Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1972781 times)

scotland

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15255 on: November 15, 2018, 01:20:46 AM »
Jan  welcome  Bertie's fish and chips were lush he taught me the art of fish frying when I worked there to this day wherever I go  I still compare fish @chips to Bertie's standard also remember the Aghalee my uncle enjoyed his favourite tipple there Cheers M☺

scotland

« Reply #15256 on: November 15, 2018, 01:52:03 AM »
Hi Highway66 remember working in the Ulster Weaving Company for a while in the drawing in dept a lovely lady called Ina from Hunter St worked there for years I remember there was a framed letter from Buckingham Palace hanging in the office thanking them for the gift of linen hankerchiefs I often wonder who composed that letter it should have been handkerchiefs Wonder where it went Cheers M😀😀

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15257 on: November 15, 2018, 03:56:08 AM »
HI  HW66,  THAT IS A REALLY NICE PHOTO AND ALL THE MACHINERY,  MY SISTER  USE TO WORK FOR A WHILE IN THE A WEAVING PLACE, DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED BUT  IT HURT HER BACK SO SHE LEFT.    I IMAGINE THAT PLACE WAS NOISEY WITH ALL THE MACHINERY  RUNNING.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15258 on: November 15, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
Hi Sixtyniner,
you are correct, it was deafening when all the looms and machinery were in full swing. There was no such thing as the health and safety regulations that we have today. The weavers had a strange way of drawing the attention of their friends who worked in and around them. They made this very high pitched whooping sound that seemed to cut threw the thunderous roar of the looms and when they had the attention of the person that they wanted to communicate with there was a mixture of sign language and lip reading to relay their message. They would only leave their looms unattended in cases of emergency just incase a fault would developed in the cloth that they were weaving as that could lead to them being summonsed to the "cloth office" to be punished by a fine or wage cut.
Another thing to add to this lovely environment was that to keep the cloth and all the threads from drying out and becoming brittle there was a constant barrage of steam from a maze of overhead pipes throughout all the weaving shops. This made it a real "sweat shop" especially in the summer months.   

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15259 on: November 16, 2018, 04:59:15 AM »
Hi Sixtyniner,
you are correct, it was deafening when all the looms and machinery were in full swing. There was no such thing as the health and safety regulations that we have today. The weavers had a strange way of drawing the attention of their friends who worked in and around them. They made this very high pitched whooping sound that seemed to cut threw the thunderous roar of the looms and when they had the attention of the person that they wanted to communicate with there was a mixture of sign language and lip reading to relay their message. They would only leave their looms unattended in cases of emergency just incase a fault would developed in the cloth that they were weaving as that could lead to them being summonsed to the "cloth office" to be punished by a fine or wage cut.
Another thing to add to this lovely environment was that to keep the cloth and all the threads from drying out and becoming brittle there was a constant barrage of steam from a maze of overhead pipes throughout all the weaving shops. This made it a real "sweat shop" especially in the summer months.

HW66, I'M GLAD MY SISTER  QUIT WORKING  IN THERE BUT AGAIN I'M NOT SURE WHICH ONE SHE WORKED IN, UNLESS THAT WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE , I THINK THE ONE SHE WORKED IN WAS  DOWN THE DONNI OR  SR.  BUT GOD HELP THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED IN  THAT PLACE .  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

tomcollins

« Reply #15260 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
Does anyone know a Valerie Stewart , she lived in Sandy Row , 1964 , and worked in Gallagher's .

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15261 on: November 16, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
Does anyone know a Valerie Stewart , she lived in Sandy Row , 1964 , and worked in Gallagher's .

SORRY TOM  I WOULD NOT KNOW VALERIE STEWART BUT I HAD AN AUNT WHO WORKED IN GALLAGHERS, THAT WAS THE CIG. FACTORY?  SHE USE TO COME HOME SMELLING OF THEM.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

tomcollins

« Reply #15262 on: November 16, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »
SORRY TOM  I WOULD NOT KNOW VALERIE STEWART BUT I HAD AN AUNT WHO WORKED IN GALLAGHERS, THAT WAS THE CIG. FACTORY?  SHE USE TO COME HOME SMELLING OF THEM.  LIZ :-*

Thank You... There are always people whom you never forget..

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15263 on: November 17, 2018, 12:24:32 AM »
Thank You... There are always people whom you never forget..

SORRY I MEANT TO SAY GOOD LUCK AND HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

muckles

Re: Hi Val, the little wee woman you are talking about was my Granny, Minnie, s
« Reply #15264 on: November 18, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

Hi Jan:
I take you lived in Norwood St.  Did you know the Todds?
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

scotland

« Reply #15265 on: November 19, 2018, 12:33:32 AM »
Hi Muckles greetings from Scotland re your post I remember the Todd's  I lived  other side of the row Kenmare St but but knew the Todd's the Gourleys and others from across the row when I get my mind in gear more names will come back to me Cheers M ☺☺

scotland

« Reply #15266 on: November 19, 2018, 12:41:22 AM »
Hi Tom my father worked in Gallagher's then John Craig better known as Jacky he lived in Matilda St  I hope you find someone who can help with your quest Cheers M 

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15267 on: November 19, 2018, 01:00:38 AM »
I JUST LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE START COMING ON  TO TRY AND HELP SOMEONE,  WAY TO GO GUYS.  LIZ :-* :-*
sixtyniner

muckles

« Reply #15268 on: November 19, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
Hi Muckles greetings from Scotland re your post I remember the Todd's  I lived  other side of the row Kenmare St but but knew the Todd's the Gourleys and others from across the row when I get my mind in gear more names will come back to me Cheers M ☺☺

Hi Scotland

The Todds were my grandparents on my mothers side.
When did you live in Belfast?
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

scotland

« Reply #15269 on: November 28, 2018, 03:04:35 AM »
Hi Muckles I lived in Hurst St in 1962 bought a house in Kenmare St the following year and lived there until 1971 previous to then I lived in Matilda St  from about the mid 50,s went to the local schools then to Kelvin if memory serves me well the Todd family I remember had like myself blonde hair lovely faced little kiddies hope this helps you  Cheers M ☺☺