad these days to recover anything at all from so long ago on that road. Everything recovered seems tinged with interest, no matter how mundane on the face of it.

But then something a bit more interesting returned to me and I started to wonder if I was right about a certain thing. Instead of referring to a piece of cloth you wash your face with as a flannel, he always called it- and I'll have to spell it as he said it- a Flannin. He was born in 1899 one year before the strange case of the missing lighthouse men on the remote Hebridean Islands called, "The Flannan islands." Anyone who enjoys a mystery who is not familar with this case I would urge you to read it, and Keith McCloskey wrote a great book about it. A very haunting incident it was.

Well,  I wondered if this case was spoken about so much in his early days that the word "Flannan" went deep into his psyche causing him to get the word "flannel" wrong; or was it just a Shore Road peculiarity? Did others of his generation talk about flannins rather than flannels? A quirk of language which orignated there? I don't know, but the case of the three men who vanished simultaneously from that strange place is certainly something which would have dominated the time: December 1900. That lighthouse had just been built and was state-of-the-art of the day. But it was doomed from the start, it seems.

Posting on threads is all a lot of flannel, but sure what of it? :hi:
Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

Dargan

« Reply #13129 on: September 20, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
Good evening folks, keep the joys of life in mind as we all get older and grayer, it's your friendly (unofficial) Shore Road D.J. again bringing you the sounds of the past. Remember those nights by the electirc fire with the spinning metal disc simulating flames behind a pile of plastic coal? All our houses in the shadow of Cavehill as the moon rose and kids were out looking at the Seven Sisters in a distant galaxy for the pure wonder of it? Remember those kind of nights of pure, unadulterated joy? Here's a man who knew a thing or two about joy. Boy could he express himself and his deepest feelings. Creative genius in action. Have a great weekend all and remember the old addage that you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMfjA4gyEcU

Dargan

« Reply #13130 on: September 28, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
Courtesy of the existence of this thread, it's been a pleasure over the years to deposit my own photo's, and those which people have given me, and to see the images left by other people from their collections and as a result of searching the highways and by-ways with such dedication for the good of this thread. Quite a record of how things were, and are. Wisdom tells us to have our own collections separate from the thread to save everything of interest- and as Tommy has reported lately the squeeze is on from the image hosters. Probably there are other hosters, but it's always only a matter of time in these things as sooner or later generosity is withdrawn and money required. 'Twas ever thus, folks, but we shouldn't worry about these things and have a creative approach to the continuation of the thread. 
Plus my own, I've saved the images donated all over my computer, and in spare time mean to get them all into one folder. So far I've managed it partially, but what arrests the flow of doing this is the fact that I keep getting drawn back into the images themselves when I set out to do this. I end up looking at some or other aspect of the Shore Road or the glimpses of life shown. It's a truly unique road is the Shore Road, and as the wayside runs along towards Carrickfergus and into more country places I can't help feeling that it was indeed a liminal place which only the people who came from it rose to the atmosphere of.

Now and again I used to get a lift home from work in East Belfast by a truly nice gentleman by the name of Jim Coleman who lived Carnmoney way. Usually I was left at the roundabout at the M2, but once he left me at the bottom of Lowwood and said to me as I was alighting from the car, "The Shore Road is a very dowdy sort of place. It always was." He didn't mean any insult for he wasn't that type. I think it was a spontaneous reaction to something.  It is surprising what other people's concept of the place could be. They couldn't sense that certain thrill which was maybe born out of living under the shadow of the Cavehill and surrounding hills of the Antrim Plateau. But for my money, that special atmosphere was more to do with something from way back in the mists of time which hung around the place with a presence which can only be guessed as to the nature of. Some event. Maybe some way of life long gone.

Sometimes it was very much at large. I remember walking around the paths on those sandy cliffs at Waveney about 28 years ago, and a small tree just snapped on a light breeze and fell on the path before me. Someone known to a lot of us here was walking in the opposite direction and saw it too. I remember we looked at one another in wonderment. But neither said a single word. It seemed to signify something intangible about the place. This is only the merest example.

The other evening I was looking at some of my own photo's from 1990/1991 and noticing things I hadn't seen before such as the man on the roof of the old Aerocrete building (I don't think he was stealing the lead). If you have saved all of them it's the one looking towards Ringan Point from the Aerocrete side of the road taken on a bright January day in 1991. There are no roof-tiles on the Aerocrete building and way above the level of the road some man is toiling away at something, and lo and behold but when I looked closer there appeared to be a ufo hovering just above him! I keep meaning to find the original photo to see if it's merely a scratch on the picture. It probably is as I've hawked those photo's all round the place and some have got damaged. However, the point is that there's lots more on all of the pictures upon closer scrutiny. And when I look closely at my own sometimes I remember exactly how it felt back then. That gives me such a great feeling. I love being back in the moment.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to keep the thread alive with observations about individual images as things are always getting tighter what with the lack of opportunity to present photo's and the fact that few share any memories. The photo's in question can be described adequately, and anyone who has saved them can refer to them from their own personal collections. One that Tommy provided of McCloy's is a good example of one pouring forth a ton of unspoken information.

And now, having said that, a most beautiful tune to commemorate the day, and year, a big cat escaped from the circus and roamed around the road. Was it seen in Fortwilliam Crescent? Who managed to throw a net over it in the end? I can't remember now, but this tune certainly has the power to draw anyone with any feel for it all back into time any time on the road of their choosing to enjoy the aspects of the past.  :hi:

Have a good weekend folks, and don't lose your thread. Think outside the box to deliver continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybGztyFwHk

barry.lewis

« Reply #13131 on: October 08, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
Am I bothered
It's all gone very quick

barry.lewis

« Reply #13132 on: October 08, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »
It's all gone very quick

brixmis

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

brixmis

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

arch

« Reply #13135 on: October 10, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »