Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2254708 times)

allymac

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #13410 on: April 07, 2021, 10:52:21 PM »
If you dig up coins and such that could possibly be valuable,do you need to report it to the authorities?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Dargan

« Reply #13411 on: April 08, 2021, 12:19:09 AM »
Good evening/morning folks.
Anyone who might know what happened to the Bridgeport Vertical Borer (Adcock and Shipley?) which purportedly came out of Tildarg Engineering: if you can tell me if this was an early export to India I would be grateful for the information. Interest in the machine shops of the road of bygone times and the utimate destiny of machine tools is gathering momentum amongst some "old hands." And one Mr. Sticky S. (who will have been known to some) was the person who told me about the Bridgeport/A&S at Tildarg. It took me years to figure out where he meant, and only by dint of this thread did I get to know. I have images - ones I took myself- of many oldies seen in various factories either facing extinction or replacements in the form of CNCs. About 99 % headed to India and some of us are wondering if exports to that country from all over the UK were as early as the 1950s.

Regards.
 :hi:
Divot.

roycraw.

« Reply #13412 on: April 08, 2021, 09:08:48 AM »
Does anyone remember the wee man who used to knock about the Shore Road who reckoned to be abducted by aliens living in "the first cave" who advised him to use Epsom Salts for his gout?

Remember?  I was only thinking about him the other day. You know how it is: you get prompted by one thing or another, and it led me to remembering that he wanted to take over the Tel-Star and call it "The Craven Heifer." Now I wonder what prompted that memory.

This wee man was a rare tonic. He was Barney someone or other. If only we had him these days of bland people out to set the world on fire with a box of wet matches and a pile of McDonald's boxes.
 :hi:   hi there dargan,  plea for help here,   do you have any info on the old rusting out barge that lay on greencastle beach from god knows when,   it was a magic playground for us wee boys in the 40s (when the tide was out)   have tried many ways to find out anything about it to no avail .   HELP,     cheers,   roy   c. 

Dargan

« Reply #13413 on: April 08, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
Hallo Roy, I'll be glad to help if I can. Years ago I was given a photo of my own family in the early 1930s by some coastal wreckage and it went on the thread as I believed at the time it was something on our North shore of the lough. But I found out later it was probably some other part of the lough and more than likely the County Down side - though it never really was confirmed to me one way or the other. So it could be the one you mean. As the images are now gone it's a bit of a shame.

However to get back to your query: I'll make a few inquiries for you. If there are any further details you can tell me about it, do so on the thread as any snippets might help. In the meantime, the old sea-dog Robroy who posted in the earlier times of the thread may have mentioned the very thing you are talking about. If you do a search on his posts you might be able to find out something about this (this fella has since passed on). I'll have a weigh up for you and see if I can come up with anything. If you want a copy of that image I can send it to you on email, and so my PM box will be opened again in case I hear from you.
Divot.

locomotive

« Reply #13414 on: April 08, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »
Although I was born in Greencastle we moved to England in 1945, but I returned for my summer holidays untilll 1959. I remember it well, in the mid 40s my Grandad used to lift me up onto the deck and you could go into the aft Cabin (probably too posh a name for it really)as the years went by and I grew, I could step onto the deck, gradually moving through the 50s it sank lower and lower eventually disappearing, that's it , I've always looked for information but with no success, probably with only seeing it once a year it became a part of my childhood that I've never forgot.

Dargan

« Reply #13415 on: April 08, 2021, 11:23:57 PM »
That is a very enchanting memory, locomotive, and no doubt it has been a strength to you as one of those magical times to draw on from earlier life. I've still a few contacts in that part of the road and we'll see if we can drum up one or two other memories at the very least. I don't hold out a lot of hope but I'll ask the question in certain quarters. A few kindred spirits for you and Roycraw may still be out there, and who knows but an image could yet surface.

The problem we have always faced when trying to obtain images and information about the Shore Road and environs is one of complete negation. It's always been a maligned/disregarded area for a reason I've never got to the bottom of. It's as if they don't want the place to exist. Believe me I've faced this for decades now when trying to find out stuff or draw attention to things which ought to be looked into, and I'm not the only one. Historical landmarks wiped away at the drop of a hat, no importance placed on the right cultural heritage. It's a pattern of almost mysterious proportions, and so unfair to boot when other areas are fawned over and treated like principalities.  It's a wonder Fortwilliam Arches have lasted on the Shore Road side of the equation, and in fact it's at the back of my mind that at one time there was talk of them going! Some "facet" in the background not entirely related to doing the right thing must have come into play, and so they got to remain.

Anyway, I hope that we can turn up some stuff about this, or that someone else will appear on the thread with a lead.

Good luck.
Divot.

barry.lewis

« Reply #13416 on: April 09, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
If you dig up coins and such that could possibly be valuable,do you need to report it to the authorities?
I think you have 14 days to report the find , under Treasure Trove  , If you dont report i think you could get fined
But maybe someone on here might know
It's all gone very quick

allymac

« Reply #13417 on: April 09, 2021, 09:22:14 PM »
I think this thread is a closed shop. :-\
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Dargan

« Reply #13418 on: Yesterday at 03:00:07 PM »
Just to let Roycraw and locomotive know that we've made contact with someone else who remembers the wreckage at Greencastle and who is going to ask around to see if there are any images. If any turn up, we'll cross that bridge of getting the images to you in some way or other.  :hi:
Divot.

locomotive

« Reply #13419 on: Yesterday at 08:30:49 PM »
Cheers, much appreciated

roycraw.

« Reply #13420 on: Today at 08:55:17 AM »
Just to let Roycraw and locomotive know that we've made contact with someone else who remembers the wreckage at Greencastle and who is going to ask around to see if there are any images. If any turn up, we'll cross that bridge of getting the images to you in some way or other.  :hi:
        thanks for that Dargan,  great work indeed for i have tried every which way to find the story of that wee wreck always thinking;  'someone must know'   since last talking to you and following some of your tips i may have gotten somewhere.  i found a link between lagan river barges and Kelly's coal boats,   i thought i had it nailed until i turned up a photo of those barges loaded with coal being towed up the river to the gas works,  they were nothing like our greencastle barge,  ours was decked and had a big solid iron tiller and post.  it was not wide open but had 'holds' and down below in one hold were round tanks for liquid cargo.    we sailed that ship to the south sea islands,  to the cold waters in the north to to fight sea raiders, we were warriors,  (and sometimes robbers or pirates)    and then we went home to our mammies .       we were 8 or nine years old.   i am now 84.  why the hell do you ever have to grow up.   cheers and thanks again.       roy  c.

Dargan

« Reply #13421 on: Today at 10:37:28 PM »
Roy, I so much enjoyed reading your post. It did my heart good. I delighted in the detail you remembered and the feelings you conjured up again in yourself  when you looked into the matter further. I'm not keen on adult life either and long ago even reverted to reading children's books about kids messing around on islands and finding hidden caves etc.

But anyway, the offer's here of me emailing you that picture of my family members at the side of some coastal wreckage, so get in touch if you want to see it. The sight of this particular wreckage might even be something which gives you further inspiration as it could restore to your memory some aspect of the Greencastle wreckage that you can follow up. I wonder if there were ever any "incidents" at that wreckage which might have been newsworthy? Maybe some kid getting into difficulty or someone complaining that it was dangerous? For if so you might be able to look into newspaper archives (a subscription for a few months for all British newspapers going back into the 1800s can be bought cheaply enough). If such an article exists, there might be an image. I'm wondering if there was ever some wee local Whiteabbey newspaper? Sorry, I'm sure there is, but I can't remember what it might be called. Well, looking at the archives of this paper might turn something up. Or perhaps a letter sent in right now requesting an image of it and any memories its readership might have.

In the meantime I will prompt my brother-in-law to ask more people. He's already put the word ut, so keep your fingers crossed.

Locomotive, if you are reading this, it goes the same for you. P.M. me if you like and I can email you the image of the wreckage taken in the 1930s somehwere on Belfast Lough. I can date this picture precisely to the early thirties as my mother is about 3 years old in it.

Regards to the both of you.
Divot.