Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1959302 times)

tomcollins

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15360 on: June 03, 2019, 02:08:35 AM »
Hi TC we had greyhounds back in the 60,s a black and white dog called Inky Boy and a beautiful brindle bitch called Cloughreedy Lass like yourself we always thought of them as pets Are you a Pass boy if you are would you remember any of the Brackenridge's ,Berty Lismore Davie or Stuart Wilson ,the Hagan's to name a few Cheers M
I grew up Lake Street and Vernon Street , moved in 63 to Seymour Hill/ Conway , but my Father still kept his Greyhounds in Lake Street.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15361 on: June 06, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
does any one remember Billy McCann who managed the Achalee Bar he has a son wee Billy and a wife Lila?
hi JRAY,  I WENT WITH A BILLY McCann  MANY MOONS AGO AND I KNOW THERE MUST BE 100's  OF THEM.  WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF THIS IS THE SAME ONE.  WHAT A HOOT THAT WOULD BE.  AND I JUST GOT MY INTERNET BACK FROM LAST SUNDAY.  I COULD ONLY PLAY GAMES ON THE COMPUTER TILL THE GUY COMES OUT ON SATURDAY TO FIX IT. BUT THEN THE BLINKING LIGHT STARTED GOING AGAIN ON THEMODOM. I HOPE IT LASTS.   LIZ  XXX
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15362 on: June 11, 2019, 11:37:43 PM »
HI FRIENDS,  SEEMS LIKE   WE ARE ALL BUSY THESE DAYS,  SPRING IS HERE AND SUMMER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER AND WE'LL BE EVEN MORE BUSY WITH GARDEN WORK , GOING ON HOLIDAYS ETC.  I HOPE YOU  ARE ALL KEEPING WELL  AND FREE FROM PAIN.  OUR WEATHER IS NICE  BUT DAMP.  THAT MEANS LOTS OF RAIN  AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT ALL SUMMER,  AFTER OUR WINTER WE SHOULD BE HAVING NICE HOT DAYS HA.   IF YOU HAVE A SPARE MINUTE PLEASE DROP A LINE AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.  I MISS  KNOWING WHAT'S GOING ON IN PEOPLE'S LIVES.  YOU COULD SAY, AS SOME DO, I'M JUST NOSEY HA.  ANYWAY KEEP WELL.  LIZ XXX
sixtyniner

tomcollins

« Reply #15363 on: June 12, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
HI FRIENDS,  SEEMS LIKE   WE ARE ALL BUSY THESE DAYS,  SPRING IS HERE AND SUMMER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER AND WE'LL BE EVEN MORE BUSY WITH GARDEN WORK , GOING ON HOLIDAYS ETC.  I HOPE YOU  ARE ALL KEEPING WELL  AND FREE FROM PAIN.  OUR WEATHER IS NICE  BUT DAMP.  THAT MEANS LOTS OF RAIN  AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT ALL SUMMER,  AFTER OUR WINTER WE SHOULD BE HAVING NICE HOT DAYS HA.   IF YOU HAVE A SPARE MINUTE PLEASE DROP A LINE AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.  I MISS  KNOWING WHAT'S GOING ON IN PEOPLE'S LIVES.  YOU COULD SAY, AS SOME DO, I'M JUST NOSEY HA.  ANYWAY KEEP WELL.  LIZ XXX

At the moment I am busy chasing the Cockatoos away from my bird feeder which is intended for the Lorileets  We are in winter so it is cold nothing much is growing , wish we had the rain. Sadly we have water restrictions because of the drought. The rain that swept through South Australia of Victoria will not make it to New South Wales or Queensland.. So there ... You have a reply..My Blue Gum Trees (The Widow Makers) coming Down.. 
coming down[size=78%]

tomcollins

« Reply #15364 on: June 12, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »
At the moment I am busy chasing the Cockatoos away from my bird feeder which is intended for the Lorileets  We are in winter so it is cold nothing much is growing , wish we had the rain. Sadly we have water restrictions because of the drought. The rain that swept through South Australia of Victoria will not make it to New South Wales or Queensland.. So there ... You have a reply..My Blue Gum Trees (The Widow Makers) coming Down.. 
coming down[size=78%]
https://scontent.fsyd8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12622121_10207172207882328_6185957705530748399_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd8-1.fna&oh=2573b440e0084d67da8c4e2d2ac2ff38&oe=5D8BCAEF

