Author Topic: McGraw, NY and other working class exiles  (Read 1659 times)

rosefairyone

McGraw, NY and other working class exiles
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »
I am originally from McGraw, NY, which is a booney irish settlement. I am trying to write a story on it.  It had pubs and was like a mini Ireland and they were looked down on my nearby Cortland people. Now, it is still a poor town but appears in 1900s many Irish went there over unionist type problems.  My grandfather moved there and basically would not say much in front of the women.  My father and his brothers were then driving coal trucks and did not say anything.  It is difficult for me to trace relatives since they appear to have refused to write them.  So, I think that I need to research McGraw who seems to have been their leader.
Hines   NY coal drivers, Molly Maguires researcher

rosefairyone

Re: McGraw, NY and other working class exiles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
I am originally from McGraw, NY, which is a booney irish settlement. I am trying to write a story on it.  It had pubs and was like a mini Ireland and they were looked down on my nearby Cortland people. Now, it is still a poor town but appears in 1900s many Irish went there over unionist type problems.  My grandfather moved there and basically would not say much in front of the women.  My father and his brothers were then driving coal trucks and did not say anything.  It is difficult for me to trace relatives since they appear to have refused to write them.  So, I think that I need to research McGraw who seems to have been their leader.

Also, with the coal connection, I am fairly sure they were in the secret order of the Molly Maquires near Binghamton NY and Penns.  I hope this is ancient history, please do not kick me off for admitting I think my dad and grandpa were Mollys. They never tell the women anything.

rosefairyone

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »
Also, with the coal connection, I am fairly sure they were in the secret order of the Molly Maquires near Binghamton NY and Penns.  I hope this is ancient history, please do not kick me off for admitting I think my dad and grandpa were Mollys. They never tell the women anything.

Oh yes, my dad did drive coal trucks and was in Lackawana, they say they had some molly troubles there.  If you look it up, it was right where my granddad and dad, uncles worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Maguires#Mollies_in_Ireland

jemmy hope

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:22:59 PM »
As the Mollies were active in the Pa. coalfields in the 1870's I doubt your father or grandfather were members.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

sammy toaster

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »
they might have been extras inthe film :)