Author Topic: Carnmoney Parish Church, the hidden graveyard.  (Read 64229 times)

kathy-9

Re: Carnmoney Parish Church, the hidden graveyard.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »
Wow m you sure get the info.  Is Carnmoney anywhere near Agoghill?  And I must find out who Ann McMaster was.  Thxx  again, Kathy :)

m.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
For you Kathy,

m.

kathy-9

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
Just noticed I got caps on lol.  Thx m these are going into file for McMasters.  I got loads of pics from Rathlin too of the trams, got a lot printed out, awesome.  I got sent a photo of Trinity Church in Ahoghill, there are many of the previous generations of McMasters,  married and buried there, that is, 1840 and back.  Church is still there today, isnt that amazing.

Ulster1922

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:08 PM »
Hello m. Thank you for checking. I guess they must be buried in the other cemetery. I remember when we would go on Sunday's, we would go to the one on the left side of Carmoney Rd. first where my mums family was buried, then go to the one on the right where my dads family were buried. I vaguely remember going to the old church after that but don't remember why.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to check....Billy Scott

Sorry Horace Morrison isn't mention on any of the headstones.

The only headstone with William Scott on it, is,

Whittley  Grey marble stone and surround.
Whittley
In loving memory of our parents. William, died 31st January 1944, Martha Scott, died 1st July 1946.
Also their sons, Thomas Scott, died 23rd January 1911, John Scott, died 31st October 1941,
Stewart, died 21st July 1970. James F.S Whittley, died 25th August 1977,
Mary Ann Whittley, died 17th October 1988.

Flower urn- Whittley

Hope this helps  Ulster1922

m.
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 07:27:57 PM »

many thanks for posting that little lot & the map

wataboutye

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »
m,
Is that a "Glass" on the list K, F, 10  and if so could you give me any headstone info?
Much appreciated.
Sure if I don't see you thru the week I'll see you thru the windie!

m.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »

many thanks for posting that little lot & the map

Your very welcome 17124. hope it was of some help.

m.

wataboutye

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »
Thanks m,
Great history book you have there, thanks for the info.
Wataboutye
Sure if I don't see you thru the week I'll see you thru the windie!

m.

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Eddies Extracts
         Belfast Telegraph - Saturday, 8 October 1928

CARNMONEY PARISH CHURCH.NEW MEMORIAL HALL.
DEDICATED BY THE BISHOP.
The Bishop of Down (Right Rev. C.T.P. Grierson, B.D.), in dedicating the new parochial hall in connection with Carnmoney Parish Church on Saturday, said the hall had been erected for a two-fold object -- firstly, as a memorial to the brave men from the parish who had laid down their lives in the Great War, and, secondly, as a parochial hall.
From their parish 140 men had served in the war and 23 of them had made the supreme sacrifice.  No parish machinery was complete without a parochial hall.  The church was learning more and more to try and take hold of their young people and to take hold of their social lives.  They would all gather together in that hall from their various homes and meet there in their church home.  The hall would be for recreation and instruction, and they could dedicate their recreation as well as their instruction to God.
It would be used for their Sunday school and Bible classes and various organisations for the young in connection with the parish.  It was a splendid work, and the parishioners had every right to be proud of what they had done.  They had great reason to congratulate themselves on the fact that the hall had been opened and dedicated free of debt.
HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS.
He (the Bishop) had carried out many dedications, and he did not recall once -- he might be wrong, but he could not remember -- in which the building had been open free of debt.  He congratulated them very heartily on that fact.  That result could not have been reached without the good leadership, well backed up, of Canon Clarke.  He congratulated Canon Clarke and also the men of the parish, who had saved a sum of about 500 by doing the digging preparatory to the foundations being laid in their spare time during the summer evenings.  Credit was also due to the curate, Rev. S.J. Leighton, who had raised the money for the electric installation, and they were also under a great debt to Mr. M'Kee, people's churchwarden, for his generosity.
There was a large attendance at the ceremony; the clergy present in addition to the bishop being Rev. Canon Clarke, M.A. (rector); Rev. S.J. Leighton (curate); Rev. Canon Scott; Rev. G. Hammond, B.A.; Rev. J.P. Freeman, M.A.; Rev. E.J. Haddick, M.A.; Rev. D. Warburton, M.A.; Rev P. Shirley, B.D.; Rev. R.H. White, M.A.; and Rev. Canon Hayes, M.A.  Messrs. William Armstrong and J. M'Kee, churchwardens, were also present on the platform.

Tea was served after the service by the ladies of the parish.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/btextracts/bt19281000.html

Mac57

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
Hello m, Would you check and see if there are any graves with the name  Acheson (Atcheson). The burials would be Sarah Ellen 1907, Mary Ann 1911 and John 1926.

Thanks Mac57

Mac57

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
Sorry m, the Mary Ann Acheson date should be 1909.
 Thanks  Mac57

win45

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »
could you check for a Abraham Craney died 1974 thank you so much

m.

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:07 AM »
Sorry m, the Mary Ann Acheson date should be 1909.
 Thanks  Mac57

Sorry Mac57, no Acheson in the book.

m.

Mac57

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
It's back to the drawing board although I'm running out of options as to where these graves are. 
Thank you very much for looking m.

m.

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

If you have dates Mac57,
headboatman might be able to help you with the main Carnmoney Cemetery.

m.