Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1919602 times)

Arlene

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
Anyone remember the Moores. They had a fruit stall in Sandy Row ? I knew
Kathleen & Myrtle.
Be kind to one another because everyone is fighting some sort of battle

andy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
hi arlene, my mother served in billy moors we shop  they came from eureka street, but billy lived in utility street i went to school with his daughter ruby
she used to sing and tap dance. billy also had a horse and cart which he
sold fruit and veg from [hope they are same people we are talking about]
would you remember wee Gordy smith he sold fruit and veg during the
summer and coal brick in the winter he lived in Britannic street he was my uncle.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Arlene

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
Hi Andy I only knew Kathleen ( Kitty ) & Myrtle But many a time they talked about working on the brother's fruit stall. As far as I know there was another brother Ned & he was into trotting. When they got started about Sandy Row they had the tears running down my cheeks about all the characters from it. Sadly Kathleen passed away last year & Ned died a few years ago. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Arlene

ulsterstan

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 03:19:44 AM »
Hey Sammy we were up in Burnaby a couple of years ago   got a few friends up there    Whiterock, Langley,  Surrey    quite a lot of Ulster folf in that area.
Stan Sloan.

andy

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »
hi Arlene, we are talking about the same family,Ned was into the trotting,
he used to have a drink in the clock bar, my dad was the manager.
ruby would be same age as me 70, she had a good singing voice to,often
wondered where she is today,  what part of the donegall road/sandy row
do you come from, the old grey matter is not as good as it used to be.

inmylife

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 03:05:35 AM »
I knew the Moores too.My father in fact had his first job with Billy Moore with the cart(i think he was about 11!)He told me Billy taught him to drive!,I have a pic of Myrtle Moore with my mother.My father was Alex Melville and he used to work at the Market as a fruiterer.His mother was a Nellins.They lived in a street called Teutonic st,but I can't find anything about them.I know he used to live near Utility street but but by the time I was growing up my grandmother had moved away.Id be very happy if anyone remembered him.he had a brother Cecil who moved to America with his wife Mina

teap

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 08:22:48 AM »
Hi inmylife i see in the 1907 Street directory that there was a George Nellins his occupation was a pavior and he lived at number 2 Teutonic Street. maybe your grt granda?

colette

Arlene

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  inmylife  :) I knew Myrtle as well she was a nurse & a lovely person. My dad knew a George Nellins who was married to a woman called Annie,  but I don't know if it's the same family you're talkng about :-\

inmylife

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 03:47:32 PM »
Thank you both for replying .Yes it MUST have been my ggrandfather as their address WAS  2 Teutonic Road.I didn't know the name of my ggrandmother,but my grandparents were called Bina and Hugh Melville:It's really lovely of you to reply.I have a feeling they lived later around Hope ,Utility street but I don't know if those streets are close .Was there also a Beech St?I'm just remembering from long ago.No idea what a paviour was!I assume someone who lays pavements .I know my father's paternal grandfather was a hairdresser and wigmaker though.Best Wishes JoanMelville

andy

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 08:08:28 PM »
hi inmylife!, hope st, was off sandy row, utility st,was off donegall rd at
the library.Teutonic st if i remember right was off Blythe st, the nellins i
remember my mother talking about lived in utility st, but i don't know if its the same people. yours Andy

RabRow

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
There's a Joe Nellins. Jim Guiney. Then there was 'Poke' Cowan,who did a bit of boxing. Big Jim Pager one of the original 'Teds' ;)

Ernie Welsh and his two sisters who lived in Norwood St. Alan McClusky who lived in the same street. Then the Frames. 'Doubtsee' Mc Crum who sold fruit too and had a donkey.

There was Norman Mercer who sold fruit off a cart in City Street.

There's a couple of guys who are not living far from me. Both were originally from 'The Row'. Sammy Thompson and Bobby Magee. I know Sammy Thompson went to Blythefield School.  Both played for one of the local football teams.

I have a book about the Klondyke Bar,some photos in it. I'll stick some up,if you havent got the book.

andy

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »
 hi rabrow!, the Mccrums had a house shop in Matilda st, i remember
old Tommy, did the Mercers come from Utility st, and did big Jim Pager  come from Matilda st,
 i might be a little before your time i am talking around 1947/48. i attended
linfield secondary [which became Blythfield Primary] up till i left in session
1951/52, its just a lot of the names are familiar.
                keep in touch the old grey matter is not as good
                         as it used to be.    yours Andy.

RabRow

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »
hi rabrow!, the Mccrums had a house shop in Matilda st, i remember
old Tommy, did the Mercers come from Utility st, and did big Jim Pager  come from Matilda st,
 i might be a little before your time i am talking around 1947/48. i attended
linfield secondary [which became Blythfield Primary] up till i left in session
1951/52, its just a lot of the names are familiar.
                keep in touch the old grey matter is not as good
                         as it used to be.    yours Andy.

I believe your right in what you say. 'Doutsee' Mc Crum was from Matilda St and he had a shop I think. There were two sets of Mercers in 'The Row' no connection.  The other ones came from Boyne Square. I was under the impression the ones I knew came from Gaffikan St [could be wrong]. The last I knew of him Norman was living in Daphne St on the Donegalll Rd.

Aye Andy. Would say it is just a wee bit before my time.  I got talking to another fella on a site. He was from The Row,his name was Rob Halliday [if I remember right] he was from Euraka St. Hes livin in the States now. And he's a Glen Man. >:( :)

Anyway will keep in touch.  Cheers, Rab.

inmylife

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »
Thanks ,I think it must be the  same  Nellins .It seems to be a really uncommon name .Does anyone know where it originated .It doesn't sound Scottish to me ...more from the Irish maybe Thank you all for replies.I hear Belfast is AMAZING  now ,so maybe I'll have a weekend back(haven't been there since 1989) and do a spot of research at Proni

Arlene

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 08:47:31 AM »
You should treat yourself to a weekend  :) You'll see a lot of changes from 1989  ;) The city's looking great now  :D and hopefully get some info as well  :)