Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 2500638 times)

Jimmy55

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »
Dargan, mention of the shops opposite to Tram Depot had me thinking.
Next to the lane there was for a time not a bad Chinese Resturant, then it became a chippie, nickname Greasy Joe's, There was a hardware shop then next to that was Beth's Hairdressers. There was an entrance to the upstairs club* then i believe a butchers shop. The other end shop belonged to McCunes [ther big shop on the road opposite Skegoniel Ave] this was a grocery and bakery shop.

The upstairs club I believe began as The Rooftop Club and there were dances held there on week-ends.  After a couple of years I think it became the Transport Club where they had a bar and played darts and snooker etc. Don't know how it ended up.

Talking about the wild flowers in the area, what was interesting but not too widely known was that when all the prefabs were cleared away, the area in there had loads of lovely flowers and shrubs which were of originally peoples gardens.

The pumping station did indeed ensure that the water in that waterway didn't overflow and when there were heavy rains the pumps were always working flat out pumping theexcess water and sewage into the tide at that point.

Hi Seaviewite.   The Roof Top club was a club for teenagers  in Mount Vernon, behind the High rise flats ( Ross House). The upstairs club you refered to I believe was  originally named the Electric Club.

Dargan

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
To everyone currently reading this and making posts: it's great to hear what all of you have to say. I just love this because it's all so homely and familiar. Speaking of the shops: I remember a pet-shop too in that row at the bottom of the lane, plus Beth's, a Chinese takeaway (before the bakery), and before the Indian people I think a family called "[censored]" owned that shop at the other end of the row from the bakery. There was once a petrol station next to Lowwood Terrace and Hutton's Yard at the back. Further down towards Lowwood Park (but not in order): Dennis Jackson's, McNeill's, Stewarty Smyth's grocery shop, Lindy-May drapers (with the orange cellophane in the window to stop the stuff from fading). I also remember a laundrette being next to Dennis Jackson's (going towards Greencastle) and the same building was also a fruit-shop at one time. One of our neighbours worked in it. I also remember the Golden Fry when the counter was much further back and there were tables and chairs. A tall, thin man with black hair owned it. I think he might have been English, but I can't recall too clearly. This was in the days before Victor owned it. He was a very cheerful sort of man. However, prior to Victor's ownership, the Mother of a girl I went to school with worked in it and we used to have a treat on Friday lunch-time sat at the tables -- a sausage, chips and a glass of Coke or Fanta. 20p each!!

I've had to go on to Google Earth to check to see which buildings are still in existence and which are gone. It gives me a better idea of what you all might like to see. I have a few more to put on yet but probably won't get a chance until the weekend. I also have pictures in a wooden-box here that aren't yet scanned so I'll see what's there also. In the meantime, here is Calvert's old post-office which I notice has moved round the corner and into a building that was once a grocery-shop at the bottom of Donegall Park Avenue. Regards to all of you. Newry, thank-you for starting this thread!

How to deal intelligently with rising fuel bills: self-identify as a Martian and ask them to bill you at home.

Richard 202

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:57 AM »
Outstanding photo of the old Post Office, Dargan!

Many a time I remember going in there with my mum, hoping she'd buy me a little Matchbox toy car!

I'm very interested to hear that you also remember a pet shop along the row of shops opposite the Depot terrace. It's quite strange, but a few years ago I was just sitting at home and all of a sudden this image jumped into my head of being inside it!

Now, the thought was very telling as the viewpoint was VERY low down. Basically, I believe it was a long-forgotten memory that I had had since I was a very young child!

The mind works in strange ways, and thanks to your magic photographs a lot of fantastic childhood memories are coming back to me.

Thank you. :)

Seaviewite

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »

Hi Seaviewite.   The Roof Top club was a club for teenagers  in Mount Vernon, behind the High rise flats ( Ross House). The upstairs club you refered to I believe was  originally named the Electric Club.

You are correct Jimmy, it was the Electric Club.  Played darts in there a couple of times.

But I'm fairly sure that it originally was called The Rooftop Club.  I remember them running a competition to select the name.  As I said, they use to have dances complete with showbands in the beginning, and it was built on the roof top of the already existing shops.  Didn't last too long, a bit noisy, some trouble etc would have brought complaints from the neighbours.

I think that maybe the Rooftop Club in Mount Vernon adopted the name as it came along later.  I recall playing football against Rooftop in the old South Belfast League.  Out of interest, was the Rooftop Youth Club in Mt.Vernon on a rooftop?. 
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

Seaviewite

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
A happening possibly not too widely known is that the famous Ulster character James Young actually died, from a heart attack I think, just outside the shops near Lowwood.  My wife was working in Denis's at the time when Mr.Young's car bumped up onto the footpath.  They were all out around the car, Jack McNeill, Stewart Smyth etc but no one realised who it was until it was on the news.

bevo1953

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
it was also called the satelite ballroom at one time....does anyone remember the sugar hut. ?

Seaviewite

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »
it was also called the satelite ballroom at one time....does anyone remember the sugar hut. ?

Right again Bevo.  Maybe my memory about this venue is all askew! ::)

Jimmy55

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

You are correct Jimmy, it was the Electric Club.  Played darts in there a couple of times.

But I'm fairly sure that it originally was called The Rooftop Club.  I remember them running a competition to select the name.  As I said, they use to have dances complete with showbands in the beginning, and it was built on the roof top of the already existing shops.  Didn't last too long, a bit noisy, some trouble etc would have brought complaints from the neighbours.

I think that maybe the Rooftop Club in Mount Vernon adopted the name as it came along later.  I recall playing football against Rooftop in the old South Belfast League.  Out of interest, was the Rooftop Youth Club in Mt.Vernon on a rooftop?.

Hi Seaviewite, Its posssible that they did get the name from there. The Roof Top club in Mount Vernon was on top of the residents garages  that were behind Ross House. All long gone now. Bevo was correct it was the Satellite ballroom before the Electric club.

Jimmy55

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
A happening possibly not too widely known is that the famous Ulster character James Young actually died, from a heart attack I think, just outside the shops near Lowwood.  My wife was working in Denis's at the time when Mr.Young's car bumped up onto the footpath.  They were all out around the car, Jack McNeill, Stewart Smyth etc but no one realised who it was until it was on the news.
I remember that day well Seaviewite, July 1974.  A  friend and I were walking along the shore road when we saw the ambulance staff performing CPR  on James.Something that is still very vivid in my mind. It was right outside Jack McNeill's chemist shop. As you  mentioned no one had any idea who he was until they heard the news that evening.

hennebryl

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 01:04:37 AM »
Just found this forum and really enjoying seeing all the old photos of the Shore Rd on here and having a trip down memory lane. I grew up in Fairhill Walk, but have been out here in LA for the past 17 years. I went to Lowwood school and remember walking down the lane past the Waveney steps and the sandys too many times to remember. Went to the wee bakery at the bottom of the lane to get our paris buns too, and also to Shook's wee shop in the corner for sweets. I remember the pet store that used to be there too-had totally forgot about that, so was a nice flashback when someone mentioned it here. The Golden Fry was a staple for anyone growing up round here, and also the newsagent next door for the Beano and some sweets when I was wee. Remember the old flats across from Shore Crescent too, my mum's cousin Margaret Muirhead owned the wee sweet shop/newsagent there. Everyone knew the Texaco, and as a bored teenager at night, my mates and I would head over there for a Coke and chocolate bar and see who was hanging about. Remember when they built Loughside and we all thought it was a eyesore, walking to the Grove swimmers, playing at the Grove park, trips up to the CaveHill, playing football out in the street until dark or your mum called you in for dinner-good memories and glad I came across this forum!

Jimmy55

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »
Hi hennebryl

Welcome to the Belfast Forum. I too used to live in Fairhill Park, where Fairhill walk is now was just a lane that  lead up to the Somerton road when we left in 1966,  then  we moved to Mount Vernon. Like yourself I also went to Lowwood primary.
Enjoy the Forum !

Richard 202

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
Just found this forum and really enjoying seeing all the old photos of the Shore Rd on here and having a trip down memory lane. I grew up in Fairhill Walk, but have been out here in LA for the past 17 years. I went to Lowwood school and remember walking down the lane past the Waveney steps and the sandys too many times to remember. Went to the wee bakery at the bottom of the lane to get our paris buns too, and also to Shook's wee shop in the corner for sweets. I remember the pet store that used to be there too-had totally forgot about that, so was a nice flashback when someone mentioned it here. The Golden Fry was a staple for anyone growing up round here, and also the newsagent next door for the Beano and some sweets when I was wee. Remember the old flats across from Shore Crescent too, my mum's cousin Margaret Muirhead owned the wee sweet shop/newsagent there. Everyone knew the Texaco, and as a bored teenager at night, my mates and I would head over there for a Coke and chocolate bar and see who was hanging about. Remember when they built Loughside and we all thought it was a eyesore, walking to the Grove swimmers, playing at the Grove park, trips up to the CaveHill, playing football out in the street until dark or your mum called you in for dinner-good memories and glad I came across this forum!

Welcome to the forum mate! Great to hear your memories of the Shore Road, glad that the pet shop opposite Depot Terrace is getting more confirmation! Thought I was imagining things at first until you and Dargan said you remembered it too!

I actually asked my mum today on Skype (my parents are still back home in Belfast) and she also confirmed that there was that pet shop. Apparently my mum, granny & me went in there to buy shoes (made of cow skin) to give to our first pet dog. It's a very vague memory in my mind, but it's definitely there all the same. Funny how some memories come back to you in little fragments, they can be so small that you really doubt them. Once others confirm them, it's very comforting.

How do you find life in LA? One of my favourite rock bands are from California, you may remember them they're called Berlin. Do you still miss Belfast? I've spent the last 2 years in Montreal (Canada) with my wife, I do miss home so much. My wife is from Montreal so she is obviously happy to be here, but I I really miss the closeness of my mum & dad and also my friends.

To be honest, if it was not for my wife I would not have moved away from Belfast. I do like Canada, and I am learning French to fit into life in Montreal, but to me it's just not home.

It's funny, I know Belfast has its faults but I really miss it. It's my home.

RSL

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
  1951 street directory No,567-581 Shore Road ,Depot terrace?
No  567 Gault, T.  fitter
--   568 Mc Keown, Mrs
--   571 Spiers, George. tram conductor
--   573 Hall, J,J. labourer
--   575 Magill,F tram conductor
--   577 Watkins, James
--   579 Magill, T. traveller
--   581 Shore Rd Tramway Depot, Allen, T. Cashier, B.C.T.

Thank you Harrydunn for posting this list.
According to this, looks like I was born in the same house that seaviewite lived in.
Not at the same time of course.What a coincidence though if this is true. :)

Seaviewite

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
  1951 street directory No,567-581 Shore Road ,Depot terrace?
No  567 Gault, T.  fitter
--   568 Mc Keown, Mrs
--   571 Spiers, George. tram conductor
--   573 Hall, J,J. labourer
--   575 Magill,F tram conductor
--   577 Watkins, James
--   579 Magill, T. traveller
--   581 Shore Rd Tramway Depot, Allen, T. Cashier, B.C.T.

The only name from that list which was still around when we lived there is Hall.  Although the family then must have included the children and grandchildren of the J.J.Hall who was there in 1951.

Imagine Newry being born in our house. :o   

RSL

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »

The only name from that list which was still around when we lived there is Hall.  Although the family then must have included the children and grandchildren of the J.J.Hall who was there in 1951.

Imagine Newry being born in our house. :o

Yes and imagine, we both ended up on the other  side of the globe! :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy