Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500677 times)

Dargan

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #4785 on: July 01, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

This may well be the Robert Getty of Skegoneill. And didn't his descendant Sammy have the shop at Northwood?
I don't know what they used "refined saltpetre" for, but I daresay you won't get it in Tesco's. There are a lot more references to shipping merchants in this collection I have, and we know that quite a few had their mansions on the Shore Road and surrounding locale. The cargoes are a very interesting read, in themselves. I wonder if French Barley is better than the pearl barley nowadays which I boil and boil and can't get to cook!
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #4786 on: July 01, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »

What a delicious cargo!
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #4787 on: July 01, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »

"Cambricks." To listen to a beautiful song, click the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOj_l1QMbE

Dargan

« Reply #4788 on: July 01, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
Finally, this morning, one of the auctions known to be held in our old Donegall Arms.
Regards,
 :hi:

Lewis Monty

« Reply #4789 on: July 01, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »

The one and only Sammy Lynn! A great Head Master. RIP
I was in his office a time or two and  not for coffee!
Monty
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4790 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
I was in his office a time or two and  not for coffee!

I think I was caned once by Sammy.

Jimmy

Jimmy55

« Reply #4791 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
Dargan

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy

Dargan

« Reply #4792 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
Cheers, Jim, I've a few more items to post from that publication.

Lawther of Mount Vernon is listed in the Lennon Wylie 1913 'phone directory as "Fortwilliam 103." The romance of imagining the 'phone ringing in Mount Vernon House on a beautiful summer day!

That particular page makes interesting reading, and the Fortwilliam locale comprises quite a catchment area with addresses on Parkmount Road and Antrim Road etc.

No doubt there'll be lots more information in there for anyone with time on their hands who wants to trawl through all the years. I wonder if Alexander Graham Bell had produced his invention when Ringsend House was thriving? I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know!

Regards,
H.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4793 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
Dargan,

keep posting them, I have a few more myself to post also.

Jimmy

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4794 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

Hi Helen,
Was Robert Getty not the owner of Seaview in the late 1700 and early 1800s. The book I found from 1823 shows him as owner, followed by Janes Boomer?
Robert

What a delicious cargo!
"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

Jimmy55

« Reply #4795 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
Finally, this morning, one of the auctions known to be held in our old Donegall Arms.
Regards,
 :hi:

Dargan

Here's  another ad referring the Donegall Arms back in 1828.

Jimmy

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4796 on: July 01, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »

What a delicious cargo!

Hi Everyone,
I have, what I believe, is another great "SHORE ROAD STORY", never before published, that relates to Sammy Getty's shop and another Getty Family. I KNOW IT'S LONG, BUT I GUARANTEE YOU IT'S WORTH THE READ !

I first met my wife Alison at the good old Floral Hall on Oct 4, 1969 and we agreed to have our first date on Oct 11, 1969 and agreed to meet at Getty's at 9 p.m.

Since Alison's parents lived in 64 Shore Road (opposite Seaview Football ground) on Oct 11th I was standing at Getty's shop, on the Shore a Road, just before 9 p.m. on that night, so as not to be late! Time passed by slowly and no sign of Alison. I walked by her house a number of times to see if she was looking out a window for me. NOTHING! So by 9:25 p.m., and being royally ticked off at being presumably being "stood up", I decided to walk past her house one last time, go back up Northwood Parade (where I lived) then up Skegoneill Avenue to the Antrim Road and off to the Floral Hall by myself! Just as I rounded the corner, from the Shore Road to Northwood Parade, around walks Alison and we both, at the same time said, "Where the heck were you?" I said "At Getty's" and so did she and both said "No you weren't !" This went on for a moment or two when suddenly the "light bulb" went on and Alison said "I meant Getty's on Skegoneill Avenue"! I said "I meant Sammy Getty's Shop two doors from your Mom's house"! We both cracked up laughing as Alison lived a lot of the time in 312 Skegoneill Avenue with her Grannie and there was a Getty family who lived two doors below her Grannie's house"! I thought she'd stood me up and she felt I'd stood her up but both of us were at the wrong Getty's! Who knows, if we had not met that night, we maybe would never have spoken to each other again! However, as they say, "The Rest is History", and almost 45 years later we are still happily married here in Canada with 3 beautiful daughters, 4 gorgeous little granddaughters, a handsome grandson (takes after his grandpa, LOL) and, God willing, another little grandchild on the way in October!
THE END!

NOT SO FAST, IT GETS BETTER, FAST FORWARD TO MARCH 15,1998, CALIFORNIA (CA), USA

At the time I was a senior financial officer for the Canadian business of a huge US company, Ball Corporation, based in Muncie, Indiana. Part of my job involved overseeing the sale of any business in the US or Canada and I was in CA finalizing the sale of an electronics business there. I was to be there for 2 weeks and on the weekend I decided (as a "Titanic Buff", saw the movie when it came out in Dec 1997)  to go to see the Queen Mary at Long Beach, CA. When I exited the ship I had to go past a closed-in area of about 30 stores to get out! One was a Heraldry Store and I went in to see what a Snowden "family plaque" would cost. After speaking to the owner I went to look round the store when this older gentleman from NI stopped me! We chatted and he told me that he was part of a Lawn Bowling Club, that played in the Grove Park, and they were all in CA for a big world tournament. As we talked I found out he went to Sinclair Seaman's Church and knew my step-mom Molly, who woulda thunk it? He introduced me to the rest of the team and when I told them I was originally from the Shore Road area this lady, and this is where it gets scary, told me she was from Skegoneill Avenue and I said my wife Alison lived there! She said she knew Alison. I can't remember her first name but she told me her maiden name was GETTY! Can you believe that? I told her, and all her friends, my story of meeting Alison at the "Getty's', and they were all amazed.

What was the chance that over 27 years, at a particular time, on a particular day on a March weekend, in CA, that I would meet a bowling group from the Grove Park and the Getty daughter whose family were "involved" on what was almost a "screwed-up" first (and possibly last!) date with my wife Alison?

TALK ABOUT 6 DEGREES OF SEPARATION! TOTALLY AMAZING !

"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

Dargan

« Reply #4797 on: July 01, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
SEWAGE

I was sent an interesting PDF today which comprised an 1888 entry in the News Letter.

It discussed how Chichester Park on the Antrim Road had a problem with sewage. At an important meeting of men of high-standing, including Frederick Kinaghan of Lowwood, some impertinent engineer who went by the name of Young had a scheme whereby he wanted to see Chichester Park's sewage channelled into the Fortwilliam system and carried off by it, as opposed to connecting the drain to the general flow of effluent which coursed underground along the Antrim Road to its destiny.

He was unable to persuade the authorities of the efficaciousness of his scheme, especially due to the fact that Valentine, owner of Fortwilliam, was prepared to pay out of his own pocket for the repair of the already-troubled drainage system at Fortwilliam.

It was mentioned that the Fortwilliam drains weren't adequate, at the then present time, to deal with that park's own sewage, let alone the sewage from elsewhere. It mentioned that it was flowing out at a meadow beyond the Arches, and making it stagnant.

Well, here was confirmation that the graveyard was already a thing of the past in 1888. It would certainly have been mentioned during the debate that went on, if sewage was polluting a meadow beyond the Arches.

It's funny how some information comes to you.

Regards,
Dargan

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4798 on: July 01, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
nice story Robert ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but a wee bit spooky  ;)
tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4799 on: July 01, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
Thanks Tommy, I know it's a little spooky but they say it's a small world and this proves it, even if it's a little "off the wall"!
Robert

nice story Robert ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but a wee bit spooky  ;)
tommy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy