Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500717 times)

tommytwotoes

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #4845 on: July 02, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
DARGAN it is fortwilliam junction but like you said WHERE IS LOWOOD  I can tell you mount Vernon was not yet built,,,,,,, BUT MOUNT VERNON HOUSE WAS  ,,, where has it gone ,,, and where has the arches gone ,,,,,,,,, BELLVUE TERRACE COTTAGES  are visible ,,,,,,  as is castle on the cave hill

confused
tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Jimmy55

« Reply #4846 on: July 03, 2014, 04:47:26 AM »
DARGAN it is fortwilliam junction but like you said WHERE IS LOWOOD  I can tell you mount Vernon was not yet built,,,,,,, BUT MOUNT VERNON HOUSE WAS  ,,, where has it gone ,,, and where has the arches gone ,,,,,,,,, BELLVUE TERRACE COTTAGES  are visible ,,,,,,  as is castle on the cave hill

confused
tommy

Tommy/Dargan

This is not Fortwilliam, it's Donegall Park Ave, hence why you can't see the abovementioned landmarks. The bend is far too sharp for it to be the bottom of Fortwilliam.  You can compare from the images below.

Jimmy

Canadianraptor

« Reply #4847 on: July 03, 2014, 05:42:12 AM »

Tommy/Dargan

This is not Fortwilliam, it's Donegall Park Ave, hence why you can't see the abovementioned landmarks. The bend is far too sharp for it to be the bottom of Fortwilliam.  You can compare from the images below.

Jimmy

Great work Jim!
"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

Jimmy55

« Reply #4848 on: July 03, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »

Dargan

« Reply #4849 on: July 03, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
Jim, thanks for that, I'm sure that you have just given us the answer. It's great to have a proper interactive process on the thread for the sake of trying to work things out.

What were the buildings at the very bottom, then? For you can see what looks like a terrace of houses there. Could it be that, in some way, it is an image intended to be deceptive? or;

is it one of those German reconnaissance images with landmarks later drawn in incorrectly -  I mean speculated landmarks intended as targets?

Regards,
H.

How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #4850 on: July 03, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »

Continuing with the 1789 news Letter items relating to the area: cambricks stolen from a bleaching green at Whitehouse. Transportation to the colonies for this crime, if the person was caught, was likely. Starving people stealing so as their families could eat would be sent away on those 7 years' tolls. Without wishing to go off the point or to be political, Tolpuddle in Dorset is well worth a visit.  ;)

Regards,
Dargan
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #4851 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »

I've wondered if this was the house which I remembered as a girl, seeing it from the bus window near where the Church of God now is. In Greencastle, on the shore side, there were several larger houses referred to as: Racart House, Clough Lodge and Brooklyn. I think there may have been a Brookville also. It's lost in the mists of time which one this advert referred to.

Regards to all,
H.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4852 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

What were the buildings at the very bottom, then? For you can see what looks like a terrace of houses there. Could it be that, in some way, it is an image intended to be deceptive? or;

is it one of those German reconnaissance images with landmarks later drawn in incorrectly -  I mean speculated landmarks intended as targets?

Regards,
H.

Where abouts exactly on the photo  Dargan ? Its a bit blurred at the bottom.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4853 on: July 03, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »

Why I'm ruling out the advert being for Fortwilliam Cash Stores -- a shop at the end of a terrace -- is that I can't see there being nearly 2 acres attached to it. But still you never know as it could have had a load of ground to the side, going up the Shore Road towards York Road. Tommy, I think we need to conclude that it was Peggy's, and interestingly, that it may have had a different trading name by 1899. What a thing it would be to find out that name!!

Regards,
H.

Dargan

If you think of Seaview Football ground, that is under 2 acres. ( from road to shore) So, it is not implausible to imagine an Inn /pub/Grocery store on the area where Aerocrete once stood when you compare them both. If you look at Hugh Fraser's painting it depicts the Inn facing east across the lough. (if the AD and the painting are indeed the same place) maybe the entrance was a hundred metres or so  back from the pub on the Shore Road end at what we all knew as Aerocrete.  ?

Jimmy

Dargan

« Reply #4854 on: July 03, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
Where abouts exactly on the photo  Dargan ? Its a bit blurred at the bottom.

Jim: just to the right of the white blur at the bottom left of the picture. It looks like a row of houses.

Dargan

« Reply #4855 on: July 03, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
Dargan

If you think of Seaview Football ground, that is under 2 acres. ( from road to shore) So, it is not implausible to imagine an Inn /pub/Grocery store on the area where Aerocrete once stood when you compare them both. If you look at Hugh Fraser's painting it depicts the Inn facing east across the lough. (if the AD and the painting are indeed the same place) maybe the entrance was a hundred metres or so  back from the pub on the Shore Road end at what we all knew as Aerocrete.  ?

Jimmy

Yes! That is great, Jim. Thanks for considering this. What allowed confusion to arise in me was that there was a shop on Fortview Terrace, which may have been licensed to sell beer and spirits etc. and I was wondering if it was THAT place that was being advertised? --rather than Peggy's old inn. I'll try to skip back and find my image to show you where I mean. However, I think that common sense leads to the belief that it must be Peggy's, and that your speculation here is spot on.

Regards,
H.

Dargan

« Reply #4856 on: July 03, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

Jim, the building with the yellow gable was the last one of Fortview Terrace. It was "Fortwilliam Cash Stores" in its earliest guise. By my day, "Peggy's Hair Stylist." Someone said that he did a paper-round from this shop, but I can't recall who it was. I was wondering if your advert was for this place? -- That it might have been licensed to sell beer and spirits etc. Groover said the allotments at the back of all these houses were big, and my Mother said that the gardens once stretched right down to the lough. So could it have been this place for sale? Or was it indeed Peggy's? I hope the latter!

Regards,
H.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4857 on: July 03, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
Jim: just to the right of the white blur at the bottom left of the picture. It looks like a row of houses.

Helen

That is Parkmount Terrace.

Jimmy

Dargan

« Reply #4858 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Helen

That is Parkmount Terrace.

Jimmy

Jim, Parkmount Terrace is above where Parkmount Flats were.

Jimmy55

« Reply #4859 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »

Dargan

I'm thinking the latter as well. The AD stats ; Extensive Spirit Grocery AND Beer  - Dealers Establishment erected thereon.

Jimmy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy