Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1381074 times)

carbolicsoap

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3825 on: February 04, 2010, 11:44:29 PM »
McAdam street.1955.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #3826 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »

Bruce Wayne

« Reply #3827 on: February 04, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
Thanks a million carbolicsoap. I recognise some of those names but my mother should know them all!  :clapping:
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #3828 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:09 AM »
once again, not sure if this has been posted before,

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3829 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
 :hi: "Carbolic soap"
That's pure class.THANK YOU for the effort.I had to nip out earlier,hence the belated reply.This Forum is better than that Sudoku!
Mental gymnastics made easy!!Right away I spotted a couple of errors made by myself.Number 56 was of course my chum's house,The McCullough's and where I was sat for my "Pennywhistle" pic.With regards Nos.38 & 52,I have gone through life thinking it was "Currie".
In your kind directory post,I am reminded that my maternal Granny Lavery (nee Gallagher) had a brother and sister residing in No.s 22 & 39 and finally,relatives wise,my uncle Ernie Rutherford from No.44.They must have "slipped the key" to my cousins.The Blackledges,after they moved to 43?  City Street,2 doors or so from Joey Spiers' shop.

The characters listed on those pages are worthy of a wee documentary.I will single out one man at this point for a wee pen portriat and that is  No.78.."Johnny Smith".On the bright evenings he would , like many others,stand at the front door and simply watch the world go by.He seemed to have a smile and a nod for every passerby.

I remember asking my granda Lavery why all the wee mongrel dogs had short tails, "docked" , as they say nowadays.He explained that the owners had had them "removed".He went on to inform me that for a "3d bit",you could once have gone to Johnny Smith and indicate where you wanted the wee dog's tail to end.Once Johnny had located the relevant joint,he simply BIT OFF THE BIT THAT WAS NOT REQUIRED!!
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

ulsterdigger

« Reply #3830 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:20 AM »
hi ulstercanadian
 your map st George ward was it pre ww2 i noticed MC gahan st first street of linfield rd was not there when i grew up in beggs st in late forty's and fifties remember Murry's wall  also the air raid shelters been taken down in  in beggs st early fifties

ulsterdigger

Rangerover

« Reply #3831 on: February 05, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »
Hello Pauline,

I'm sorry I don't recall the name of that shop that you mention.
But I'm sure that you looked great in your Bay City Roller clothes  :smile:

Rangerover can you remember the name of the clothes shop in Hope St next door to the chip shop. I remember going in the 1970,s to get my Bay City Rollers clothes.

Rangerover

« Reply #3832 on: February 05, 2010, 08:03:10 AM »
Hello Pennywhistle,

Thanks again for yet another super photo, in the past it had seemed to me that Hope Street was the forgotten area of Sandy row ... but thanks to those great photos that has all changed.

In the photo you will see Donaldson & Lyttles on the corner on Hope Street, later they moved across the road and took over what used to be Clealands the printers and box makers.

I recall some people from Sandy Row working in Clealands, such a Mr Burns from Clementine Street, he lived opposite Blakely Street ... next door to the Martins.

I also recall Billy Leckey from Glenalpin Street and Harry Cardwell from Hunter Street (or Matilda Street ?) working there also.

One thing that has puzzeled me for years is this .... just inside the building at the goods entrance there was some sort of machine that was full of large glass marbles.

The top of this machine was roughly the size of a snooker table, and on top of this table were thousands of glass marbles being gently shaken, the glass marbles were coated in some sort of powder, I have often wondered what the purpose of this machine was.

When we were kids we used to sneak in and nick a couple of these glass marbles so that we could play "marleys" with them  :D

Mr Burns seemed to run this machine and if he saw us nicking these marbles he would chase after us.
But as we were as thin and as fast as a greyhound he had no chance of ever catching us ... how times change =))

BTW... isn't it amazing just how little traffic appears in this great photo.
So I'm wondering if it was taken on a typical "Belfast Sunday" when nothing was open, and I mean nothing.
And next door to Donaldson & Lyttles you can just about see a little portion of the Canterbury Bar.

PS... Thanks to all for the warm welcome... it is greatly appreciated

:hi: Hiya" Kathleen2"
Well remember "Daddy Duff" and so do lots of the "Row Posters" I see!!
 Have uploaded a wee pic.gleaned from "Flickr" and courtesy  of "Normko".Wish I had collected photos instead of stamps.Welcome to "Rangerover" by the way! :hi:

The image was captured in May 1972 and will add that wee bit more to the Hope Street angle.

When "Daddy Duff" either died,or retired,my Mum went along to Spence's Auction Rooms  in Gt.Victoria Street and returned home with items which could be described as "bric-a- brac".My da took an contrary view.A day ot two later,these men came to our house in a big van,and delivered the organ from "Daddy Duff's wee church hall,my ma having been the only bidder.

Within a short time,the house was " heavin' " with wee mice scootin' about the floor.A search,by my Da,revealed a nest of mice in the back of the organ!

I have been neglecting you of late,but it's your own fault!!  ;)  Addictive or what this Forum!!
I have given my brood until the weekend to select a photo of their choice and will get the E-mail off to you.

Take care.

Billy.

Rangerover

« Reply #3833 on: February 05, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Hello Carbolic,

Nowadays my memory is like a sieve ..full of holes  :smile:

I don't recall seeing "three bears from the beano eating a fish supper?" ... the mind boggles lollll

I'm afraid that I don't have any old photos of my area, this is something that I deeply regret.
But thanks to the super photos featuring the Hope Street/Charles Street South area that have recently appeared on the forum this has gone a long way to curing my deep frustration.

Hi,Rangerover.
Great first post,you've got a good memory.
I've just looked at an old map that is posted on this thread....it seems you are correct.The building is listed as a school.
The chippy you mention 'The Victoria'...did that have a huge mural on the side of it that was the three bears from the beano eating a fish supper?(sometime in the late 70's?)I know that might sound bizarre,but I'am sure I remember that!
If you've any old photo's...post them up. :smile:

ulsterdigger

« Reply #3834 on: February 05, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
hi pennywhistle/ rangerover
great photo of clealands my first job after leaving school was there remember burnsey well he was foreman in the store his son harry was a printer harry was married to one of the Burke's from linfield rd his brother inlaw john Burke worked there 
harry cardwell was the van driver they had a  battery operated van ithink was a first of its type 
remember that machine but have a senors moment trying to remember what it was used for thanks again for the memories

ulsterdigger

flashman

« Reply #3835 on: February 05, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
re.VICTORIA SUPPER SALOON
I remember a lovely old couple who I believe were the owners in the late 50's / early 60's - Mr & Mrs Howard (I believe).   I lived in Taughmonagh at that time and was sent by bus to get fish'n chips there, because they were so much better than any in the Finaghy area.    The bus conductors came to know me as "Big Chip!"

dorothy frampton

« Reply #3836 on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
i loved fish n chips n pasties from Hope St,every1 went on Saturdays 4 a sit down,happy days x
Sometimes in our lives ,we all have pain ,we all have sorrows,so if your not strong ,we all need somebody to lean on.

josey

« Reply #3837 on: February 05, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
Thats the chippy my granny used to work when I was a kid. We had a look to see if the boss was working and if he wasn't my granny gave us a free pastie or portion of sausages  :smile:

dorothy frampton

« Reply #3838 on: February 05, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
you were luck havin free pasty an chips,i love pasties an i love potato pasties,we used 2 buy the crunchy bits of the batter yummy
Sometimes in our lives ,we all have pain ,we all have sorrows,so if your not strong ,we all need somebody to lean on.

dorothy frampton

« Reply #3839 on: February 05, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
you are right it was the knife and fork ,my brother in law ,Jacky Miller and his Uncle Davy Lavery worked in the Achalee,and the Klondike,also we had many a good time in The Blubell,STOP THE CLOCK AND TAKE ME BACK 2 THEN X