Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2208449 times)

Dargan

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #13290 on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
Assolutly.
And so it goes: "yours sincerely, Holden McGroyne."

henrycluney

« Reply #13291 on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »
Hee hee thanks :) Now how to live up to it?!
Mon Norn Iron!!

Dargan

« Reply #13292 on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »
Am I really bandying words with THE Henry? Right now it would do my heart no end of good if I could only know for sure for I've been coughing three days and it's as if someone is pulling a rope tight round my middle, their foot in the small of my back. Is it just a scoundrel imposter on to wind us up? Someone out for larks because they're sick of the risk of getting a dose of covid up the stove pipe ? God, but the feelgood factor's coming back into the thread folks! It'll fair inspire me to be on again talking a right lot of guano. Good old Henry if it is you! But how can we really tell if it's truly Henry, here in a place like this where no credentials can be flashed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbhENRnZXsQ

henrycluney

« Reply #13293 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:19 PM »
Am I really bandying words with THE Henry? Right now it would do my heart no end of good if I could only know for sure for I've been coughing three days and it's as if someone is pulling a rope tight round my middle, their foot in the small of my back. Is it just a scoundrel imposter on to wind us up? Someone out for larks because they're sick of the risk of getting a dose of covid up the stove pipe ? God, but the feelgood factor's coming back into the thread folks! It'll fair inspire me to be on again talking a right lot of guano. Good old Henry if it is you! But how can we really tell if it's truly Henry, here in a place like this where no credentials can be flashed?

Itís me alright...no point in pretending to be me lol.Living in America since 97 but been home here since March.No gigs is a killer I must say.Hope youíre feeling better soon Dargan...sounds yuk!
Mon Norn Iron!!

arch

« Reply #13294 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:18 AM »

Ask Henry who lived at the top of the entry behind his house, if he answers correctly it is him..

henrycluney

« Reply #13295 on: November 13, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
Ask Henry who lived at the top of the entry behind his house, if he answers correctly it is him..
Ivan and Davy opposite the end,Logans on the other side lol
Mon Norn Iron!!

Lost Login

« Reply #13296 on: November 13, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
Old home movie footage of the Shore Road in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqMG8ncnWOo
Not available in Northern Ireland.

seajay

« Reply #13297 on: November 14, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »
Marvellous footage and lovely memories. I was 11 then. Lived in Alex Pk  Ave. And later Fort William Crescent. Ended up living in France for some time. But like a lot of folk, came back to NI.

SamsYerMan

« Reply #13298 on: November 20, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
Just joined the forum peeps and amazed at the history etc,.  Dargan if I'm right you once lived in 189 Shore Road ?  I lived in 187 for a short time with my in laws in the early 1980s.

Number26

« Reply #13299 on: November 20, 2020, 11:31:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum samsyourman

Dargan

« Reply #13300 on: November 21, 2020, 08:37:47 AM »
Just joined the forum peeps and amazed at the history etc,.  Dargan if I'm right you once lived in 189 Shore Road ?  I lived in 187 for a short time with my in laws in the early 1980s.
Hallo Sam, if you knew how DELIGHTED I'd be to hear your memories of 187 Shore Road you probably wouldn't credit it, but please, please come on and tell all. No, I didn't live at 189. My Grandparents Nell and Hugh Quinn lived there, arriving fresh in from Ritchie street when 189 and the others were built in the early 1930s. They were there until their deaths in 1977, and only one other set of owners had it after that before Wellworth's flattened it, the Whiteside's and Charlie Patterson's to make 3 or 4 extra bays in their car-park ([censored]). "Cars before Shore Road homes" is a less well-known agenda, but it began when Loughview Villas and Fortview Terrace were trailed off the face of the front of the road, and the Wellworthers, not satisfied at taking the character away there even coveted the three tiny houses, 189, 191 and 193 on the corner of York Park. And all so as they could draw more lines on their tarmac carpark. Scandalous. Greedy baxters.

I think avidly about that wee house all the time and my times in it, and recovering any memory of it gives me joy. It's funny how you can catch glimpses of moments of the past so clearly and with the "feel" of the times so pronounced it's like these events are still happening. It's almost mystical. I can still see my Grandfather even yet leaning over the front gate smoking and watching the world go by as people bustled or idled along on that unique road. I can see us leaving on a dark Saturday night at this time of the year, spooked after watching Doctor Who and feeling the wind whip up round us at Fortwilliam/Ringan Point, the dim light of McCloy's shop an unlikely beacon on the other side of the road.
 Sorry to be so full-on this time of the morning but hearing from people like you is pure delight. Please tell us what you remember. ANY memory no matter how small brings it all alive. The continuation of this thread is a must, and people with personal recollections and those little anecdotes which re-capture past times, well, if they're prepared to provide their own glimpses of the past it's an act of participation, kindness and generosity if you ask me. Particularly now that images are all but impossible to share. All the best, and please come on with your thoughts and memories. Regards. :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13301 on: November 21, 2020, 08:46:10 AM »
Ivan and Davy opposite the end,Logans on the other side lol
Well done Henry, if Arch reckons it's you then it has to be. What do we say to a rockstar? I say hallo you're as welcome as the butcher the baker, the Tip-head Hoker. Tell us where you practised with the band, and if in any wee hall round the road, being a fan of the most humble architecture I for one would like to hear about every alcove and what the acoustics did for your songs, etc.  :hi:

