Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500693 times)

ontheboats

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
Friends of mine,Mr & Mrs Rana lived at 548 Shore Rd,she was called Freda. I lodged there for a few months in 1969. I think the Gaults lived next door, also remember Harry the window cleaner (always complaining about dogs dirt on the foothpaths). A friend of Freda's lived accross the road at the depot terrece ,she was called Anne. I also remember the Golden Fry when it opened,a very polite English chap owned it. There was a very good chippy at the bottom of Donegal Park Ave. The flats accross from Shore Crecent were called Parkmount flats,had a few good times behind them. There was a chippy at the little row of shops,I think a chap called Davey Mc Clean owned it,later became a Chinese carry out.

Seaviewite

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »
Friends of mine,Mr & Mrs Rana lived at 548 Shore Rd,she was called Freda. I lodged there for a few months in 1969. I think the Gaults lived next door, also remember Harry the window cleaner (always complaining about dogs dirt on the foothpaths). A friend of Freda's lived accross the road at the depot terrece ,she was called Anne. I also remember the Golden Fry when it opened,a very polite English chap owned it. There was a very good chippy at the bottom of Donegal Park Ave. The flats accross from Shore Crecent were called Parkmount flats,had a few good times behind them. There was a chippy at the little row of shops,I think a chap called Davey Mc Clean owned it,later became a Chinese carry out.

Hey On the Boats, what you talkin' about my wife Ann for?
Yes Frieda and Rana [an Indian sailor who first arrived on the INS Vikrant] were good friends of ours.  The family next door at that time would have been the Rea's [that house is the ancestral home of Dargan] the next to them was the Gough family, Mr.Gough was foreman in Hutton's
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Seaviewite

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 03:34:12 AM »
There was a chippy at the little row of shops,I think a chap called Davey Mc Clean owned it,later became a Chinese carry out.

These the shops at the bottom of the lane we are talking about?  I think I remember Davy and yes that became a Chinese resturant. Would have been the late 60's.

Jimmy55

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »
   Where abouts are you Newry. ?

RSL

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
   Where abouts are you Newry. ?

Hi Jimmy55,
I'm in the middle of a heat wave in beautiful South Australia!
What about yourself?
My Father's family lived around the Shore Road,Mt.Collyer St,Seaview St,Ritchie St.
a long time ago.
It's great to see the photo's and read the stories of the area.
Regards,N.

Jimmy55

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
 Hi Newry
I'm  in Sydney NSW, indeed it is great  reading the various posts and the memories they arouse.

Seaviewite

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
South Australia's a big state Newry, where exactly?
I'm in Mawson Lakes and enjoying Australia Day!

RSL

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
South Australia's a big state Newry, where exactly?
I'm in Mawson Lakes and enjoying Australia Day!

Away on with you, I'm just home from a barbe,myself-- celebrating Australia Day,
and get this, I'm just down the road from you,around a few corners, in Tea Tree Gully.
Now you couldn't beat that with a big stick! :)
I got the lingo from hanging around this forum!
Kind regards.

bevo1953

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
lol.....iv'e just been parked at the chippy at donegall park avenue, and low and behold i see someone taking photos of depot terrace, shore cresant, parkmount flats, and followed him to lower whitewell, was it one of our forum members ???

ontheboats

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »

Hey On the Boats, what you talkin' about my wife Ann for?
Yes Frieda and Rana [an Indian sailor who first arrived on the INS Vikrant] were good friends of ours.  The family next door at that time would have been the Rea's [that house is the ancestral home of Dargan] the next to them was the Gough family, Mr.Gough was foreman in Hutton's

Hi Seaviewite, small world isnt it. I'm sure I met you at least once,seen Ann a few times when she came over to see Freda.
Indeed Gough was the name I was thinking of, not Gault. Havent seen Freda or Rana for about 30 years. They split up,Rana went back to India and Freda remarried, went to live somewhere in Co. Down

Richard 202

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
lol.....iv'e just been parked at the chippy at donegall park avenue, and low and behold i see someone taking photos of depot terrace, shore cresant, parkmount flats, and followed him to lower whitewell, was it one of our forum members ???

Haha brilliant! I wonder will we see the photos surface in a day or so?

Having said that, there isn't much of the Tram Depot left (just the front pillars), and Depot Terrace is covered in weeds. To be honest I am surprised the council didn't demolish the site years ago.

bevo1953

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
r 202 , the middle house is still occupied, by a wee man called hamilton. the privet hedge is nearly up to the bedroom window, all the rest are boarded up.

Richard 202

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »
r 202 , the middle house is still occupied, by a wee man called hamilton. the privet hedge is nearly up to the bedroom window, all the rest are boarded up.

Thank you for the information bevo1953. He's a brave man to stay in that house, does the council even keep up renovations to it? By the state of the block on the outside it must be in some disarray inside.

Personally I'd love for Depot Terrace to stay standing, but you have to admit that as it currently looks it is yet another antiquated eyesore that highlights the underdevelopment of North Belfast.

On the whole, North Belfast is visually on par with some of the poorer areas of Eastern Europe...

Seaviewite

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Thank you for the information bevo1953. He's a brave man to stay in that house, does the council even keep up renovations to it? By the state of the block on the outside it must be in some disarray inside.

It isn't a council house Richard.  Mr.Hamilton would own the house and my information tells me that developers have tried to move him on, but he won't budge.
Goes in and out the back entrance I believe meaning the house appears unoccupied.
As I mentioned previously, there was a fire in the house many years ago and they weren't insured. So I'm guessing the place is still a mess.  Maybe the welfare people need to look at his living conditions.

Dargan

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »

Looking towards Loughview Villas from Premier Drive. This was just before they were demolished.

The demolition site. You can see the Troxy.

McCLoy's old shop at Fortwilliam.

The gate to the lane from Lowwood School.

View from Lowwood School showing a stretch of the lane.

Bottom of Donegall Park Avenue.

All taken 1990/91. I've still a few more to go. Hope they can bring good memories to you all.
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy