Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2064669 times)

andy

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3435 on: January 15, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks Shazza.  .Val  :air_kiss:

HI VAL,     SHAZZA HAS A PHOTO BUCKET ADDRESS LOOK AT IT THERE IS A   
               PHOTO OF TRUFFELS AND I AM SURE YOUR NIECE IS IN THE
               PHOTO
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Addison

« Reply #3436 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
My wife who came from Bentham street knew Margaret Gillen very well, margaret became a nurse and the last she heard Margaret went to Australia some years ago.
Old age is always 15 years older than I am.

Val

« Reply #3437 on: January 16, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
Never ever knew there was an arch in Glenalpin St. of course that is long after I left Belfast.

This was the next street to Norwood St. where I grew up.

;)

Val

« Reply #3438 on: January 16, 2010, 01:01:23 AM »

HI VAL,     SHAZZA HAS A PHOTO BUCKET ADDRESS LOOK AT IT THERE IS A   
               PHOTO OF TRUFFELS AND I AM SURE YOUR NIECE IS IN THE
               PHOTO

Thanks Andy,

I saw them and she even posted pictures of my sister as a special surprise for my birthday, isn't she a sweetheart.

Val  :air_kiss:

Val

« Reply #3439 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
Shazza,

see, I told you people would have missed your site, now keep bringing it forward every now and again.

Love.  .Val  :air_kiss:

Shylock

« Reply #3440 on: January 16, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
Thanks Andy,

I saw them and she even posted pictures of my sister as a special surprise for my birthday, isn't she a sweetheart.

Val  :air_kiss:
Hi Val, I checked out the fotos from Shazza too, and thought they were just great! Truffels looks like a great wee shop - I'm definitely calling in when we visit Belfast later this yr! Thanks Shazza for sharing some great fotos... makes me wishing we were getting there even sooner than July!

wgs

« Reply #3441 on: January 16, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
Here's a link for the photos I took recently of Sandy Row.  I wrote a bit of information about Sandy Row, if I've got it wrong or you dont agree, let me know.

http://www.shazzakataya.com/photos/sandy-row-belfast/

Once you've had a look at it, click the link at the bottom of the page and it will take you to the photos on Photobucket.  If you're not familiar with photobucket, you can just click the red button at the top right of the page that says SLIDESHOW and just sit back and watch the photos.

If you want to see what other categories are on the website, click on BLOG at the top right.  Hope you find something of interest to you.
[/quote
Hi Shazza.Great pics,sad to see Murrays razed to the ground,but the so called planners did the same thing to the Sandy Row area.Apparently Murrays were a good employer,never worked there but i did play for their football team.
wgs

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3442 on: January 16, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
I found this picture.Corner of Rowland Street 1981.

RabRow

« Reply #3443 on: January 17, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Some good pics there of the old Row. I think Sandy Row's love affair with Orange Arches goes back to Annie Moore and maybe even before that. But whatever there were always plenty of arches for such a small area.

Val

« Reply #3444 on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
Morning everyone,

I hope you are all well, the photos have been terrific lately. Come on you guys start looking through your collection and put a few more on for us all to enjoy.

Thanks and Love. ...Val  :air_kiss:

ackerman

« Reply #3445 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Hi RawRow ... re Sandy Row arches: I remember well the men every July building the arch in Eureka Street ... then the music and O How They Danced and rejoiced and had a whale of a good time.   Those were the days.   Then there was the bonfire at the corner of Eureka Street/Tierney Street.   We worked for weeks getting material for the fire ... old furniture, tires, boxes, and trees from only the Lord know where.   Memories are made of this
Have a great day
Ackerman

RabRow

« Reply #3446 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
Hi RawRow ... re Sandy Row arches: I remember well the men every July building the arch in Eureka Street ... then the music and O How They Danced and rejoiced and had a whale of a good time.   Those were the days.   Then there was the bonfire at the corner of Eureka Street/Tierney Street.   We worked for weeks getting material for the fire ... old furniture, tires, boxes, and trees from only the Lord know where.   Memories are made of this
Have a great day
Ackerman

Some happy memories Ackerman,though our 'boneys' were built a bit further up the Donegall Rd and the Lissie. :smile:

Did you know of a fella from Eureka St called Black. I seem to recall a fella of that name from there. I'm talking about the late sixties.

RabRow

« Reply #3447 on: January 17, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
Morning everyone,

I hope you are all well, the photos have been terrific lately. Come on you guys start looking through your collection and put a few more on for us all to enjoy.

Thanks and Love. ...Val  :air_kiss:

Val I have some photos about the house somewhere which I took just as the Row was getting pulled asunder. If I can stir myself enough to hoak them out (havent a clue where they are) I'll post them up. I'm just thinking now they might be up in the glory hole.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3448 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »

Val I have some photos about the house somewhere which I took just as the Row was getting pulled asunder. If I can stir myself enough to hoak them out (havent a clue where they are) I'll post them up. I'm just thinking now they might be up in the glory hole.

I'd love to see these photos' Rab.I've done loads of searches on the web for photo's of old Sandy Row...but there's just a few.By any chance do you think you have any of Taylor st or Charles st south?

RabRow

« Reply #3449 on: January 17, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »

I'd love to see these photos' Rab.I've done loads of searches on the web for photo's of old Sandy Row...but there's just a few.By any chance do you think you have any of Taylor st or Charles st south?

I don't think so CS. I can just remember two of them. One of the Aghalee Bar with the windows boarded up just before it was knocked down,and one of Gaffikin St which was partly demolished at the time. I kept meaning to take photos earlier before all this was happening,but I left it a bit to late.