Dargan

« Reply #13302 on: November 21, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
Thanks to everyone for this new burst of posts. Please put memories and anecdotes on. If anyone out there reckons they can handle Colin O'Neill's footballing career please get in touch as I can't ably comment on a game I know not the eff all square root of. Please help. I'll be on in December with a few memories and calamities of Xmas past which I'm sorting out in my head right now. I'll just say this, trite though it may be and smacking of repetition: what a great road the Shore Road was- and is still to those who are still there. Only those of us who grew up there know of the unique feel I am speaking of. Write it down folks. Publish it. Get it out there to people interested. Or put it here where people can be reminded, entertained, charmed and perhaps restored to the memories of their own roads and homesteads.  :hi:

SamsYerMan

« Reply #13303 on: November 21, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
Forgive me but my memory is fading now until I happen across something that kicks it into gear lol.  I only spent a short time at 187 but I do remember probably number 191 I think were friends of my in laws and if I remember right they were deaf or hard of hearing and when you pushed the doorbell all the lights in the house would turn on and off.  That's about all I have from there lol.  I was conceived in Canada and mum came home while 6 months pregnant to have me in her dads house in Nelson Street, York St.  After my dad finished his contract mining in Canada he too came home and we moved to the prefabs facing mount vernon.  When I was probably about 2 or 3 years old we moved up into mount vernon gardens and lived there for about 10 years.  I went to lowwood and then dunlambert and we ended up living down in york road. I'm always amazed by the old stories of Alec's bank etc and as an early teen we used to go over the tip head collecting for the boney every year lol.  I remember the M2 motorway being built and we used to go over and play on the diggers and dumper trucks at night time lol. I remember the water trough at the fortwilliam gates and the trolley busses, we used to jump on them and hide from the conductor to see how far we could get into town before being thrown off haha. am loving reading all the wee stories and specially about that ringin point, would love to know exactly where it was.

Dargan

« Reply #13304 on: November 22, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »
Forgive me but my memory is fading now until I happen across something that kicks it into gear lol.  I only spent a short time at 187 but I do remember probably number 191 I think were friends of my in laws and if I remember right they were deaf or hard of hearing and when you pushed the doorbell all the lights in the house would turn on and off.  That's about all I have from there lol.  I was conceived in Canada and mum came home while 6 months pregnant to have me in her dads house in Nelson Street, York St.  After my dad finished his contract mining in Canada he too came home and we moved to the prefabs facing mount vernon.  When I was probably about 2 or 3 years old we moved up into mount vernon gardens and lived there for about 10 years.  I went to lowwood and then dunlambert and we ended up living down in york road. I'm always amazed by the old stories of Alec's bank etc and as an early teen we used to go over the tip head collecting for the boney every year lol.  I remember the M2 motorway being built and we used to go over and play on the diggers and dumper trucks at night time lol. I remember the water trough at the fortwilliam gates and the trolley busses, we used to jump on them and hide from the conductor to see how far we could get into town before being thrown off haha. am loving reading all the wee stories and specially about that ringin point, would love to know exactly where it was.

Sam, your memory isn't fading at all. I love your post, it's so vibrant. Hang onto your hat, I'll come on and do a more detailed answer later on in the week and let's hope in the meantime a few other things will come back to you for your own delectation. I meet people with no memory of their younger years and I feel sorry for them, for I do believe there's something more to all this "looking-back" than meets the eye. It's without a doubt good for people at the very least, provided their recollections are pleasant. And when those memories are set down on a forum or elsewhere, it helps to honour the areas.

I'll leave you with this for the present: you mention Nelson Street. There will definitely be other references to it on this forum if you use the search facility, and there'll maybe even be pictures on other threads which have lasted -- unlike ours here which went down the pan when photobucket decided it wasn't playing any more, and could we pay it a small fortune for the privilege of hosting?

However, When I was a kid I used to hate bus travel because of the ear-drum splitting noise of engines, plus I always felt sick. Aul lads smoked like troopers upstairs and whatever the general design of those buses it drifted down the spiral staircases in these blue fogs and choked the downstairs' passengers (it must've been something to do with windows being open on the upper decks). But anyway, if the windows weren't grimy downstairs the consolation for this torture was being able to look out at all the old dockland streets as they flitted by. They had great character and atmospehere, and if you'd to make a clean patch on the window with a hankie to catch a glimpse, particularly at this time of year at dusk, those old places passed by like a moving picture scene which was intensely compelling. (Just about everything made me think of Charlie Chaplin and Edna Purviance. It's as if they could have come round ANY of the street corners).

I remember Nelson Street, seeing it on such a dark afternoon. It seems odd to look back now and know that I was witnessing the end of Georgian and Victorian dockland streets in North Belfast, for it hardly seems possible to be able to say that in this modern era, those times now vansihed, and a lot of evidence for their very existence ruthlessly swept away. Regards.  :hi: