Author Topic: Old graveyard at Carnmoney  (Read 8235 times)

irish colleen

Re: Old graveyard at Carnmoney
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 03:48:24 AM »
Ardgart  just came on this thread  I think it is terrible that the cemetary is in such  repair, my grans parents are buried in the old part  McGill  and when I was last at that  place it was not in  this kind of state  my gran and grandad Scott are buried on the  newer side  thank you for posting these pictures  Irish Colleen
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 05:57:48 PM »
It is so sad to see those pictures, my Granny, grandad and aunts are buried there but I have been unable to find their graves and there is never anyone about to ask. Thank you for posting the pics.
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

pentio

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
It is so sad to see those pictures, my Granny, grandad and aunts are buried there but I have been unable to find their graves and there is never anyone about to ask. Thank you for posting the pics.

Patsy

If you are looking information on graves in the old Carnmoney cemetery, check with the Caretaker of the Church on the Church Road. His name is Harry, he lives in the bungalow next door to the Church opposite the Jewish cemetery. He is very helpful.

A couple of years ago I was able to find the grave of my great Uncle in the old part of the cemetery, there was no headstone but with Harry's help we found the grave. There is a book in the Church which has details of the burials dating back to 1900.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Pentio thank you so much, will check it out when weather improves.
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

belle

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
it such an awful thing when grave yards end up like this. so sad.

but, never the less your pictures are really good.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

sydenhambetty

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Some beautiful Memorials in that old cemetery. So sad. :(
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

irish colleen

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
thanks for the info Pentio my great grand parents are on the old side and my grandparents  are on the newer side  it was a beautiful cemetary   Irish Colleen
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

cazste

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
I would love to know if my sister is buried there. Her name was Alice Attwood( or Fee). She was 2 when she died. Also, any of my family named McTernaghan. Thankyou.

m.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
Thought this might be of interest
The Newtownabbey Branch has, after a number of years of dedicated       research, produced a new book entitled “The Hidden Graveyard”. This 144       page book records gravestone inscriptions from Graveyard No. 1 at       Carnmoney Parish Church, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim. This section of the       graveyard is across Church Road and ‘hidden’ down a lane. A form of       mapping for each section of the graveyard is included, making it easy to       locate a particular grave. Photographs, both black and white and colour       add further interest. The memorials span more than 100 years from the       1860s to the 1960s, and include mention of folk who died overseas. Also       recorded are Memorials inside the church, Commonwealth War Graves, and the       Garden of Remembrance. The book contains an index of all surnames       appearing on headstones and an index of place names mentioned. It has been       noticed that some inscriptions, read with some difficulty at the time of       recording, have now completely disappeared due to weathering.     

I now have that book ardgart and am willing to do look ups for any one with family buried there.
I have scanned the index of names and posted them here,

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,40251.0.html

m.

ardgart

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »
thank you m im sure the will be well received

wb54

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
hello pentio, would remember the number where you found your great uncle? iam trying to find my gg/f, thomas james ballance -mar 1908. was over in belfast in nov but could only get the record from harry. no headstone but in the book,grave is lot 3 row 1. in the hidden graveyard  the map goes a b c etc.trying to work out if lot 3 could be-c. i hope to get back next year and spent more time there. many thanks, regards william.

stewarterskine

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Hello everyone who is interested in this graveyard. We are looking for a grave there and are are having difficulty as there may not have been a headstone. I understand from Harry that one of the record books is missing. If anyone knows anything about where it might be, I think many people would be grateful as it will help to find some of the graves. It's hard enough even if you know roughly where to look. I tried when in the area a couple of years ago and couldn't find the right graves.

wb54

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
hello stewarterskine, welcome to the forum, you can find lots more about the old graveyard in the belfast genealogy board great work by the member`s who have started it up and great photo`s on this one. i also am trying to find an unmarked grave, the book harry has give`s lot 3/row 1 but no headstone. i hope some one remember`s the missing book, it just might be the answer we are looking for. would there be any undertakers near by, would they be able to help. waiting for the next message. regards william.

Zan de Man

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
That's an atmospheric place Ardgart.  What a shame that it's been vandalised.  It was fascinating to see the Jewish grave. 

My wife's uncle is buried there.  Her mother and aunts are in the "new" cemetery (not so new now).

greyghost

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
Wonderful photographs I love cemeteries. Particularly like the shot of the headstone with the mushrooms beside it.
*Not much room left in there.*

;) ;) :)
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com