Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2101901 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15555 on: October 24, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »
THANKS JOHN FOR YOUR KIND WORDS.   IT'S  BEEN VERY QUIET  ON HERE  AND SOMETIMES I FORGET ABOUT IT BUT I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS  WITH MY  EMAILS  THIS WHILE BACK,   I JUST CARRY ON  AND HOPE IT RIGHTS ITSELF.  HA.  I HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE KEEPING SAFE AND WELL.   IT'S ALL WE TALK ABOUT THESE DAYS AND IT GETS  TIRESOME.   WE CAN ONLY DO OUR BIT , KEEP ALL THE RULES ETC.   SO STAY SAFE AND KEEP WELL  TO ALL OUR FRIENDS  HOME AND ABROAD.   LIZ  :-* :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15556 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:09 PM »
HI EVERYONE , THIS IS JUST A SHORT  TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS KEEPING  WELL.  THINGS ARE NOT SO GOOD OVER HERE ,  PEOPLE ARE NOT KEEPING TO THE RULES AND MORE BREAK OUTS ARE OCCURING.  MY SISTER WAS TELLING ME THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING OVER THERE AND YOU ARE  IN LOCK DOWN AGAIN.  I THINK THOSE WHO DON'T KEEP TO THE RULES SHOULD BE MADE  PAY VERY DEAR  FOR THAT. >:D    THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING.   HUGS TO  YOU ALL.  PLEASE KEEP SAFE AND STAY WELL.  LIZ   :-* :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15557 on: November 12, 2020, 05:35:02 PM »
HI EVERYONE,  I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU ALL KEEPING  SAFE AND WELL.   MY LAST POST WAS RANTING OVER THE MORONS  NOT KEEPING THE RULES AND I COULD DO THE SAME WITH THIS ONE AS THE OUTBREAKS  ARE SO BAD.  THEY SHOWED  ON TV A PARTY WITH OVER A 100 PEOPLE  AT IT, A WEDDING WITH  I THINK IT WAS OVER 200.   AND THEY WONDER  HOW THE  OUTBREAKS  ARE GETTING HIGHER.   THAT'S ALL I WILL SAY AS PEOPLE  KNOW THIS AND ARE SICK LISTENING  TO IT ALL.   OUR WEATHER HAD BEEN BEAUTIFUL  ALL WK.  UP IN THE TEENS,  YES.  IT'S GOING LOWER AGAIN BUT HEY WE ARE IN NOV.  AND GETTING NEARER  TO THAT DAY . I REALLY HOPE  BY THIS TIME NEXT YR.  SP.  THINGS WILL BE SO MUCH DIFFERENT.   ANYWAY  PLEASE KEEP WELL AND STAY SAFE.   LIZ   :-* :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15558 on: November 30, 2020, 07:18:08 AM »
HI AGAIN EVERYONE, THINGS  SEEM TO BE VERY SLOW  THESE DAYS ON HERE, I HOPE  YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES ARE ALL KEEPING WELL.    HARD TO BELIEVE  CHRISTMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER .  THIS HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD YR.  AND I HOPE THE NEXT YR WILL BE MUCH BETTER.  I AM SO SORRY FOR ANYONE WHO HAS LOST  SOMEONE  FROM THIS VIRUS OR  THEY JUST PASSED AWAY FROM  ANOTHER CAUSE.   WE HAVE LOST SO MANY  FRIENDS ETC.  I LOST TWO OLD FRIENDS , HUSBAND AND WIFE  AND THEY DIED  WITHIN WKS OF EACH OTHER.   THEN  A YOUNG MAN , SON OF A FRIEND  DIED FROM CANCER AND LEFT A YOUNG WIFE AND  CHILDREN.   AGAIN IT'S  BEEN A BAD YR.  AND I HOPE YOU CAN COPE WITH ANYTHING THAT CAME YOUR WAY.    KEEP SAFE AND STAY WELL.  SENDING YOU  GOOD THOUGHTS AND HUGS .  LIZ   :-* :-*
sixtyniner

Eastsidespide

« Reply #15559 on: December 09, 2020, 11:58:39 PM »
the father of the young man i lifted over was a Sandy Row man Sammy Preshur his father and all the rest of the family used to visit family in Majestic St every Saturday, there were that many " Indians" we called the house the reservation i think about 18 family all in a wee kitchen house  
I know this is an old post and a long shot but Sammy Preshur Snr was my Great Grandfather, I recognise alot of the names associated with them from (his daughter) my Grandmother Brenda's stories. I only found my way to this forum today and haven't been able to come away from it. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing stories, I'm early 30s so never got to meet any of the Preshurs from Sandy Row but somehow feel closer to them hearing stories and seeing photos and knowing that their memories live on. Thank you again and if anyone wants to reach out or share anything more please feel free to ❤

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15560 on: December 10, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »
I know this is an old post and a long shot but Sammy Preshur Snr was my Great Grandfather, I recognise alot of the names associated with them from (his daughter) my Grandmother Brenda's stories. I only found my way to this forum today and haven't been able to come away from it. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing stories, I'm early 30s so never got to meet any of the Preshurs from Sandy Row but somehow feel closer to them hearing stories and seeing photos and knowing that their memories live on. Thank you again and if anyone wants to reach out or share anything more please feel free to ❤

H[size=78%]I  ESS, WELCOME TO  THE SR  FORUM,   IT USE TO BE A VERY BUSY ONE BUT THE LAST FEW YRS. HAVE BEEN SLOW SO IT'S GOOD TO HAVE A NEWBI HA.   I HOPE  THAT MANY OR EVEN SOME WILL REACH OUT AND  SHARE THEIR STORIES WITH YOU AND THAT MEANS US, UNLESS THEY GO PM.  ANYWAY  GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON BOARD.  LI[/size][size=78%]Z[/size] :-*
sixtyniner

boops

« Reply #15561 on: December 11, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »
Hi Liz ,Hope you are keeping well,I have not been on the forum for sometime but it is so good of you for keeping the thread going ,how right you are, this has not been a good year at all but hopefully, with the Lords help we will all  get through it and see better days ahead. .I have been passing my time watching old episodes of Coronation st.,starting  1960 until the present times and realized it is the same old stories recycled  over and over the years,  the old black and white more enjoyable and funnier  than the the later ones ,while watching all the old corries I never watched any of this years until the last couple of weeks and I didn't miss a thing it is the same story line I last watched at the beginning of the year !!!!but it passed the time anyway.God blesssx

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15562 on: December 14, 2020, 01:25:58 AM »
Hi Liz ,Hope you are keeping well,I have not been on the forum for sometime but it is so good of you for keeping the thread going ,how right you are, this has not been a good year at all but hopefully, with the Lords help we will all  get through it and see better days ahead. .I have been passing my time watching old episodes of Coronation st.,starting  1960 until the present times and realized it is the same old stories recycled  over and over the years,  the old black and white more enjoyable and funnier  than the the later ones ,while watching all the old corries I never watched any of this years until the last couple of weeks and I didn't miss a thing it is the same story line I last watched at the beginning of the year !!!!but it passed the time anyway.God blesssx
HI BOOPS IT'S SO GOOD TO  SEE YOU AGAIN.  I AGREE WITH ALL THAT YOU SAID AND  HOPEING THAT  THE NEXT  YR WILL BE BETTER.   I STOPPED WATCHING CORRIE FOR  A FEW YRS, I KNOW, BUT IT  GOT WHERE I COULD NOT BEAR  TO SEE YOUR MAN, PAT ANYMORE BUT THEN I GOT TOLD HE DIED SO I TRIED WATCHING IT AGAIN  BUT AGAIN IT WAS  MORE LIKE  AN AMERICAN SOAP OPERA.  AND SO ON, I'VE NOW BEEN WATCHING IT  FOR SOME TIME AGAIN,  I DO GO ON,  AND I ENJOYED THE OLD ONES BETTER.   THERE WAS A TIME A WHILE BACK THEY STARTED SHOWING  ONE OF THE OLD ONES AND IT WAS SO GOOD SEEING  THE OLD FACES.   DO YOU WATCH  "HEARTBEAT" HA.  OR NOW THEY  HAVE THE "ROYAL" ON AND THEY STARTED THAT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING AND  I LOVE IT.   SOMETIMES IT'S LIKE  HEARTBEAT, SO MANY  OF   THEM ARE IN THE ROYAL HA.  ANYWAY  I HOPE YOU  HAVE  A GOOD DAY  TOMORROW, I THINK YOU ARE  PROBABLY IN BED BY NOW.  IT'S GOING ON FOR  8:30 pm HERE.   SO KEEP WELL AND STAY SAFE.  LIZ   :-*
sixtyniner

Cids

« Reply #15563 on: December 19, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »

Hello I haven't been on here for - a very long time. :( 
I grew up in Renfrew Street, and the only chippy was on the corner of Renfrew Street and City Street on 'our' side of the road (not the Boyne Square side). I have a couple of digital street maps (if I can find the USB stick.) In my time (60s - 70s) it was closed down. I recognise the name McCabe. I was in the church choir in St Andrew's (Hope Street) with a boy called Josh McCabe. I think his Grandma lived in Wellwood Street but that could be jumbled memories.
I'll talk to my mum. She has a form of dementia and is in a home, but although she forgets recent things, on a good day she remembers so much from the past.
Later.
Carol :)

Hello, new to the page!

I'm after information regarding my Grandas family and where they used to live and who who we would be related to. He is called Jim McCabe and I believe that his Father used to own a chippy in and around Renfrew Street. If anyone has any info at all that would be great or could point me in the right direction.
Be the light.
Matt 5:16

Cids

« Reply #15564 on: December 19, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »

Hope these messages find you - just realised yours are dated from January 2020.
Hope this is helpful in some way.
C :)
This is from the 1960 Street directory the same entry is for both Renfrew St and City st.
57. McCabe, James, house repairer[/size]

Hello, new to the page!

I'm after information regarding my Grandas family and where they used to live and who who we would be related to. He is called Jim McCabe and I believe that his Father used to own a chippy in and around Renfrew Street. If anyone has any info at all that would be great or could point me in the right direction.
Be the light.
Matt 5:16

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15565 on: December 19, 2020, 09:59:56 PM »
Hope these messages find you - just realised yours are dated from January 2020.
Hope this is helpful in some way.
C :)
This is from the 1960 Street directory the same entry is for both Renfrew St and City st.
57. McCabe, James, house repairer[/size]
HI CIDS,   IT NEVER MATTERS HOW LONG  YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ON , IT'S NICE TO SEE YOU ON AGAIN AND  MAYBE  AGAIN  SOON.   I THINK ANY LITTLE BIT OF INFO.  YOU GIVE IS  ALWAYS  APPREACIATED  AS SOMEONE  WILL SEE IT AND PASS IT ON.   DEMENTIA  IS AN AWFUL THING AND SO  MANY MEMORIES  ARE LOST  WITH IT.   I'M SORRY WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I NEVER  THOUGHT OF WRITING DOWN ANYTHING MY GRANNY  TOLD ME.  BUT WHO THINKS OF STUFF LIKE THAT WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG.  MAYBE  ON THE GOOD DAYS  WHEN YOUR MOTHER'S MEMORY IS OK  YOU COULD JOT DOWN ANYTHING SHE TELLS YOU.   ANYWAY KEEP SAFE AND STAY WELL.  LIZ  :-*
sixtyniner

boops

« Reply #15566 on: December 21, 2020, 09:15:59 PM »
Hi Cids, As Liz says ,welcome ,when we were kids we always went to McCabes chippy for potato fritters,I can still taste them now!!,and Spears shop for sweets... did you know Nan Hanna from Renfrew st.,
she was in the Salvation Army, we went to Linfield School and worked together  in the Albion ,often wondered how she and other workmates are doing as we all seemed to lose touch when we got married and settled down to raise our families .

boops

« Reply #15567 on: December 21, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
Hi Liz ,Yes I love Heartbeat and the Royal   but I have started to watch ''When Calls The Heart''  and ''The Crown'' I feel guilty watching so many ''soaps'' but as I say it passes a bit of time ,Liz,how are you keeping ?I hope and pray that your leg pains have eased up ,take care and may God bless you.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Betty

scotland

« Reply #15568 on: December 24, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
To all the folk in Sandy Row Merry Christmas &A Happy New Year Cheers Mandy😁😁

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15569 on: December 25, 2020, 02:42:57 AM »
Hi Liz ,Yes I love Heartbeat and the Royal   but I have started to watch ''When Calls The Heart''  and ''The Crown'' I feel guilty watching so many ''soaps'' but as I say it passes a bit of time ,Liz,how are you keeping ?I hope and pray that your leg pains have eased up ,take care and may God bless you.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Betty
HI BOOPS,   BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I HAVE NOT WATCHED  EITHER OF THOSE SHOWS HA.  I'VE SO MANY  TAPED  TO WATCH SO I HAVE TO CHOOSE WHICH ONES  TO TAPE.   I HAVE MY SHOWS I WATCH EVERY WK.  RIGHT NOW   JUST BEFORE COMING ON HERE  I WAS WATCHING   THE "60 YR. ANNIVERSARY OF CORRIE"  I'M NEARLY FINISHED AND I JUST LOVED IT.  SEEING ALL THOSE OLD FACES.   THEY HAD THE  PRODUCER  FROM I THINK IT WAS 88 TO 94 ON AND INSIDE  2 MONTHS HE GOT RID OF 9   PEOPLE, HE SAID THE SHOW NEEDED  SOMETHING NEW,  WHAT A MORON.   BY THE WAY, NEVER FEEL GUILTY ABOUT WATCHING  "TOO MANY SOAPS", IF  YOU GET  PLEASURE  WATCHING THEM,  WHY WORRY ABOUT  WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.  I LOVE TV AND TELL ANYONE WHO CARES TO LISTEN HA.,   I TG I HAVE IT, I DON'T SLEEP MUCH SO  I WATCH TV.   WE HAVE SNOW RIGHT NOW, IT STARTED TODAY AND  WE'LL HAVE IT FOR  TOMORROW.   I HATE THE SNOW  AND ALTHOUGH I WAS A COOL PERSON  THIS LAST YR.  I NEEDED THE  HEAT, MY  JOINTS   BOTHER ME  WHERE THEY ARE  HURTING,  KNEES , SHOULDERS, ETC,  NAME IT AND IT HURTS  :D   I REALLY HOPE YOU  HAVE A GOOD DAY TOMORROW .  TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS.   STAY SAFE AND HUGS TO YOU.  LIZ   :-*
sixtyniner