Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2208293 times)

Jack The Kipper

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #13275 on: August 09, 2020, 07:27:57 AM »
It's great to get back into thinking about the area, Tommy. On a night like this in August, after sunset I remember how dark blue and foreboding the Cavehill was, and the strange, rising wind cued by something in nature that used to level out our camp fire to a vertical sheet of orange which followed us four points of the compass and made it roar like a furnace. Uncanny. All the snowberries were out in the Sandies and glowed in the light of the fire; also swaying on the wind, Angelica and Hedge Mustards, Shepherd's Purse and the "weeds of cultivation" such as Heartsease which lived under the Rhubarb, these companion plants encouraged by all the vegetable gardens and fruit borders. Jim Beattie's black dog would come out for a display of barking then skulk off again and really it was all leading up to - and setting the scene well- to going in to watch Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing fight it out in Transylvania, or Vincent Price with his masque of the Red Death in the murky gloom of the Middle Ages (what a voice that man had). Atmopsheric times. And tonight, apart from my memories, little remains except if I go outside and look up and see the Plough and the odd shooting star. What a privilege to have grown up on the Shore Road. Regards, H.

Great post Dargan, I'am not from the Shore Rd but I love reading your posts.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Dargan

« Reply #13276 on: August 09, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »
Thanks, Jack. The place is in my blood, heart and soul, and during the trials of life it's encouraging and uplifting to do a bit of what Gurdjieff called "self remembering." How easy it is to be swamped by the negativity of the daily grind, but when you cast the mind back to moments like this somehow all irritations seem minor and paltry, the menacing faces of life mere cartoons on the reel of existence. Good luck man, and wherever you're from I hope sincerely that you can draw on the same type of thing to uplift you, and to self-remember. Regards.  :hi:
And so it goes: "yours sincerely, Holden McGroyne."

Canadianraptor

« Reply #13277 on: August 29, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
Hi Helen,
Glad to see a lot of you online again, I thought this part of the forum was done, I have some new stuff, however I believe The old photo software is gone but I think there is a new picture program, can you or anyone else explain to me how it works please!
Robert
"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

Dargan

« Reply #13278 on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:32 PM »
To anyone on the Shore Road tonight, and beyond, who can catch the joy of this and revel in the memory of better days. We're on the brink of hell again folks, enjoy it all while you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPBDMihPRJA

Dargan

« Reply #13279 on: September 29, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
David, I'm thanking you here on the thread to alert people to the fact that you've pointed out to me that a new rash of building is in the planning stages for the historic Ringan Point. If anyone is interested pm me for the details David has kindly sent on.

Lately I have been fighting another crass planning application elsewhere on behalf of a group of elderly people having a home for unruly children foisted upon them in the middle of a street of bungalows. It's a useless endeavour, really it is, but you have to have a go. These things are too often a foregone conclusion because of "forgone" arrangements and/or biases which  are simply too complex to have any coherent dialogue with the planners, applicants and civil servants involved. In other words, you ask a simple question, or point out something relevant, and they opt for the white-washing phrase "vexatious communications" and will not have any further truck with you, no matter how relevant your queries and concerns. Yes, we are up against a machine with its own non-standard cogs and circuit boards. Reasoning and reasonable questions are not permitted and I don't know but sometimes it makes me think that half of them or more have never done a hand's tap of proper work in their lives.

However, it might be a good idea if someone out there observes the excavation process to see if there are any artefacts lying in the spoil heaps when the diggers arrive. A clay pipe bowl from the early 1700s might do. You never know. It could be a great chance to kick up about it all. You can always nip under a fence with a torch at night or get to know some of the men digging by arriving with sandwiches. Some of these men can be very sympathetic to greater causes than half a dozen box-like dwellings with 4 toilets to every floor. If my uncle from Mineral Street was still alive he'd love this 4 toilets to every floor carry on. His eyes would have spun in his head because he was obsessed with how toilets flushed due to frustrations with his own (which was more than hale and hearty compared to what passes today for a toilet flush). No sooner was he invited in anywhere he was asking the house-owner if he could inspect their flush. Sometimes he was never invited back to places. Open-minded households entertained his notions and made sure they passed on information about other flushes they'd inquired about when they saw him later on in the street.  His enthusiasm was catching. When he saw one of those which operates as per a suction system it blew his mind altogether. He went on and on for months about it. You don't see them so much nowadays.
Anyway regards to all, and thanks David. Maybe some rich millionaire out there with a soft spot for Ringan Point and its intriguing history will do something. The rest of us are pretty powerless, sadly. Money is the universal language, never mind esperanto.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13280 on: October 02, 2020, 12:03:18 AM »
Tommy, are you around? I've been meaning to ask you for a while if you ever managed to find a picture of the Shore Road before the Troxy was built, showing that particular site as a piece of farmland? My Aunt remembered it as a field with cows grazing, bells around their necks. She came to live opposite around 1934 as a girl of 8 or 9. It's now a whole other era when the cinema was going, so further back than that seems an impossible age ago. I always remember people -older people- telling me in the 1970s that the Shore Road thronged with people at night in the 1950s and early 60s, but by the time I was conscious of things it was definitely on the wane as darker times loomed.

Have you been in touch with the artist guy who found the bones on Ringan Point? I think you said you'd gone to see him when Lockdown ended. Did he have any more information on Ringan Point? I wouldn't mind betting that this rook of houses about to be slung up will maybe cause a few sets of eyes to widen with what's under the sward. I'd love to be there with my trowel but no doubt they'd shift me as quick as look at me. It wasn't so when Loughview Terrace and Fortview Villas were being demolished. They allowed me to run rampant all over the place and even invited me to other demolitions! Back in the good old days of no health and safety!

