Author Topic: Children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes  (Read 1779 times)

Rosemary Joan

Children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
Have any of you any connection to Bridget or James Hannaway, children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes.  Both born before 1911.  Sarah Jane was my step g.grandmother.
RosemaryJoan
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

JimG

Re: Children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »
Hi Rosemary Joan, hoping something below is fresh for you, have you seen the 1911 census for 12 Mountcollyer Road (Duncairn, Antrim) with Patrick bornabt 1869 Newrya Rose Hannaway was living in Pound StBallynacraig Newry see ask ireland griffithsa Sarah Maynes b abt 1856 Cloxes Co Monaghan hasseveral possible mayne spelling in the county from same sourceIn 1918 the only Hannaway I could find in marylennons great street directory were Hannaway,Michael, compositor, 16 May Street Little
Hannaway, Wm., Workers' Union Society, 7 May Street LittleIdidn’t try familysearch.com Youare as busy as ever  good luck, Jim

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »
Hello Jim,  Of course, I'm always on the search.  This is my step mother's family I'm researching (again).  Unfortunately there are no Monaghan marriages online yet  so can't start there, and I can't find Sarah Jane's birth on any Monaghan records yet.  I am sure she was born C of I, not R.C.
Did you mean that you found Maynes in Griffiths in Clones??
Cheers,
RosemaryJoan

bobdenn

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »

RJ,

I assume you know about this website?

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/monaghan/index.htm

:)

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
Hello Bobdenn,  No I didn't know about this website.  Have had a look, but it is mostly empty up to the minute.
Thanks for the link.
RosemaryJoan

JimG

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Rosemary Joan, I could not find a Mayne{s} in Clones civil parish in Griffith, but in Griffiths there are many Mayne in other civil parishes in Co Monaghan
Onwards, Jim

kingskerswell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
Hi,
   1 Nov 1896 Patrick Hannaway married Sarah MAINS (nee Moore, I think) in Belfast, Urban2, Roman Catholic Church. Parents were Bernard Hannaway and William Moore?

Regards

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
Thanks Kingskerswell.  I already have this marriage.  I just can't figure out how she came to born Moore, then Sarah Jane Bleakely (husband James Maynes) on her childrens' birth certificates in the late 1800s.  I have never been able to find her marriage to James Maynes.  She and her children were Church of Ireland then.
Her first child was Mary, born 1873 and baptised in St. Anne's.

She was born around 1855/6 in Clones, according to the 1911 census.
Her husband James Maynes/Mains etc. died in 1887 and her children were grown up when she married again.

bobdenn

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
Thanks Kingskerswell.  I already have this marriage.  I just can't figure out how she came to born Moore, then Sarah Jane Bleakely (husband James Maynes) on her childrens' birth certificates in the late 1800s.  I have never been able to find her marriage to James Maynes.  She and her children were Church of Ireland then.
Her first child was Mary, born 1873 and baptised in St. Anne's.

She was born around 1855/6 in Clones, according to the 1911 census.
Her husband James Maynes/Mains etc. died in 1887 and her children were grown up when she married again.

RJ,

Perhaps she married more than once.

Maiden name was MOORE.
Then she married BLEAKLEY and was widowed.
Then she married MAYNE(S) and was widowed.
Then she married HANNAWAY.

???

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »
Hello Bobdenn, Yes that is indeed possible, but I can only find her marriage to Hannaway.  Also, she would have been 18 when she had her first child, called Mary Maynes, so she must have been married and widowed very young before she married James Maynes.
Of course the other possibility is that she was illegitimate, her mother being a Blakely and her father being a Moore.
I may have to thole until the Monaghan records are more accessible.
I hope none of you are losing sleep over this puzzle!!
RosemaryJoan

JenniferH

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
Hi Rosemary Joan,

Patrick and Sarah are my g/grandparents.
Their daughter Bridget married a Mr Jordan and their son James is my grandfather (although I never knew him). My dad has fond memories of his grandparents Patrick and Sarah (and their Jack Russel Jip!), they eventually moved in Springview Street off the Springfield Road.

I don't know an awful lot about Sarah. Although, what I do know is that she had children, I think a girl and a boy, from a previous marriage to Maynes. When living at 102 Mountcollyer Rd she signed the Ulster Covenant along with 2 others at that address - Sarah Maynes and a Jane Livingston. I've assumed Sarah is her daugher and Jane is prehaps a sister as she has no connection to the Hannaway side.

Sarah converted to Catholisim and Patrick married on 01.11.1896 and she is listed as Sarah Mains (Moore). I think Mains is a mis-spelling of Maynes and I think Moore is her maiden name as I found another record for a Sarah Moore marrying a Thomas Mayne in St Anne's Church of Ireland on 14.11.1886.

That's about all I know of Sarah but if you've any questions let me know and I'll ask my dad as he may be 81 but as a razor sharp memory and knows quite a lot of family history and stories!!

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
Hello JenniferH.  Sarah Jane Maynes was my stepmother's grandmother, so her daughter Jane was my 'Nanny'.  She was married to Samuel Livingstone and had five children, one of them my stepmother.  Jane's sister Sarah never married and always lived with her.  There was also a son John, and another daughter Mary, 4 children in all. Sarah Jane's first husband was James Maynes who was a stone cutter and died young.  I can give you a bit more info. but Sarah Jane was a big mystery, as she gave her name as Sarah Jane Bleakley when registering her children's births.  I only found the name Moore which she gave when she married Patrick.  She said on the 1911 Census that she was born in Clones, Co. Monaghan, but I can't find her birth.  I must look at the marriage of Thomas.  I will send you a PM with my email address and we can continue washing our dirty linen in private!!  Regards, RosemaryJoan

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Hello folks.  Just to let you know that Jennifer H and myself have made contact and are both thrilled to have done so.  This just proves how good the Belfast Forum is.  So the motto is:  'Be patient and someone will answer your query'.
RosemaryJoan

Barbara Louise Groves

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
Sarah was my great great grandmother. I have found the record of her birth in Clones as Sarah Jane Blakely.

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
Barbara Louise, I am thrilled to hear from you.  I have searched for years for Sarah Jane's birth, so PLEASE can you send it to me, and I will will send you what I have about the Maynes family.  I am in touch with Liam Jordan occasionally.