Author Topic: Children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes  (Read 1701 times)

Barbara Louise Groves

Re: Children of Patrick Hannaway and Sarah Jane Maynes
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Sorry, she could not be the Sarah Blakely/Bleakly born in Clones, as the date is too late.  Her daughter Mary, born 1873 was my great-grandmother and married John Stewart in 1891 and had 7 children. One of them was my grandfather William James whose name is on the war memorial in the City Hall of corporation employees killed in WW2. While she gives her maiden name as Blakely on Mary's birth cert, it looks like Rath on Sarah Jane's.  Jane Livingstone was her other daughter born 1883 - can't find record of birth. Jane and her sister Sarah signed the Ulster Covenant/Women's Declaration along with their mother Sarah Hannaway. Needless to say, Patrick Hannaway did not. James Maynes was a stone cutter. The dust probably cut short his life, especially as most of the rest seem to have enjoyed longevity.

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Just to butt in to mention the following two items, they don't solve anything, but in case you haven't encountered them before...

1.  In the context that her former name on her daughter Sarah Jane's 1875 birth registration does indeed look like 'Rath', note that a James Mains of Belfast married a Sarah Jane Rafe of Belfast in St. Anne's Church of Ireland on 31 March 1872, in the church record transcription, James was recorded as a 22 year old labourer, son of John Mains a farmer, 21 year old Sarah Jane's father was given as William Rafe, a soldier, the witnesses were Thomas Kinly and Mary Jane Curry.

2. In the context of her stated birthplace in the 1911 Ireland census and that the forename/surname Ralph can be pronounced as Rafe, note the following two baptisms:

- 9 November 1856, Clones Church of Ireland parish, Sarah Jane Ralph, baptised for parents Thomas and Sarah Ralph;

- 29 July 1854, Clones Church of Ireland parish, William Thomas Ralph, baptised for parents Thomas and Margaret Ralph, the fathers occupation given as Recruiting Sgt. 27th Regiment of Foot.

I know that the 1856 baptism would make Sarah Jane a minor in the 1872 marriage (if it is her), but that wouldn't particularly rule it out for me.  I also wondered if the father Thomas in the above baptisms was more fully William Thomas (like the son), I've lost count where the forename William is dropped and the second/middle name used instead - particularly William John to John, that's a very common one.

Yes, Sarah Jane's surnames were all over the place, who knows what combination of events may have conspired to introduce that uncertainty, eg. maybe she was orphaned early? Anyway, just to note the above.   

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
Barbara, Sarah Jane was my stepmother's grandmother.  I met your great grandmother when I was a child , also her sister Sarah lived with us for a while until her death.  Barbara,I will send you a Private message with the Mains family tree.
CMcG this marriage has puzzled me for years, so thank you for mentioning Sarah Jane Ralph's baptism.  I didn't know this, and will have a closer look. Where did you find the baptism records? This would answer all the questions although on her marriage to Patrick Hannaway, she gives her father as William Moore (I think)
RosemaryJoan

As ye sow, so shall ye reap

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »
The Ralph baptisms are transcripts from the 'RootsIreland' website.

In the Hannaway marriage, the Civil Registrar definitely recorded Sarah's father's name as William Moore:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10505/5826149.pdf

But bizarrely, the Holy Family Church record of the exact same marriage cited her father as Samuel Mains, but to be clear, this is what a 'RootsIreland' transcript says, I haven't seen the original register. Nevertheless, it hints the possibility that her perceived ancestry was all over the place. 

But the 1872 marriage is intriguing, names like James Mains (Maynes or variants) weren't two a penny and here was one in Belfast marrying a Sarah Jane in 1872 (the year before Mary was born in 1873).  Hmmm.

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
Thanks, I found them on Roots Ireland, and intriguing both have different mothers, and no marriages for Thomas Ralph until 1891 in Dublin to Margaret Tierney .  They are on the 1901 census in Dublin.  I am beginning to believe that this is our Sarah Jane Blakely.  There are lots of Blakelys in Griffiths Clones, so just maybe the Sarah mentioned in the baptism is a Sarah Blakely.  I have her photograph and am in touch with her granddaughter, so will get back to her and see if any of this rings a bell.
Many thanks for your input. You are right, I have the original certficate of her second marriage and I dont think the poor woman ever knew what to give as her father's name.I just love solving puzzles.
RosemaryJoan
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

Barbara Louise Groves

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
All these suggestions are very helpful. I think that Sarah Jane's mother Sarah was probably widowed and remarried to Bleakly/Blakely. She, the mother, Sarah Blakely, was present at and registered the birth in August 1880 of James Mains (unnamed on his birth certificate) who only survived 5 months - he died in January 1881. So while Sarah Jane may have normally used the surname of her stepfather Mr Blakely, her birth surname is on one birth certificate and on her marriage certificate.
In 1884 another child was stillborn and named as James. Another child only survived 4 months - Isabella in 1886.