Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 1468677 times)

arch

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12225 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »

Dargan

« Reply #12226 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
Apologies, in advance, for the randomness of this post. If you don't like the honest contents of a mind struggling to stay alive and assimilate things past and present (and hopefully future) in the modern age, skip. And if prepared to read on, know also that the pride I feel in coming from the Shore Road is authentic and will be to the end. What a great place!

Being interested in the area, and that being a given, people have told me things that have washed over me, such as ribald stories about a man who had an allotment years ago at the back of Loughview Villas, and tales about happenings connected to what is commonly referred to as The Troubles. That very phrase makes my flesh crawl. Because of the semi-gentle phraseology employed here to describe what was actually miasma from hell, it seems to me to like it's almost giving credence and excuse for a whole lot of people going around killing, causing injury and mayhem because they were tribal, insular, parochial cowards too frightened to raise their heads above the parapet to be different. “The Troubles” make it sound like a boil either side of the split which can't be lanced, rather than a long term campaign by some to terrorise because they could get away with it. And then there were the others who lived well away from it all who directed operations and made money one way or the other. I mean persons such as Boak, Ralph, Huey and the rest of this illustrious clan.

But certainly it has to be granted that there were aspects of ordinary people's lives which were coloured black by these so-called troubles, and which may be worth a mention, perhaps even such as me not able to go up to The Glen on the Antrim Road to see a few male friends, brothers, one of whom was in The Trout Band which played in the Art College on York Street a few times when the "New Co" was in full throng after the eejits wrecked the one before it. I couldn't go to see them and they couldn't come down to see me because the regularity of that could have worked out bad for any of us. I had to wait until we were all working in the markets.

The oldest one in the band later disappeared into London somewhere to follow his profession. I actually saw him on t.v. years later as he was prominent in the Manchester United football fans' association (don't know it's official name and don't want to, so don't tell me) when I lived North of that sprawling, crammed, soulless city and yearned for the openness of the Shore Road with its coastline and range of hills within sight of all of our homes. Even if we were taking in rubbish from elsewhere like a set of fools conditioned to believe in ourselves as unworthy of anything better, it was still a great place. Why didn't we go mad about this instead of expending energy on cultivating things that had no long-term benefit?

The essence and unique feel of the Shore Road and its characters not out to grind axes or take advantage of secluded sheds amongst potato beds, pre-internet days, is what enthralls me, and dwelling on that rather than peccadilloes and terror- things which can happen anywhere - is where it's at for me. I hope I can help to inspire your own best memories whether they remain private reflections or items you feel strong enough to mention here and thereby help the continuation of this thread which, in part, honours the area.

Cast your memories back to what a Winter day leading up to Christmas could be like on the Shore Road as people went around buying groceries, inviting neighbours in for cups of tea, or were stood in the blue, cold air to catch buses into the city chatting to people they didn't know as they waited because it was the norm and it was the most cheerful way to spend waiting moments. What "heart" there was back then! And think of those at the very same bus-stop who just stood admiring the Cavehill with its sprinkling of snow highlighting paths and groves of trees, and think of others putting Christmas lights onto indoor trees who frequented the wee local shops for their presents and complained about Billy Kyle's spuds standing in a heap at the door next to the coal.  How much better is all this than contemplating the tawdry and the downright evil? Not that anyone on this thread has ever glorified anything of a lesser mature. But it does strike me that too many accounts of Belfast draw upon the troubles to sketch the essence of an area, as if they were the only platform to build from to form an account of things. I like it when the damn things are never mentioned though granted there are many great books out there outlining people's memories which comprise items about the troubles. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see a lot more books, especially about our road.

More random memories and an assortment of nonsense coming up soon, and regards to all inclined to goodwill.

Oh hang on, a woman who used to come into our house wearing, at all times, her husband's size 13 slippers used often to recite a little poem:

The Starvation Army free from sin, went to heaven in a corned-beef tin.

If there's a heaven I don't think there will be some sets of people arriving in corned beef tins as distinct from ones arriving in sardine tins and others in salmon tins, and that their innermost persuasions will be known because of the type of tin. But if we do arrive in tins, well the Shore Road people will have all kinds of brands to arrive in because of what was chucked in the tide from other parts of the city. We'll have a better class of tin to arrive in too, for there'll be antique ones, and if you're allowed to arrive in bottles and I can get in I'll arrive in Doctor Harvey McConnell's Chlorodine Mixture for I'm not feeling too well these days. (I wish I had written down all the brand-names on the bottles I have dug up in the football field).

To all who have a voice: don't let them dump rubbish again. If you think it's on the cards: REVOLT. Regards.  :hi:

No, not even if on fire.

arch

« Reply #12227 on: December 11, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

Dargan

« Reply #12228 on: December 11, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »
Fabulous.
No, not even if on fire.

arch

« Reply #12229 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »

Crusaders ground in photo.

arch

« Reply #12230 on: December 11, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »

arch

« Reply #12231 on: December 11, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

arch

« Reply #12232 on: December 11, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »

arch

« Reply #12233 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »

New garage on site of old Shaftesbury Inn, golf club top right. Photo taken from Napoleons nose.

brixmis

« Reply #12234 on: December 11, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
posted on behalf of Helen//Dargan this is a photo she had sent to her some time ago but was unable to upload its Roy McFadden and poss,his little bro Frank she is not sure of location but I think its outside McKinney,s steal company maybe someone can confirm
regards HELEN/tommy
This looks like what is now Melville's funeral parlour at the top of Mineral St.
Boomshanka

brixmis

« Reply #12235 on: December 11, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
I'm guessing that the old houses are PRIMEROSE VILLA,S at skeggie  unfortunately frank didn't mention where the pictures where maybe robbert or ken will remember these
regards tommy
Loughside Terrace off Northwood Crescent/ Skegoneill Ave.
Boomshanka

locomotive

« Reply #12236 on: December 11, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
Absolutely brilliant pictures from Cave Hill, it's over 60 years since I stood up there, May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Jimmy55

« Reply #12237 on: December 12, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »

Great photo's Arch, it must have been a struggle getting to the top in all that snow !

Jimmy

arch

« Reply #12238 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
Absolutely brilliant pictures from Cave Hill, it's over 60 years since I stood up there, May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.
Thanks, and same to you and yours.

arch

« Reply #12239 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
Great photo's Arch, it must have been a struggle getting to the top in all that snow !

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, not to bad going up, it was coming down was more of a problem. Went up on Friday,  blizzard conditions only seen 2 people and went up again on Sunday and the place was crawling with people.