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15365 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
coming down[size=78%]
HI TOM,  THANK YOU FOR POSTING AND CHASING COCKATOOS SOUNDS LOVELY. I KNOW THEY ARE A BIG BIRD FROM WATCHING SHOWS.  THEY PROBABLY WANT A FREE FEED. HA.   I'M TAKING IT YOU'RE  LIVING IN AUSSY LAND.   WE HAVE  A FEW ON HERE WHO LIVE THERE TOO. I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE NEWS, IT SEEMS ONE PART IS IN DROUGHT AND THE OTHER IS FLOODED.  I USE TO HAVE A "FRIEND" THERE AND HE DID NOT LIVE THAT FAR FROM  THE BIG FIRE YOU HAD SOME YEARS AGO.  HIS SON WAS A  VOLUNTEER  FIREMAN AND EVEN FOUGHT IN IT.  HE SAID HE AND HIS WIFE WENT TO SEE IT AFTER IT WAS OVER AND NEAR CRIED  BECAUSE OF ALL THE TREES ETC THAT HAD BEEN DESTROYED.   WISH I COULD SEND YOU SOME OF OUR RAIN TOM.  I HOPE YOU WILL COME  ON AGAIN AND LET US KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING.  TAKE CARE.  LIZ  XXX
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15366 on: June 12, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
An old watering hole from the past

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15367 on: June 12, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »
An old watering hole from the past

THANKS  FOR POSTING THE PHOTO HW 66. IT'S NICE TO SEE OLD PHOTOS.  I LOVE THEM ESPECIALLY OF PEOPLE.  I THINK OF WHO THEY WERE AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM, YOU KNOW STUFF LIKE THAT.  MAYBE SOME OF THEM ARE STILL ALIVE .  I WONDER IF ANYONE WHO SEES THIS PHOTO MIGHT HAVE TAKEN A PINT OR TWO IN THERE HA.  THEY MIGHT LET US KNOW.  LIZ  XXX
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15368 on: June 16, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »
Every Mother in Sandy Row shopped here in the 50s & 60s

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15369 on: June 16, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »
HW.66 IT LOOKS LIKE A SHOP I WOULD LOVE TO BROWSE IN, EVEN IF I NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING. I LOVED THE SMELL OF STORES LIKE THAT.  I BET THAT STORE IS LONG GONE.  THANKS FOR POSTING IT.   LIZ   XXX
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15370 on: June 16, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »
Hi Liz, you are correct most women (including my Mother)  went in there and hoked and poked through all kinds of garments for what seemed like ages to me, and yes there was always a distinctive smell in those kind of shops  :)

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15371 on: June 17, 2019, 12:42:09 AM »
Hi Liz, you are correct most women (including my Mother)  went in there and hoked and poked through all kinds of garments for what seemed like ages to me, and yes there was always a distinctive smell in those kind of shops  :)
YOU'RE RIGHT HW.66.  A BIT OF TOPIC, I LOVED OLD BOOK STORES, THE SMELL OF OLD BOOKS  AND  THE WEE STORES THAT SOLD SECOND HAND COMICS, I BET IF WE STILL HAD THEM THEY WOULD BE WORTH A FORTUNE TODAY HA.   LIZ  XXX
sixtyniner

scotland

« Reply #15372 on: June 17, 2019, 02:30:34 AM »
Hi TC you are having drought we are having downpours wish I could bottle our rain water and send it to you .Would it help your Blue Gum Trees ,excuse my ignorance  (not joking) I have,nt heard of them before can you enlighten me I love all plants ,trees and flowers Cheers 😊

Hi to all my lovely friends so far but so near think of you all and often wonder how you all are Take care and loving wishes are on there way to you M ☺☺

tomcollins

« Reply #15373 on: June 17, 2019, 03:49:22 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_saligna

Hi TC you are having drought we are having downpours wish I could bottle our rain water and send it to you .Would it help your Blue Gum Trees ,excuse my ignorance  (not joking) I have,nt heard of them before can you enlighten me I love all plants ,trees and flowers Cheers 😊

Hi to all my lovely friends so far but so near think of you all and often wonder how you all are Take care and loving wishes are on there way to you M ☺☺

tomcollins

« Reply #15374 on: June 17, 2019, 03:51:49 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/tree-removal/9429128