Author Topic: Greennount street  (Read 1399 times)

dcarswell

Greennount street
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a birth certifiacte for some on who lived in Greenmount street in Belfast  but I cant find where that is. The birth cert is for someone born in 1872

Any idea where it is

Des

billy2005

Re: Greennount street
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a birth certifiacte for some on who lived in Greenmount street in Belfast  but I cant find where that is. The birth cert is for someone born in 1872

Any idea where it is
 according to Lennon Wylie North Queen Street to Glenrosa Street
Billy

Des

jimchelsea

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »
From Mary Lennons site 1918 street directory

. Lambe, Patk., spirit grocer
   3. Cairns, Robert, mechanic
   5. Watson, A., crane man
7, 9. McIntosh, W. R., carter
 11. Irvine, Jas., baker
 13. Beggs, James, joiner
 15. Wilson, Laird, rivetter
 17. McRoberts, Wm., helper
 19. Spence, Jas., store keeper
 21. Moore, Robt., engine driver
 23. Walsh, Thos., rivetter
 25. Robb. Thos., joiner
 27. Legg, Jos., fitter
 29. Johnston, Jas., rivetter
 31. Magee, Mary
 33. Beggs, R., salesman
 35. Gregg, Agnes
 37. McCartney, David, carter
 39. McCormick, James, clerk
 41. Wilson, John, builder
 43. Boyd, James, helper
 45. Johnston, Mrs.
 47. McAlister, Daniel, grocer
   4. McQuarrie, John, joiner
   6. Holmes, John
   8. Rea, James, joiner
 10. Bradford, Jane
 12. Donnelly, Peter, heckler
 14. Flack, John, hackle setter
 16. Bigger, John, plater
 18. Elliot, Matilda
 20. McAllister, Isabella
 22. Fowler, W., 2nd-lieut.
 24. Workman, Mrs.
 26. Creighton, D., litho. printer
 28. Trimble, J., shipwright
 30. Liggett, Lizzie
 32. Henry, Geo., railway guard
 34. Carroll, Philip, pensioner
 36. Lee, Thomas, joiner
 38. Forsythe, Jas., plumber
 40. Dobbin, Wm. J., R.I.C.
 42. Allen, Robt., carpenter
 44. McBride, Richd.
 46. Wilson, D., car man
 48. Wilson, John, carter
 50. McGarel, J., engine driver
 52. McCauley, Richard
 54. Scott, Saml., mechanic
 56. McCormick, Wm., carpenter

dcarswell

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
Thanks Jim and Billy,

the address on the Birth Cert is 105 Greenmount street so presumeably in 1872 the street was much bigger than it was in 1918. .. can anyone find it earlier than 1918. I have checked out earlier dates but I can't find it.

A little strange.

Des

jimchelsea

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
1870 street directory only has a Greenmount, but says see Carrickfergus Old Road.
what name are you looking for?
jim

Carrickfergus Old Road ran from Meadow st to Cavehill railway

dcarswell

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
Richard McEvoy a flax dresser in 1872 and probably in West Belfast. His wife was Mary Humphreys

jimchelsea

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
Have you found him on the 1901 census?

Greenmount st was in Duncairn (north belfast)

dendar

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
hi dcarswell
greenmount st which ran from n. queen st to glenrosa st, no longer exists. my grandparents house on glenrosa st looked down greenmount st.
regards
dendar

jeanette-belfast

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
Family Tree: I am looking for any information on Sophia Flack and John Bigger, Plater lived Greenmount Street.  I have very little information and no photos for these relatives.  I know there was a large family of flacks and William Flack (Sophia Flacks father) was a sailor.  Sophia Flack and John Bigger got married in 1906.  Their children include a Stanley, Clifford and Cyril Flack :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
Hi Jeanette,
Welcome to the Forum and with a bit of luck you will get some valuable and interesting replies.

Please see the below articles. You will notice in the Death Notices that John and Sophia had Daughters as well as sons but as yet I have not been able to find details on the girls... more digging needed.

Looks like you have some details on names and dates but iíll Include some just in case you do not have them.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1906/10141/5689833.pdf

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward__Belfast_Clifton_/Ship_Street/131926/

Twins Stanley & Clifford.  Stanley was the elder by 5 mins 😜

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01574/1634341.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1914/01414/1581129.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01701/1674625.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05454/4526230.pdf

Hope this sheds some light.  iíll Have a look again for the girls.  do you know any names?

jeanette-belfast

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
Hi, I am going to have a good read at the information you sent.  Thank you so much this information is fantastic ! and im sure will lead to other links.  I have been largely focused on John Bigger's, Plater father John Bigger from Co.Tyrone, his son Thomas Bigger which would have been John Bigger's Plater brother.   I have a marriage record for his father which took place in Scotland 1872, birth records for family members, census info etc.  They are connected to the a Benjamin Bigger in Ardboe, Co.Tyrone.  I am also familiar with the Rea family (Thomas Bigger's son married a Jane Agnes Rea) .  If anyone is interested I have set up a facebook page which contains copies of photographs dating back to their time.  Would love to see some new photos !! and explore this family further.  I have notice a Samuel Cairns and Sophie Flack cairns buried alongside Cyril Bigger, John's (Plater) son.  So many of the names duplicate so trying to separate them by trade !  While John (who married Sophie Flack in 1906) father is recorded on the census as being from Co.Tyrone, his wife Elizabeth Connor was from Scotland.  They married in 1872 in Scotland, had three children Maggie 1872, Thomas 1873 and Elizabeth 1876....John who married Sophie Flack was born at 60 Hartley Street.  I am familiar with Annie his sister, who married Robert McIlwaine then John Muse.  Maggie Bigger married John Millar and Thomas married Elizabeth Gertrude Hawthorne.  I have all these records.  A couple of his sibling died young (Elizabeth 16 years and an Annie as a baby).  Not sure whether John Bigger, Plater sister Susan lived??  I have information on Thomas's family...I was not aware Sophia and John had daughters, nor was I aware they ahd a son called Cyril until I stumbled across it recently !  Again thank you for this information, I look forward to reading through it  :)