Author Topic: Carrick Hill Photos  (Read 13603 times)

haonghusa

Carrick Hill Photos
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »

For those looking photos of Old Lodge Road and Alton St

deirdre

Re: Carrick Hill Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

hi which photo is alton st?

haonghusa

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
Hi Deirdre, photo 1 is looking up Alton St from the Peter's Hill public baths towards the playground on the site of the old blitzed church. Photo 2 is looking down towards Peter's Hill. The side door of John McCleary's grocer's shop is just visible on the left hand side. Photo 3 is where Peter's Hill meets the start of the Old Lodge Road. Charlie McIlvenny's butcher's shop is at one corner of Alton St and Berkels Slicers at the other.

deirdre

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:16:20 AM »
Hi Deirdre, photo 1 is looking up Alton St from the Peter's Hill public baths towards the playground on the site of the old blitzed church. Photo 2 is looking down towards Peter's Hill. The side door of John McCleary's grocer's shop is just visible on the left hand side. Photo 3 is where Peter's Hill meets the start of the Old Lodge Road. Charlie McIlvenny's butcher's shop is at one corner of Alton St and Berkels Slicers at the other.
... thanks for posting them.I ask because my great grand parents lived at no.7 and my grand parents lived and had a shop 32 alton st way back 1922.....would be great if the corner shop was no 32...

boxer1949

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »

Brilliant photos haonghusa got anymore have to copie put them on my thread thank's for posting them

haonghusa

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
Hi Deirdre, posting photo of No 32 Alton St. Your grandparents must have owned it before my mother's people, the Torbitts of Wall St. It was run by Gerry Torbitt, a well known character from the Hill.

deirdre

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
omg really!...my grand parents where robert and mary brennan....cant wait! :) :)

boxer1949

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
Hi Deirdre, posting photo of No 32 Alton St. Your grandparents must have owned it before my mother's people, the Torbitts of Wall St. It was run by Gerry Torbitt, a well known character from the Hill.
The Torbitts shop was facing the Brennans shop at the other corner of Alton St Gerry Brennan own the shop when i was a kid in the 50s

deirdre

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
The Torbitts shop was facing the Brennans shop at the other corner of Alton St Gerry Brennan own the shop when i was a kid in the 50s

....my great granda Joe Brennan had a pork butcher shop in carrickhill ,his son Michael Brennan had a shop/ chip shop on the hill ,2nd son, my granda Robert Brennan had 32 Alton st in 1922(family moved to beechmount in early 30's)...the greats Joe & kity Brennan and family lived at no 40 alton st in 1901 and no 7 1924- 1933.

Grannylil

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
haongusa,
Thank you so much for posting the Carrick Hill photos. Do you own the originals? I have searched a long time to find any like these, especially the Old Lodge Road one.   Looking up the road, I recognize:  Alton Street, Upton Street, California Street, Arnon Street and Stanhope Street. My Grandparents' second-hand shop is just visible on the furthest block before the tall building(which was the pawnshop)-Stanhope Street/Old Lodge Road. 

haonghusa

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »
Hi Grannylil,

I have 10"x8" copies that I bought when at an exhibition of photos held at Trinity Community Centre many years ago. Some clever person photographed all the streets in the area before they were demolished and along with other photos donated by residents of Carrick Hill they were later reproduced in a publication called "Green Peas and Barley-O". I used to have my own copy but foolishly loaned it to someone and never saw it again.

Grannylil

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
haonghusa,
I also attended that exhibition. I hoped to be able to purchase some of the photos but was too late. (I was only told about it at the last minute.) I went, to a place in Lower Donegall Street which I think was called "Belfast Exposed", but the photos had been "boxed" and were unavailable.  I did get a copy of "Green Peas & Barley-0" but your 3 photos were not included. I also loaned my copy and never saw it again! However, when my Uncle passed away, I was given a copy, which I now treasure. Anyway, I  am very grateful to you for sharing your photos with me. [Once a Carrick Hill woman, always a Carrick Hill woman!] 

haonghusa

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
Hi Grannylil and what part of the Hill did you hail from? I was from Alton St but had relatives in Wall St, Unity St,Trinity St and Clifton St.

Grannylil

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Haonghusa!
I was born at 50 Wall Street and lived with my grandparents at 65 Old Lodge Road.  When they died, I then moved to 33 California Street to live with my Uncle & Aunt.

haonghusa

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:00:44 PM »
Grannylil,

Born in Tyrone St myself before moving to Alton St. Knew lots from your area - Largeys, McGreevys, Austins, Caseys, Flanagans. I vaguely remember an incident in which some child or children died in a housefire in California St resulting from a firework put through the letterbox. Does that ring a bell with you? Also clearly remember the derelict church in Wall St collapsing. By the way won't be around for a few weeks as I'm off to sunny France, I hope.

Cheers for now