Well, I'll leave you with these couple of queries hoping you're well and ready to get into it all again. We may as well Tommy what with C.V. breathing down our necks and Bojo making a bog of everything. May as well think of the past and all the things that made the road unique.

Regards,

Helen

Doon

« Reply #13281 on: October 04, 2020, 05:18:24 PM »
New to forum.  Although not from shore road I spent many a Saturday afternoon around Seaview Street visiting my Granny King,  I lived in Glengormley and we ued to get the number 10 bus to shore road then walk up or if we missed it an Antrim Road bus, get off about Milk Marketing Board and walk down  Skegoneil Ave, across Jellicoe Ave at top of Grove playing fields down to North Queens Street and across to Seaview Street.
Listening to granny talk about her week I didn't realise how those names she spoke of would come back nd play a part in my life again as I trace family history.
Sad to see top half of Seaview street gone.
I see some names here @Canadianraptor & @Old 3 wheeler who cross my family tree.  Just found their parents grave in Carnmoney and whould love to hear from them.
PM me.

Doon

« Reply #13282 on: October 04, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
Edit post to Canadian Raptor and old 3 wheeler - Grandparents grave.
Apologies

Dargan

« Reply #13283 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
Hallo all,

I'm hoping that someone will pick up on this better able to do the job than me. The thing is, it's about time someone did a tribute to the Motherwell F.C. hero Colin O'Neill. He, of course, grew up on the Shore Road, and in fact his family home was 4 doors down from me and I grew up with Colin as we were close in age. I always liked Colin and such personal anecdotes come to mind as to how great he was with a football as a kid, able to do amazing things with a ball and possessing acrobatic skills and a robust energy. When we were youths he was very entertaining and I still recall with a big smile how he used to cut his mother and father's front lawn blasting the album No More Heroes by the Stranglers out into the street. I know that Colin certainly IS a hero for the Motherwell Football Club and could anyone expound further on all this as it's a crying shame we've not honoured him previously? Otherwise I'll come on and do my best. If it's been done before, apologies for a poor memory and that inability to flick back at posts due to a propensity to vertigo. As an aside, apparently if you get the car sickness thing I get you're supposed to do 3 crosswords before a car journey. Well done acadaemia. Numb as pFiss-stones comes to mind. (Omit the "F).

Regards to all.  :hi:

Doon

« Reply #13284 on: October 06, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
here is a pic of my mother ellen king aged about ten with her father my grandfather joseph king , and her aunt laura millar , the pic was taken in mineral st of york rdMom, Grandpa, Laura: Mom (B. 1923) aged about 8-10 with Grandpa Joe King and Laura Millar (Grandma Mary's sister). laura married Tommy McDowell in 1936 - Snowden Web Site in 1932/33, my grandad passed away in 1957 with cancer and my mom died in 1968 qged qbout 45, regards ken

Joseph is my great uncle!!!! :o

Dargan

« Reply #13285 on: October 16, 2020, 04:07:16 AM »
Good Morning folks, and a very good one to you all. I see we've no takers for a bit of a tribute to Colin. Lack of knowledge of football would hamper me but I'll give it a try in the coming weeks after assembling the facts of his career. Largely, though, I suspect it's a matter of conveying an intense sort of energy and application, to form most of the tribute. The guy was certainly imbued with what might be described as a firm resistance against a ball doing anything he didn't want it do. I really liked Colin, and all the family. His father once gave me a job washing glasses in a band hall nearby where I was able to witness people enjoying themselves to outrageously generous levels after weddings. Sadly my career as a glass-washer ended when I was packed off to Shorts to illustrated parts' catalogues and correcting the work of people who believed that units were "kermetically sealed" rather than hermetically. (As the latter word has a loose connection to religion, I prefer kermetically, but rules is rules).

So we're round again to that time of year when the spread of glorious Autumn appears in colourful swathes across the Cavehill, the play of light and shadow making the great landmark a more conspicuous living entity with its own codified messages and symbols of eternal realities for us all, should we care to study its timeless wonder instead of mouldy books about Middle Eastern dynasties and the paranormal and preternatural aspects of their stupid lives. I've asked my sister to send a few images of the castle grounds. She's done it. The poshness strikes me. It's very formal and presentable nowadays and no doubt a credit to the persons whose upkeep is their livelihood. I remember it a bit frayed round the edges. A place of elegant but faded splendour. It also strikes me now that the people who used to drive in of an evening for the purpose of revealing too much flesh to school-girls drinking cider in the Rhododendron bushes now have limited scope. How times change (?). However it didn't put us off our gravy chips.

On another note: anyone out there who can put images on and show the progress of the new houses in the course of erection at Ringan Point, please do. And to anyone passing by with the inclination to enlarge upon our knowledge of what's under the sward and thereby inside the historical realms, take a look at the excavation to see what might tantalise our souls and shock our minds.

Good luck to all. It's certainly a stranger world now than ever before.  :hi:

henrycluney

« Reply #13286 on: November 09, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
Moved to Shore Road in 72....mon the Crues!!
Mon Norn Iron!!

henrycluney

« Reply #13287 on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »
Two people I remember but not much info about...Caesar who lived across from the bottom of Fortwilliam and Sammy who was always going to school,had mental problems but a nice fella.
Mon Norn Iron!!

Dargan

« Reply #13288 on: November 09, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
Well folks we've a genuine VIP on board now. The man who posted above is Shore Road royalty, and no mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo7z50Tt2g

henrycluney

« Reply #13289 on: November 09, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »
Well folks we've a genuine VIP on board now. The man who posted above is Shore Road royalty, and no mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo7z50Tt2g

Aye,Im speshul me!
Mon Norn Iron!!