Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1381075 times)

Sammy

Sandy Row
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:52:25 AM »
I grew up in Sandy Row 40's / 60's I was a member of Blythe Street Boys Club  during the 50's.    We learned alot from our leader Dick MacKay, other wise known as the Big Man.

I was hoping that some one reading this remembers that time period and can relate some stories.    The Big Man new hypnotism and I remember a time he caught one of us smoking and he hypnotized him and when he came out of the trance he lit up and after the first puff it tasted awful and he spat it out, never knew if he smoked again.     Anyone out there has stories to tell about the Row it would be appreciated.     I Sammy live in Canada. 

Mageeka

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:58:10 AM »
hi Sammy
I believe there are some posts on Sandy row in the geneology site
Use the little search button on top of the forum page and type in Sandy Row and hit search
M

jemmy hope

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:12:46 AM »
I remember Dick McKay. He frequently stood in as a substitute teacher at Linfield. He was also a probation officer and a truant officer. I remember that some of the boys under his care in probation had worrisome things to say about him, I won't elaborate on this. Where do you live in Canada--I'm in BC.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Mageeka

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 04:23:10 AM »
Sammy I live in the USA in N.Carolina.   Used to live in New york
Got to go Sam
Will speak to you tomorrow
goodnight and God bless

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:29:35 AM »
I grew up in Sandy Row 40's / 60's I was a member of Blythe Street Boys Club  during the 50's.    We learned alot from our leader Dick MacKay, other wise known as the Big Man.

I was hoping that some one reading this remembers that time period and can relate some stories.    The Big Man new hypnotism and I remember a time he caught one of us smoking and he hypnotized him and when he came out of the trance he lit up and after the first puff it tasted awful and he spat it out, never knew if he smoked again.     Anyone out there has stories to tell about the Row it would be appreciated.     I Sammy live in Canada. 

Hi there Sammy. Welcome to the forum.

I'm writing a book about the South Belfast Volunteer in the Great War. Anything you may have - recollections, family members etc, would be greatly recieved.

Trying to preserve the memory of these brave men.

Lest We Forget....

Acheux.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

Sammy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »
I remember Dick McKay. He frequently stood in as a substitute teacher at Linfield. He was also a probation officer and a truant officer. I remember that some of the boys under his care in probation had worrisome things to say about him, I won't elaborate on this. Where do you live in Canada--I'm in BC.
I was aware of the above mentioned about Dick McKay, and went to Linfield.

I live in Burnaby BC with my Wife Cita.

arkie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
SAMMY, DID YOU KNOW WEE ADAM CASEMENT? HE WORKED WITH ME IN THE N I C. GROSVENOR RD.

Sammy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »
SAMMY, DID YOU KNOW WEE ADAM CASEMENT? HE WORKED WITH ME IN THE N I C. GROSVENOR RD.
Arkie can't say that I do, maybe if you had more information I may be able to help.       I left the row 1958.

sammy toaster

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:39 PM »
  remember gilpins ? they did everything from t.v,s. to new front doors.

Sammy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
Isure do, thats where my Mother bought a Phillips Radio back in the late 40's and I thought we must be rich.       I also remember Gilpins on fire and us kids trying to climb up on entry walls to get a better look, did you know Reid's shoe store is probably as large as gilpins was in size

ulsterstan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
Is the ''Duke'' of Windsor,s wee paper  shop still going .
Stan Sloan.

ali

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:17:03 AM »
my mum was also from sandy row  1 renfrew st       her 3 brothers also went to blythstreet boys club   andy(birdie)   jim and bobby wilson  does anyone remember them      alix
Family Names  Sloan, Wilson

udini

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:11:49 AM »
Anyone know Davey or Laurence Mulligan ? I don't think they lived on the Row but just off it on Donegal Road.I worked with both of them in Philips on York Street.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

jemmy hope

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »
I worked in the Jays store in Sandy Row for a couple of years.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

andy

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 09:48:41 PM »
my cousins the sewels George and Albert both were members of Blythe
street boys club,ask your uncles if they remember them,and the big man used to drink in the clock bar ,my father was the manager billy john
armstrong owned it then, my fathers name was bob Anderson.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me