Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500643 times)

RSL

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 12:53:21 AM »
Dargan,lovely to see your photos.
Thanks for posting them.  :) N.

Jimmy55

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 01:44:59 AM »
Dargan
The photo taken from Lowwood School with Belfast Lough in the back ground. Reminded me  of the day in 1961 when the Cruise ship Canberra set sail from Belfast after being completed. Our teacher took the class to the spot were that  photo was taken to watch the event. Also  in 1966 when the oil rig Sea Quest was towed up the lough.The first oil rig to discover oil in the North sea.

Richard 202

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »
Fantastic photos as usual Dargan!

Love the picture of the gate to Lowwood school, you can just about make out the makeshift path from Waveney down to the lane.

Not a path to be traversed in the rain, let me tell you!

Dargan

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »
Dargan
The photo taken from Lowwood School with Belfast Lough in the back ground. Reminded me  of the day in 1961 when the Cruise ship Canberra set sail from Belfast after being completed. Our teacher took the class to the spot were that  photo was taken to watch the event. Also  in 1966 when the oil rig Sea Quest was towed up the lough.The first oil rig to discover oil in the North sea.

That's great Jimmy. A fantastic memory. I like to hear about life in the area from past times, so please tell more if you can. When I went to Lowwood we were all given "bomb-drill" in the playground. We were taught to crouch down and cover our heads in the main playground. I always enjoyed the ritual of classes being taken across the Cavehill on 30th June as a sort of final event with your old teacher. Also there were sports' days in the school field at the back. I believe it is all built-on now as the school enlarged its capacity. One of the things I could kick myself about is not taking a picture of Seaviewite's Uncle's house when he was caretaker. However, I have one or two ideas up my sleeve about acquiring one as my Uncle and Aunt lived opposite the school in Sheringhurst and there may be one or two of their family pictures which show Mr. Budden's house.
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Fantastic photos as usual Dargan!

Love the picture of the gate to Lowwood school, you can just about make out the makeshift path from Waveney down to the lane.

Not a path to be traversed in the rain, let me tell you!

I remember it well, a bit precipitous! I've been thinking that when you were young, Richard, it's possible we walked passed one another as I was taking these pictures! I left Belfast to live in England at the end of 1992. I always tried to persuade my sister to keep taking pictures but she isn't the type to be interested in memories and nostalgia, so I had to keep contact with other people so as I could keep abreast of the area's changes. Mind you, it's the seventies and sixties that interest me. Over the years I have found it very difficult to get pictures of our Road. As you said, it was not a well-photographed area.

My friend lived in Waveney Avenue. I started Lowwood School in 1968 and used to cut across the lane to her flat (16) using that wee path. In Lowwood School they were mad about wildflower projects and had a nature table in the foyer of the school back then, and sometimes classes were taken into the lane to gather wildflowers by the stream. These are such great memories to me.
How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Dargan

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
Dargan,lovely to see your photos.
Thanks for posting them.  :) N.

Glad you've been able to see the area you were born in Newry.  :)

Dargan

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
I have some more of the lane to put on later to-day. Nothing very special but they give the general idea of it.

If anyone is at all interested in starting a campaign to have Depot Terrace refurbished, that is, contacting the authorities that be, (as a group of ex or current Shore Road dwellers), pointing out that the Shore Road deserves attention as it lost its coast-line to accommodate Belfast's refuse, then please contact me via PM. If I can get a few names together and write a thoughtful letter, you never know what might get done and Mr. Hamilton might then not have slope about his place! Any ideas would be welcome if any of you can think of any. Perhaps we could put forward a case of some sort?

Seaviewite

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
It is sad when you think about it, the demise of a lot of the Shore Road "historic" buildings and terraces.  Right from the start of the road at Skegoniel Ave so much has been cleared and not really even redeveloped.  Just wiped out.
Looking at the pic of McCloy's shop, I guess it was always destined to struggle, but this had me thinking about Gilbert, the disabled lad who worked for them.  Well known on the road, Gilbert passed away only a couple of years ago.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Dargan

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
I remember Gilbert delivering the milk on the road when I was very young. I had no idea he was still living there as I didn't ever see him much beyond my childhood. Where the buildings are concerned: although the Shore Road is a long, straggly sort of place it once had a definite "stamp" about it. It had its own character. What "heritage" there was is now gone, what with the disappearance of the last of the mansions (Mount Vernon) and a lot of cottages and terraces. It seems to me that anything left ought to be cherished and viewed as survivors into this modern age.

Dargan

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »

The shaft of light cutting across the first picture is caused by light from where the steps go up into the school. Second picture looks up towards Fairhill. Third shows top of the lane looking down. Fourth, someone's garden-gate opening up onto the lane (right-hand side going up). Fifth, close to the bottom looking up. Sixth, people coming down from Fairhill.

hennebryl

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Love the new photos Dargan-talk about having an trip dow :) n memory lane! Thanks again

Jimmy55

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
It is sad when you think about it, the demise of a lot of the Shore Road "historic" buildings and terraces.  Right from the start of the road at Skegoniel Ave so much has been cleared and not really even redeveloped.  Just wiped out.
Looking at the pic of McCloy's shop, I guess it was always destined to struggle, but this had me thinking about Gilbert, the disabled lad who worked for them.  Well known on the road, Gilbert passed away only a couple of years ago.
Indeed Seaviewite... I remember Gilbert, he was Down syndrome, he did the papers for Mc Cloys and also worked on the Co Op milk run.

Jimmy55

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »

The shaft of light cutting across the first picture is caused by light from where the steps go up into the school. Second picture looks up towards Fairhill. Third shows top of the lane looking down. Fourth, someone's garden-gate opening up onto the lane (right-hand side going up). Fifth, close to the bottom looking up. Sixth, people coming down from Fairhill.
    I  used to live in the house first on the left coming down the lane.

Seaviewite

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
I remember Gilbert delivering the milk on the road when I was very young. I had no idea he was still living there as I didn't ever see him much beyond my childhood. Where the buildings are concerned: although the Shore Road is a long, straggly sort of place it once had a definite "stamp" about it. It had its own character. What "heritage" there was is now gone, what with the disappearance of the last of the mansions (Mount Vernon) and a lot of cottages and terraces. It seems to me that anything left ought to be cherished and viewed as survivors into this modern age.

Not sure where Gilbert lived after the houses and the shop folded but do know that he ended up in a Nursing Home in his later years.  Lived quite a long life for a Downs Syndrom sufferer didn't he, but he was always active and doing stuff when he could and followed Crusaders right to the end.

Seaviewite

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Digging up all these memories of happenings on the Shore Road, and you lads all seem to have great memories.  
Tell me this, when was it that the lion escaped from the circus that was being held in the Grove Theatre.  I know it was after we were in Oz as I was amazed to see the Shore Road and Fortwilliam Crescent on the TV news  -  any news from Belfast in those days that didn't involve bombing or shooting was indeed noteworthy. ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy