Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2076866 times)

ulsterdigger

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3525 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »

my brother centre master lol 32 i am on the
right st johns 702 our mate Dougie Paxton Easter Tuesday 1958  notice the blues scarf the junour lodges went to lurgan the blues played glenoven
ulsterdigger

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #3526 on: January 21, 2010, 01:25:31 AM »
I can not beleive this,
My Father and Sammy Lavery were Best Friends for years, We always got the first Christmas card every year from Sammy and even after my Dad died he still sent it and continued even when I moved my Mum out to Canada. And then sadly we got a letter from I think you Mum to tell us he had passed away. My Dad amd Sammy went all over playing the Lambag Drums, Whith the drum strapped to the top of our car. I will see if I have any of my Dad's old photos with Sammy in them and post them. My Dad was a founding member of the Lord Carson Drumming club, The club room was above the Paragon Shop on the Donegall Pass. I think its a good idea to move this over to the History/Sandy Row thread, as it was just by luck that I spoted this. I just remember they also belong to the the same Black Lodge, My dad was the Master and Sammy was the Chaplin so I am sure I will have photos.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

Kathleen2

« Reply #3527 on: January 21, 2010, 01:39:13 AM »
Irishdiva that's great to know and I'm sure Billy will be delighted to know this.

Billy do you remember when we were in Mr Heron's class in Blythefield school and his wife just had a baby the whole class put together and bought it a little blanket for it's pram ? I always remember Mr Heron was almost moved to tears by this. I think he was a wonderful teacher and I have never forgotten him.

Also remember when Miss Burns sister died and she went into a bit of a blue funk for a while, always standing at the classroom window looking up at the sky :(  Another good teacher though.

Remember Mr Bell in Kelvin ? He taught English. Everybody remembers Monty of course. Math was my worst subject :D   Mr Parker was headmaster when we were there wasn't he ?
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

ulsterdigger

« Reply #3528 on: January 21, 2010, 01:52:23 AM »

page 7  st aidans 1945        ulsterdigger

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #3529 on: January 21, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
Kathleen, I see that this has been moved to the History Topic, but can they not move the posts from this to the original Sandy Row Topic. ?? I don't know if the person that started the topic needs to ask Chris, do you know. Its a bit confusing having two Sandy Rows lol
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

dorothy frampton

« Reply #3530 on: January 21, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
Jacky Miller is my brother in law,his brother's are Billy ,davey and sister Margaret,Mother Viney,also Billy Morrisson,from Gay St is my brother in law,there are 9 of them,some in Melbourne,some still in Sandy Row,me i come from Rockview ST on the Donegall Rd,just off Frenchpark St live ,near Bournmouth  in The New Forest but go home many times was over last Nov.Been away over 40 yrs,still talk the same so i am told,never lost my broad accent,nor do i want 2 cos that is who i am,My maiden name is Thompson,love your pics x
Sometimes in our lives ,we all have pain ,we all have sorrows,so if your not strong ,we all need somebody to lean on.

Val

« Reply #3531 on: January 21, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
Val Eva was born Dec1942 I reckon she would be about 13 in this photo would make it about1955/6

Thanks Harry, she would have been 2 yrs ahead of me but I remember a lot of the faces.

Val  :smile:

RabRow

« Reply #3532 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
Hi RabRow   I knew Battler ... and knew Moss Peel well ... I used to stand at that corner with these guys at one time... as did my brothers: Davy, Tommy, Josey and Jimmy Gorman.   There were a lot of Murphey's around there ... don't know the one you mention;   There was Sammy Murphy: lived in Eureka St. then moved with his family to Teutonic St.     Then there was Danny, Jamsey, Billy, Henry Murphy in Matilda Street.   Then there was wee Spud Murphy in Scott St.     Any of them familiar?
Ackerman

Hi Ackerman. The Murphy I remember was a wee 'un about 5'4''- 5'6''. He had sorta ginger hair combed straight back. Thats my picture of him. His sister that I mentioned being married to Bobby Mark (from the Shankill) died a few years back. They owned and ran a hotel in Blackpool. Its still on the go and many people from Ulster go there for their holidays. Seen wee Dickie Best in it a couple of times. Bobby come over sometimes and goes to the Linfield matches. Hes usually along with another Row man who's name is Billy Robinson (i think). Billy does a wee bit of singing at the sing-song in the clubs/bars. I don't know if you know an Alec Kerr,but hes usually along with Billy.

There was another man I remember from around the Clock he was known as 'Snow'.

ackerman

« Reply #3533 on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
Hi RabRow
- "Snow Fox."    ... knew that wee Spud Murphy ...   I knew a lot of Robinson's around there ... can't recall Billy.   ... last Windsor Park  match I was at was Boxing Day 1948 ... Jan 1949 I was off to the army.   But will never foget that match Linfield vs Celtic ... with a RUC baton charge to clear the field and crack a few thick skulls .  'nuf said.
Ackerman

RabRow

« Reply #3534 on: January 21, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
Hi RabRow
- "Snow Fox."    ... knew that wee Spud Murphy ...   I knew a lot of Robinson's around there ... can't recall Billy.   ... last Windsor Park  match I was at was Boxing Day 1948 ... Jan 1949 I was off to the army.   But will never foget that match Linfield vs Celtic ... with a RUC baton charge to clear the field and crack a few thick skulls .  'nuf said.
Ackerman

Snow Fox, and Spud. Ah your 'on the ball 'Ackerman and have a good memory. :smile:   Can't remember the Boxing Day match,but I remember when N.I. played Italy in what was supposed to be a World Cup match,but was played as a 'friendly' instead and ended in uproar with the fans invading the pitch and the police baton charging them. The Italian team must have thought it was a kick-boxing match, and not football they were playing in. :smile:

ulsterdigger

« Reply #3535 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
hi Dorothy frampton  new the millers/Morrison's well  went to school with billy miller  remember Davey /Jacky were on royal marines  the millers  hi are they all going    ulsterdigger

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3536 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »
 :hi: "Irish Diva"! You can't believe it? I'm rubbing my eyes in disbelief at the responses! Have started a hoke for a particular photo and am now wondering if any of the characters in it could have been your own father.From memory and as they say,"in no particular order" believe those to be,(apart from my granda) Billy Morrow, "Fletcher",Jack Duffy and Tommy Gillespie...and of course "Moi"!
It is small wonder I am half corned beef as I was present on many occasions above The Paragon Stores when many's a drum was "blattered" and was taught how to tidy up and plait the last piece of rope after new drum heads were fitted and the buffs "pulled up".I have no idea who owned the motor but remember being shoe horned into the back of the well over loaded car and off to a drumming match away in the back of beyond!
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

ulsterdigger

« Reply #3537 on: January 21, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
hi rabrow      i was at that game  with Italy became a friendly as the ref could get to Belfast because of fog 

ulsterdigger

dorothy frampton

« Reply #3538 on: January 21, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
they r all doin good,my bro was out in Aiden with Jacky when they were in the Marines 2 gether,sadly my sister died 3 years ago,i still keep in touch with Jacky,Margaret Miller is in Canada,Davey in Plymouth,and Billy is still in Belfast.All the Morrissons r alive bar Sonny ,i seen derek,pat and Kathleen when i was over 2 yrs ago in OX,they were over the same time as me.Forgot 2 say Belle died a few years ago,Jim morrisson is still in Sandy RowJacky's son runs the Rangers,and Jacky is secretary in the Naval Club.Do you know Davey an Emma Nellins ??
Sometimes in our lives ,we all have pain ,we all have sorrows,so if your not strong ,we all need somebody to lean on.

maureenr25

« Reply #3539 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Kathleen, Are these the Millers you were thinking of?  When we realized there must have been 2 Millers in Sandy Row at the same time and not my Aunt May Miller.