Author Topic: Carrick Hill Photos  (Read 13596 times)

Grannylil

Re: Carrick Hill Photos
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
Haonghusa,
I lived opposite the Largeys in California St.  The child in the housefire was my chum, Phyliss Bailey from Arnon Street. The wall collapse was the remnants of the blitzed Trinity church, which was just opposite out house in Wall Street.  I was there when it happened and the little boy who died, was playing with me just seconds before being buried.  I got out with a slight head injury.  It's a day I will never forget. 
Hope you have a great time in France.

geordy

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:43:25 AM »
Great photos of the OLd Lodge and Carrick Hill .Do you have any of California St.Thats where I was born and reared.Thank you for doing this.Geordy Austin

sydenhambetty

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »
geordy, Did you know Willie John Largey? :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

jimchelsea

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
Hi guys
if you go on the link below Rushlight magazine have published an issue all about Carrick Hill
jim

http://oldbelfastdistricts.rushlightmagazine.com/carrick.html

geordy

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 11:36:32 PM »
I did know Willle John Largey in California St there were two Largey families next door to one another there.There were also several Willie Largeys.and I think a couple of Willie Johns. Wee Willie John worked at the docks his mother and father ran a wee shop on the corner of Park St and Arnon St He worked there as well.I think his das name was Henry.Slan

deirdre

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
I know this an old post...but a friend wants to  know what year Alton st was redeveloped?.. :)

Grannylil

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 11:06:43 PM »
Deirdre,

It would have been around 1961.  That was when we had to leave California Street, which was two streets up from Alton Street.

deirdre

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
Thanks grannylil...now all I need is a photo of Alton st today...can anyone save me a trip up to Belfast :)

St.Anthony

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Thanks grannylil...now all I need is a photo of Alton st today...can anyone save me a trip up to Belfast :)

Deirdre, I will endeavour to get one for you tomorrow. It is a cul-de-sac with 7 houses.

deirdre

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »
Thank's that would be great..it's for an ex Alton st man in England ..Bill Beggins

RosieG

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »
Deirdre, are you related to the Brennan's who lived at number 22 Alton Street. Bridget was the mother and her sons were Danny, Michael, Joe, plus two or three others. There was one daughter called Rose? I think they were someway related to the Brennan's who owned the chip shop. Bridget was a cousin of my grandfather.

deirdre

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 12:46:56 AM »
Bridget was married to my granda Roberts brother Bernard...my granda owned the shop on the corner of Alton St 1920s /1930s his brother Michael owned the chip shop..a family of shop keepers..granda then had a shop in Beechmount as did my uncle Bobby and Charlie..my dad had a shop in Cavendish St and Andersonstown :) thanks for names of Bridget and Barneys kids..I didn't know them...will add them to the tree.. I only knew
they had two wee babies that died Annie and Kitty.ps Bridget's maiden name was Flynn

deirdre

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Wee Kitty died age 2yrs 6mths  from shock following burns accidentally caused by upsetting a bowl of porridge over herself 9/sept/1919 at 22 Alton St  her mum Bridget told how she was attending to her new born child Annie in her cot ,young Kitty reached for the bowl of porridge..kitty was the eldest child of Bridget Flynn & Bernard Brennan...baby Annie  died age 3yrs at purdysburn fever hospital from childhood illness

RosieG

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:08 PM »
Thanks Deirdre for the info, I will pass it to Tony, Mickeys son who lives in New Zealand. The other son of Bridget was Barney who lived in England. Danny passed away just about two years ago. He and his wife Patsy lived in Philadelphia for years but moved back and lived in Glengormley. I knew Bridget's name was Flynn - my grandfathers mother was Flynn. So sad to read about the two little ones.

seosamh

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
was it not maggie baileys in arnon st you meant, haonghusa