Author Topic: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.  (Read 1985420 times)

HarryHippo

Re: Anyone from the shore road area of Belfast?.
« Reply #12480 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »
Hi all, Jimmy is correct . The Edinburgh Castle was at the corner of Canning st as shown in the picture and facing Whitla st.( were the bus is parked )  The Gibraltar was at the corner of Brougham st.

Eddie allens moved across the road from dock st/york st to what was ' cecille hairdresser ' on the block between Brougham st and Spencer st. He may have even moved into what was Jimmy Bowmans shop for a while between Bentinck st and Brougham st ( later moving to Duncairn Gardens then to North Queen St )

Kingsland Stores was on York st between Dock st and and North Thomas st . diectly facing Meadow st on the opposite side.
Its all so confusing eh ?   :)
Lux Et Veritas

Wildgoose

« Reply #12481 on: October 09, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
The bar on the corner of Whitla st was the Waterloo across from the LMS railway station

Daz55

« Reply #12482 on: October 09, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »
Hi Spudz dead on about that, where was the Gibraltar Bar then was it corner of Brougham st, and the Smoothin Iron was that Canning st? Daz.

Daz55

« Reply #12483 on: October 09, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
Sorted Harry.

brixmis

« Reply #12484 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
So was there a bar on the opposite corner of Brougham St?
Boomshanka

Wildgoose

« Reply #12485 on: October 10, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
172 York st Barr, Charles, & Co., grocers & tea merchants   here is Brougham st.  174 York st Woods Bros., spirit
merchants.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12486 on: October 10, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »
Hi Spudz dead on about that, where was the Gibraltar Bar then was it corner of Brougham st, and the Smoothin Iron was that Canning st? Daz.
hi danny the iv checked with the guy who actually owns the photo and he said the bus is parked outside the entrance to the station, and I think the smoothing iron was top of the canning st and north queen st junction  I also think there was a little place in Cambridge st, called the Cambridge me boon and Freddie curry use to go there up stairs and yes boon use to sing that blasted song LITTLE OLD WINE DRINKER ME   :D PS dock st was up past whitla st,   I think the  railway bar was also bottom of canning street                 regards tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Willty

« Reply #12487 on: October 12, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
Hi folks,the smoothing iron, (Queens Arms) was at the top of Hanna St. And Rowan St.was called this because of shape its triangular shape.Done a good after hours trade with RUC from York Rd.

Willty

« Reply #12488 on: October 12, 2018, 12:15:46 PM »
Harry Hippo,you've a good memory re York St. Great shopping area then in the sixties,lots of shops of all trades and a bar on nearly every corner.I frequented the Edinburgh Castle a lot,great entertainment in the upstairs lounge.Also the Bambi Rooms,nice quiet lounge to take a bird to.All now just a fading memory.

HarryHippo

« Reply #12489 on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Harry Hippo,you've a good memory re York St. Great shopping area then in the sixties,lots of shops of all trades and a bar on nearly every corner.I frequented the Edinburgh Castle a lot,great entertainment in the upstairs lounge.Also the Bambi Rooms,nice quiet lounge to take a bird to.All now just a fading memory.
Memories indeed Wiltly . Was just a boy then, but i remember the owner Larry i think his name was. He was a great fella as was Gerry woods who owned the Gib.  If memory serves the Castle was burned to the ground around the early 1970s infact the whole front block from Canning st to Bentinck st was bulldozed after it.   ;)
Lux Et Veritas

Willty

« Reply #12490 on: October 12, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
H H,the Castle was burned out in 69 along with a lot of other bars in a night of rioting in York St. /North Queen St.
The police and army were only standing around to save life,I was there and asked a cop why don't you stop the burning and was told it wouldn't be safe to try and stop the rioters burning catholic business as security forces couldn't control the situation.My neighbourhood was never the same again.

HarryHippo

« Reply #12491 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
H H,the Castle was burned out in 69 along with a lot of other bars in a night of rioting in York St. /North Queen St.
The police and army were only standing around to save life,I was there and asked a cop why don't you stop the burning and was told it wouldn't be safe to try and stop the rioters burning catholic business as security forces couldn't control the situation.My neighbourhood was never the same again.
yes  ...sad time Wilty for all. and poor oul Gerry woods was killed a few years later .. it must be mentioned that protestant business's were destroyed as well ....the whole district suffered ....and to what end ?  :(
Lux Et Veritas

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12492 on: October 13, 2018, 12:48:35 AM »
Hi folks,the smoothing iron, (Queens Arms) was at the top of Hanna St. And Rowan St.was called this because of shape its triangular shape.Done a good after hours trade with RUC from York Rd.
hi willty ya right it was hanna st rowan st and yes given its nick name because of the shape ,, drank in there few times in the wee snug room we would only by half pints and top our selves up with a bottle of mundies we brought before going in ,  regards tommy

tommytwotoes

« Reply #12493 on: October 13, 2018, 01:11:55 AM »
the guy who owned the Edinburgh castle was Larry Murphy , and the owner of the GIB was Peter Gerard woods he was known as Gerry , but round mount Vernon where I grew up we all knew him as peter ,,,  I knew peter as he only lived round the corner from me in lowood he was only 29 when he was shot  in 1972, his wife AILLISA think that was her name was left with two young children to bring up ,, his brother who I cant remember his name of hand ran their other bar I think it was called the white lion 
regards tommy

HarryHippo

« Reply #12494 on: October 13, 2018, 01:57:38 AM »
the guy who owned the Edinburgh castle was Larry Murphy , and the owner of the GIB was Peter Gerard woods he was known as Gerry , but round mount Vernon where I grew up we all knew him as peter ,,,  I knew peter as he only lived round the corner from me in lowood he was only 29 when he was shot  in 1972, his wife AILLISA think that was her name was left with two young children to bring up ,, his brother who I cant remember his name of hand ran their other bar I think it was called the white lion 
regards tommy
Thats the man Tommy,  Larry Murphy ..  I remember the White Lion at the corner of Henry st .. I didnt know Gerrys brother ran that but there ya go ...  Was sad to hear at the time about Gerrys death ...he was a good man and i always enjoyed an oul yarn with him even though i was only a nipper and he probably spent more time chasing me up the road than ' conversing '. was very sad for his wife and children .  :(

Lux Et Veritas