Author Topic: Old graveyard at Carnmoney  (Read 8232 times)

ardgart

Old graveyard at Carnmoney
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
Took a walk around here today pity to see it in such a bad state

ardgart

Re: Old graveyard at Carnmoney
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »
Some more photos of same%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20[/img]

m.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
Is that on the other side of the big main graveyard?
Is it older?
Yes it is a pity to see it in that state.

m.

ardgart

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
Yes its round the corner entrance opposite church on the Church Road not sure thought it was the old Jewish but going by crosses etc think its a mixed graveyard

m.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
Thanks ardgart, I have been meaning to go there.
When I get round to it, I will bring my camera and take some photos of the head stones.
Some one could make use of the information.

Thanks, m.

ardgart

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
Yes to be honest though its in a pretty run down state its so quiet and peacefull bit muddy in places so good footwear would be advised

floral

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
The old graveyard is just at the top of my street. The boy scouts used to tidy it up but I have not seen anyone cleaning it for a long time. My neighbour goes to the wee church that is attached to it. I must ask her if there are still burials in it.

ardgart

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
Hi Floral
This is on opposite side of road to the church went round the church's  graveyard as well some old graves there Is the one opposite the church part of the church's parish its the one just before Larges tree surgery

ardgart

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
Thought this might be of interest
The Newtownabbey Branch has, after a number of years of dedicated       research, produced a new book entitled “The Hidden Graveyard”. This 144       page book records gravestone inscriptions from Graveyard No. 1 at       Carnmoney Parish Church, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim. This section of the       graveyard is across Church Road and ‘hidden’ down a lane. A form of       mapping for each section of the graveyard is included, making it easy to       locate a particular grave. Photographs, both black and white and colour       add further interest. The memorials span more than 100 years from the       1860s to the 1960s, and include mention of folk who died overseas. Also       recorded are Memorials inside the church, Commonwealth War Graves, and the       Garden of Remembrance. The book contains an index of all surnames       appearing on headstones and an index of place names mentioned. It has been       noticed that some inscriptions, read with some difficulty at the time of       recording, have now completely disappeared due to weathering.     

alocin66

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »
Hi ardgart,

I do have a copy of The Hidden Graveyard, so if you, or anyone else would like me to check a surname or two then feel free to pm me.  :)

floral

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
Hi Floral
This is on opposite side of road to the church went round the church's  graveyard as well some old graves there Is the one opposite the church part of the church's parish its the one just before Larges tree surgery

Thanks Ardgart for that

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
It's an old graveyard, but it's incumbent on us to respect it.

This might be worth a story in the likes of the Newtownabbey Times.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

bobdenn

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »

There are 546 names in Carnmoney Cemetery recorded here, including a WW1  Victoria Cross recipient:- Hugh Colvin VC who died in 1962.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2234369

m.

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »

There are 546 names in Carnmoney Cemetery recorded here, including a WW1  Victoria Cross recipient:- Hugh Colvin VC who died in 1962.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2234369

Thank you for that bobdenn.

m.

hcoid

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
Many a night I spent wandering through this old graveyard! Courtin', it was really scarey!!! william Jackson may be a relative of my uncle's wife nan jackson!