Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2036953 times)

scotland

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15480 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
To the folk from Sandy Row Best Wishes for 2020 Have a Happy and Peaceful New Year Cheers M😂😂

boops

« Reply #15481 on: January 02, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »

Ditto,M,
And the same to you !!
                                    B

MCC19133327

« Reply #15482 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:23 PM »
Hello, new to the page!

I'm after information regarding my Grandas family and where they used to live and who who we would be related to. He is called Jim McCabe and I believe that his Father used to own a chippy in and around Renfrew Street. If anyone has any info at all that would be great or could point me in the right direction.

MCC19133327

« Reply #15483 on: January 08, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
James James, I cant reply personally but my granda was born in the 30s.

James James

« Reply #15484 on: January 08, 2020, 09:41:27 PM »
James James, I cant reply personally but my granda was born in the 30s.

= enquiry reference timeframe =  starting point is birth of grandfather Jim McCabe in the 1930s

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4049.msg2185617.html#msg2185617

boops

« Reply #15485 on: January 10, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
the McCabes, chippie was at City st., corner with Renfrew st., as children we would buy battered potato scallops from it  on our way home from the Sandro Picture House,your grandfather would have been born about 1937/8.    I was in the same class as Jim at Linfield Intermediate during my first year at the 'big' School,I just remember him slightly, he seemed to be a cheerful boy always joking with the other boys.Its a pity some of the SR posters are no longer on the thread as there were a few who, I'm sure  would remember him better than I do, sorry I couldn't  be of any  more help 
                                                                                                                                                                     boops

Juls1973

« Reply #15486 on: January 21, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
My mums family grew up 1a city street in the 50s they lived above Thompsonís bakery Eleanor, Ann and Margaret Atcheson parents were lily and Sterling Atcheson. Would be great to see a photo of it if anyone knows where I could get this. Thank you

Rangerover

« Reply #15487 on: January 28, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi Juls,If you click on this link you will find a photo taken of the corner of City Street that you refer to
http://http://www.belfastarchiveproject.com/bill-kirk-sandy-row-1974/30gjf193rp51ekkmd2ba6t7mjgm1rr
Hope this helps

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15488 on: March 01, 2020, 03:24:41 AM »
HI GUYS,  I'VE NOT BEEN ON MY COMPUTER  AS OFTEN AS I USE TO BUT  I WAS SURPRISED  HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE  A POST HAS  GONE ON HERE, OVER A MONTH.   I HOPE  THAT IT'S BECAUSE  EVERYONE IS BUSY , IT WOULD BE SUCH  SHAME IF  THAT WAS IT FOR THIS  THREAD THAT'S BEEN GOING FOR SUCH A LONG TIME.  I KNOW  HOW MUCH  THIS THREAD MEANT TO MANY PEOPLE AND I WOULD LOVE FOR  THEM TO EVEN  POST NOW AND AGAIN  SO THAT IT  KEEPS GOING.    THERE MUST BE SOME NEW  NEWS ABOUT THE ROW  OR EVEN ABOUT SOMEONE FROM THE ROW THAT YOU COULD  POST.    RIGHT NOW WE ARE HAVING  VERY COLD WEATHER AND I HEARD FROM MY SISTER THAT YOU WERE HAVING SNOW,  I KNOW THAT MEANS   ON THE GROUND  AND THEN GONE HA.   WE ARE STILL IN WINTER  AND HAD A LOT THE OTHER DAY  BUT I GO BY THE TREES OUTSIDE  AND THE WIND   BLOWING IT  OF  HOW MUCH WE HAVE.  HA.    I THINK THE DAMP IS WORSE AND I HOPE ANY OF YOU THAT IT BOTHERS , ARE NOT IN TOO MUCH PAIN.    WELL  FRIENDS  I'LL LOVE AND LEAVE YA.   LIZ XXXX
sixtyniner

Hayley70

« Reply #15489 on: March 11, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
Mamie was my mums, great aunt

James James

« Reply #15490 on: March 11, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
TV DOCUMENTARY VIDEO

"SANDY ROW - THE VILLAGE WITHIN THE CITY"          https://youtu.be/Tam71y4MsBE

"NVTV - NORTHERN VISIONS TV BELFAST"

"SANDY ROW WAS ONCE A THRIVING COMMUNITY, BEST KNOWN AND LOVED FOR ITS VIBRANT SHOPS."

"AS LONG-TIME RESIDENT
... ANNA MCAVOY ... REMEMBERS, ..."

'YOU COULD HAVE GOT ANYTHING IN SANDY ROW.. PEOPLE CAME FROM FAR AND WIDE..'

"NOWADAYS THE AREA HAS BEEN LOSING MANY OF THESE SHOPS, WITH THE LONG-ESTABLISHED 'GILPINS' BEING THE LATEST TO CLOSE."

"RESIDENTS TALK ABOUT THEIR MEMORIES AND THE 'CRAIC' ON SATURDAY NIGHTS."

"HAVING LIVED IN SANDY ROW FOR 78 YEARS, ... DOROTHY ALLEN EXPLAINS HOW THE AREA CAME TO BE

KNOWN AS ... 'THE VILLAGE WITHIN THE CITY.' "

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15491 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:50 AM »
Mamie was my mums, great aunt
HI HAYLEY, WELCOME TO THE FORUM.  I GUESS THAT MUST MEAN SOMETHING  TO TELL US ABOUT MAMIE.  I HOPE THAT WHO EVER SEES IT WILL RESPOND.  RIGHT NOW WE ARE HAVING GREAT WEATHER , IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THE TEMPS ARE UP IN THE DOUBLE FIGURES. HA.  BUT FOR HOW LONG ?   NOT LONG TILL ST. PADDY'S DAY AND I GUESS THERE WON'T BE ANY PARADES NOW BECAUSE OF THE EMPIDEMIC.  WELL KEEP WELL EVERYONE AND STAY SAFE.  LIZ XXX
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15492 on: March 19, 2020, 01:30:48 AM »
HI EVERYONE,  I GUESS YOU'RE ALL SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THIS VIRUS, I AM.   I KNOW HOW SERIOUS IT IS BUT I'M OVER LOADED.  EVERYTHING IS CLOSING DOWN HERE.  SHOPS ARE STAYING OPEN,  THEY HAVE TOO.  I DO MY SHOPPING ONLINE AND MY FRIEND PICKS THEM UP FOR ME, DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITH OUT HER.  THE RESTERAUNTS (NOT SPELT RIGHT.)  CAN  DO PICK UP OR DELIVER BUT YOU CAN'T SIT IN THEM. EVERY WHERE IS CLOSING DOWN.  IT'S VERY BAD.  OUR WEATHER IS NOT TOO BAD , AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE SNOW AT THE MOMENT.  BUT WINTER IS NOT OVER HA.  AFTER MARCH BREAK THE SCHOOLS CLOSE  FOR AN EXTRA  2 WKS TO COPE WITH PEOPLE WHO HAD GONE ON HOLIDAY, BUT EVEN THEY WON'T STAY OPEN  MUCH LONGER.  ANYWAY I HOPE YOU ARE ALL  KEEPING WELL  AND STAYING SAFE.   LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU ALL.   LIZ XXXX
sixtyniner

john kennedy

« Reply #15493 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
I wish everyone well and to look after yourself with everything that is going on it is going to be hard for us all so let us all pray that everyone is safe and can come on to are form with good hart we need to speak to each other to brake the boredom of staying at home and not going out I believe there are a lot of story's that can be told about sandy row and the people who lived there so come on let us start now bring on your story's we old ones need it to stop the boredom and look to a happy future love to you all    John

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15494 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:36 AM »
I wish everyone well and to look after yourself with everything that is going on it is going to be hard for us all so let us all pray that everyone is safe and can come on to are form with good hart we need to speak to each other to brake the boredom of staying at home and not going out I believe there are a lot of story's that can be told about sandy row and the people who lived there so come on let us start now bring on your story's we old ones need it to stop the boredom and look to a happy future love to you all    John
JOHN  YOU TOOK THE VERY WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH HA.  IF EVERYONE  PLAYS  IT SAFE AND DOES WHAT  THEY SHOULD IT WILL  STOP.   I AGREE WITH THE  STORIES OF SANDY ROW.  SO COME ON PEOPLE AND  TELL US ANYTHING.  BUT MOST OF ALL,   KEEP WELL AND STAY SAFE.  LIZ XXXX
sixtyniner