Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500693 times)

tommytwotoes

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #4830 on: July 02, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
no probs Robert ,,, but  I can also add to the picture iv got all their names  well post later
regards tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4831 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »

This is a test pic to see if I can download straight from my iPad, which will be great if it works! It's an old Ireland map, so it was show how good the resolution is! Here goes!
Robert

"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4832 on: July 02, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
 dargan your old post aerocrete 8194 
tommy

Dargan

« Reply #4833 on: July 02, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »

A haberdashery shop moves near the Donegall Arms in April 1789. There must have been a good bit of trade in and around late 18th century Greencastle, and no doubt the old coaching-inn's presence had a lot to do with it. To move from Skipper Street in the centre of town to here is certainly an interesting move.

Regards,
H.
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4834 on: July 02, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
This is a test pic to see if I can download straight from my iPad, which will be great if it works! It's an old Ireland map, so it was show how good the resolution is! Here goes!
Robert

WHOOOO hang on this is way beyond our boundary

Dargan

« Reply #4835 on: July 02, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
dargan your old post aerocrete 8194 
tommy

Cheers, tommy. Peggy Barclay's must have sat alongside!
Regards,
H.
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4836 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
  dargan I would say so on jimmy,s info and was,nt that where the allotments where
regards tommy

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4837 on: July 02, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
 ok guys found this picture ,,,,,, NOW don't just look at it at a glance ,,,,, you may recognise it BUT THERE IS SOMTHING  NOT QUITE RIGHT/TRUE ABOUT IT

regards tommy

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4838 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »

OK Tommy,
Just crop (or crap, I.e. Junk it!).
To salve (LOL) your hurt feelings here's a nice little 1914 map of Belfast Lough that shows the placement of all the major big houses on it. Enjoy!
Robert

"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

Dargan

« Reply #4839 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
  dargan I would say so on jimmy,s info and was,nt that where the allotments where
regards tommy

Yea, the allotments were there and a man called Mr. Steele had one and sold his produce from it in the 1940s or maybe even 50s (according to Mother). Judging by everything we know, Peggy's has to have been here somewhere. Advert's like this are a great source of information! Jim has hit on something there!

Why I'm ruling out the advert being for Fortwilliam Cash Stores -- a shop at the end of a terrace -- is that I can't see there being nearly 2 acres attached to it. But still you never know as it could have had a load of ground to the side, going up the Shore Road towards York Road. Tommy, I think we need to conclude that it was Peggy's, and interestingly, that it may have had a different trading name by 1899. What a thing it would be to find out that name!!

I'm getting a bit foggy again with it all as it presents so much of a challenge trying to figure it out. Looking forward to that highly intriguing image you have found. It could well blow ALL theories away.  :D

Regards,
H.

Dargan

« Reply #4840 on: July 02, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
ok guys found this picture ,,,,,, NOW don't just look at it at a glance ,,,,, you may recognise it BUT THERE IS SOMTHING  NOT QUITE RIGHT/TRUE ABOUT IT

regards tommy

Well, we'll be here for WEEKS trying to sort this one out. ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING!

tommytwotoes

« Reply #4841 on: July 02, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »
well its got me baffled dargan  ??? ??? ??? ???

Dargan

« Reply #4842 on: July 02, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
Well, we'll be here for WEEKS trying to sort this one out. ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING!

That bend seems like Fortwilliam (bottom left) with Belleview Terrace. I considered if it was Donegall Park Avenue but there was no grouping of houses at the bottom like that. But if it IS Fortwilliam, where is Mount Vernon House? Could this be an image "doctored" as Mount Vernon House was an ARP post during the war? I mean was it a piece of "false intelligence" put out? Did they do that to thwart the Nazis?

If it is there is no Lowwood Park either. It has been erased!

I just don't get this! It's a highly interesting find!

What are your thoughts so far?

Regards,
H.

Dargan

« Reply #4843 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
Tommy, another reason why I think it's Fortwilliam bend is due to the small cliffs along the front of the road after it.

Dargan

« Reply #4844 on: July 02, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »

regards tommy

Just bringing the image to the fore again for viewers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy