Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1381074 times)

RabRow

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3885 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
Last one for the moment.....I think this may have been taken in the early 70's? from the Boyne Bridge.

CS Just seeing that photo reminded me of one that was in the News Letter. It covered almost the entire front page with just a few lines at the bottom (about six deep). This was just at the start of the troubles and I think the headline read 'Over The Bridge'. It appeared to be taken from Durham St or the Grosvenor Rd maybe.

It showed the army lined across the bottom of the bridge,behind a barb wire barricade on the trestles. Coming down the bridge was a crowd of a hundred/hundreds strong.

It was a class photo taking up the whole front page almost. Bear in mind too,that the News Letter then was a broadsheet.

My only reget is that I didn't get the hold of it. Maybe I did and lost or misled it. I went to the News Letter offices to see if I could get it,but had no luck.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3886 on: February 07, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »

CS Just seeing that photo reminded me of one that was in the News Letter. It covered almost the entire front page with just a few lines at the bottom (about six deep). This was just at the start of the troubles and I think the headline read 'Over The Bridge'. It appeared to be taken from Durham St or the Grosvenor Rd maybe.

It showed the army lined across the bottom of the bridge,behind a barb wire barricade on the trestles. Coming down the bridge was a crowd of a hundred/hundreds strong.

It was a class photo taking up the whole front page almost. Bear in mind too,that the News Letter then was a broadsheet.

My only reget is that I didn't get the hold of it. Maybe I did and lost or misled it. I went to the News Letter offices to see if I could get it,but had no luck.

:hi: "Rabrow",

I was a "Telegram Boy" in the G.P.O. and was out on my wee red BSA Bantam motor bike delivering "Money orders"They were like an early "Giro" and had been sent  from folk working abroad and could be cashed by their relatives.

I remember coming upon (perhaps that very scene) and arrived behind the army lines.I was shocked that the soldiers were in ranks behind the coils of barbed wire,with bayonets fixed and glaring up the "Row".

Delivering telegrams took me all over the City.Perhaps the nature of what I was delivering,ensured I was never prevented in entering the "No Go" areas that all too soon mushroomed in the many districts.

I saw the impact of the conflict on the other side of the community when,after a very violent episode, the management of the Post Office,sent us out in pairs.

I went with another lad and rode "West" and found myself in a home that was just about newly built,on the Suffolk Road and there were perhaps four families "squatting" in the property,the folk having lost their homes in the conflict.

I have no "agenda" to persue,merely looking back to a black period.

The only time prior to "Double-riders" being dispatched was during a very heavy snowfall.The Telegram Boys were dropping like skittles,I myself having fallen off the Bantam three times on the same day,in the same street,Barnetts's Road in the east side of the town.

For safety reasons they"paired" us and my team mate and I had great fun riding over virgin snow on playing fields,somewhere up the Glen Road.They (claimed ) to have sent a search party out to look for us and we just pleaded ignorance during the interrogation! The snow must have been real bad,as during our "Road trip" the Corporation had even taken the red buses off  the roads and we watched the garage staff fitting snow chains to the P.O. vehicles.

No talk of "Global Warming" in those days!
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

RabRow

« Reply #3887 on: February 07, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
Yeah they were wild days PW. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time was all that was needed in some instances.

That sounds like the same occasion I was talking about. It was some photo so it was ,and I wish I had followed it up,maybe as mentioned I lost it. I went down to the News Letter, there had been a fire in their Donegall Street premises and they told me they had lost a lot of stuff in it,including that photo.

Pity you hadn't a camera with you PW. :smile:  But suppose with battling against snowstorms and the rest,you'd more than enough to contend with. :smile:

I knew a few fellas who worked in the P.O. I remember going to a Linfield away match with one of them. I was never as glad to get off a motor bike in my life. Boy,did he take some chances. :swoon: :smile:

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3888 on: February 07, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »
 :hi: "RabRow"!

I mentioned earlier that I had collected stamps :haha:  and to tell the truth was nearly always skint and  only took a few snaps when I was sure I had the "readies" to get them developed.A halfcrown didn't go far and my da,being a soldier,made us come to attention,salute,recieve our pay and do "an about turn".

It is of course a great pity that the only camera available to me was my granda's wee Kodak Brownie 127 and great care had to be taken when it was loaned out to us.

The "Troubles", to my mind,were a great shame and I suppose,from my personal perspective,marked the end of my own "Golden Age". I have often reflected on the sheer waste of it all and it is no wonder so may folk left the "oul sod".
My sympathy lies with the two generations that lived  just before my own.
For my Grandfather,there was near total poverty,the Second Boer War,WW1, the "Riots" (Sammy Lavery referred to  them as the  ROY-ITS) and of course WW2.
There was'nt much peace around for them.

My  Granda,reflected on being nabbed by a Peeler,in Carrickfergus, as a bare foot
nipper at about 9 years old (1906).He was a "Hawker" for "Chuck Curry" ,another Hunter Street early resident,from the " tight end" and with a horse and cart, sold fruit and veg. from Belfast to as far away as Coleraine.They were replenished along the way with new produce sent to them by train.It is a shame I didn't record on tape,the stories that died with him.

RabRow

« Reply #3889 on: February 07, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
Pennywhistle.They certainly were hard times,and yet so many people still seem to come though them with a bit of a smile on their face. Of course I'm not talking about those who may have lost loved ones.

I think the people in the 'olden days' were a hardier breed than what we have now. We have grown soft, with 'having all our orders' nowdays. I hear people complain about the 12th being too long,but yet in the 'old days' they walked it with heavier material suits,starch collars with studs, heavier and bigger banners. Thats just one instance. But overall we have become used to central heating,fridges,washing machines,cars etc and would be 'lost' without them.

I'm not saying they weren't hard times and coming though two world wars was no picnic,but I think the people then had a sense of pride and determination,even though they had very little materially.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3890 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »
 :smile: "RabRow"

In our house,it was either a feast or a famine.We listened to the wireless,a wee balekite "EKCO". We had no T.V., but were invited to come into the home of Mr. & Mrs.Nicholson,No.40 Hunter Street.When children's hour came on the "box",the wee woman threw her doors open and the room was "bunged to the gills" with wee kids.Those that couldn't get a seat or find a space on the floor,stood in the hall or looked through the front window.We must have been getting on our feet,as on day the man from "The Telefusion" came and plonked our first set in the corner of the front room.A trip to the auction saw a single tub washer,complete with its own fitted mangle and served us well ,right up to our flit to Finaghy.I has to be said that we never missed a meal.

The famine times ended when my da got his "gratuity" when he left the army and
(perhaps foolishly) swelled my ma's purse even further when he "sold off" part of the Army Pension.

Remembering that ours was a rented house and already "condemned" she went a bit "cash happy" and  got a firm in from Hope Street,and fitted new "French windows" ,new doors and replaced the old grate with a "swanky" new Devon model.

We were having our breakfast one morning and the ceiling fell down in the back room beside the scullery!!

"Fools and their money"....I'll leave you to complete the last words!

Val

« Reply #3891 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Great stories guys........... ;)

Rangerover

« Reply #3892 on: February 07, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
Hi PW,

When you refered to your ceiling falling it reminded me of the time that the ceiling fell into the Jubilee chip shop at the corner of McAdam street.

I think it was a bookies shop above and it was on a saturday, so the weight became too much..... and bingo you had cement mixed with your fish super LOLLLL

:smile: "RabRow"

In our house,it was either a feast or a famine.We listened to the wireless,a wee balekite "EKCO". We had no T.V., but were invited to come into the home of Mr. & Mrs.Nicholson,No.40 Hunter Street.When children's hour came on the "box",the wee woman threw her doors open and the room was "bunged to the gills" with wee kids.Those that couldn't get a seat or find a space on the floor,stood in the hall or looked through the front window.We must have been getting on our feet,as on day the man from "The Telefusion" came and plonked our first set in the corner of the front room.A trip to the auction saw a single tub washer,complete with its own fitted mangle and served us well ,right up to our flit to Finaghy.I has to be said that we never missed a meal.

The famine times ended when my da got his "gratuity" when he left the army and
(perhaps foolishly) swelled my ma's purse even further when he "sold off" part of the Army Pension.

Remembering that ours was a rented house and already "condemned" she went a bit "cash happy" and  got a firm in from Hope Street,and fitted new "French windows" ,new doors and replaced the old grate with a "swanky" new Devon model.

We were having our breakfast one morning and the ceiling fell down in the back room beside the scullery!!

"Fools and their money"....I'll leave you to complete the last words!

Rangerover

« Reply #3893 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
Hi Val,

I've put together a little video/slideshow that features your old street =))

Like all good ideas it appreared simple in the planning stages, but when it came to doing the actual slideshow that was when the fun began  :smile:

Which photo to use and which photo leave out ? remember I only something like two and a half minutes to play with.

Then came the choice of music to accompany such a slideshow, so I thought it had to be something from the 60's ... but what ?

Well you can see the video on Youtube and make your own mind up, I suppose it could be called a "bitter sweet" slideshow of Sandy Row .

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkzu3-LG1M

I hope you all approve... so fingers firmly crossed here and holding my breath   :D

Great stories guys........... ;)

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #3894 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
Have been really enjoying all the recent fotos you folk have been putting on the site so I thought I'd check thru mine and have found a couple of bands going down Sandy Row in 1978. They were taken by my sister when she was over there for a visit. not sure which bands they are but I'm sure you folks'll be able to put a name to 'em!

and here's the other one:

This isn't Sandy Row, I've been well informed that this is Church Street in Antrim and that this is the Junior Orange Lodge Parade.

hope this helps, working on getting the two band names.

Do you have anymore photo's?

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3895 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
 :hi: "VAL"!!!

Thanks for your wee words of encouragement.Our new cyber chum "Rangerover" seems like he is set to run and run and his posts look full of promise.I guess "RabRow" and myself are just having a good chinwag and why not??!!

Loved your own reflection on "Matthew"! Believe it or not (here I go again!!) my mum worked with him in "Isibeal's" and described him as a "quare geg"!

My one and only interaction with him was through,yet another job I had, (25 in all) .To my da's absolute horror,I resigned "behind his back" as he put it,from the G.P.O. and went on a job rampage when my Telegram Boy days ended and I was sent "upstairs" to the Sorting Office.

My da had forced me to leave a job that I had found for myself,as an apprentice sewing machine mechanic and had got me a start in the G.P.O. As far as I was concerned,the motorbikes were the only consolation whilst I worked there.

Out of work and living in Finaghy,I and a mate,got the bus down to the "Burroo"
and had no money for the return trip.Walking up the road and nearly home,we spied a sign announcing "The Autumn Show and Sale" in the Balmoral Showgrounds and went in on the off chance of picking up a few days work.I ended up staying there for almost three months and was asked to stay on after the season ended ,but my mate,caught too many times on a "skive"  was politely invited to "go forth"! Like a goat I walked out with him.

Anyway,I was sent round to fix something or other in the premises where Isibeals were doing the catering and Matthew was beavering away.I must have done a good job and he asked me where I was from.I was never shy to crow that I was from the "Row" and KERCHING!! I was sat down amongst all the landed gentry,well ,farmers in all their finery and me with my skinhead haircut,"wranglers" and waterboots and was served up the whole works..breast of chicken,chips and all the rest!

Val

« Reply #3896 on: February 07, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »
First of all Range Rover, that was sad but brilliant, I thought the music was perfect and I not only saw my old street but also At.Andrew's Church were we were married.

Fantastic job.............. :air_kiss:

Val

« Reply #3897 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
Pennywhistle,

I can just picture you but that wouldn't have mattered to Matthew, he was that kind.
One of my brother's used to "sleg" him terribly but Matthew used to get a great kick out of it, he would just come right back at him. He was really lost when his mother died, as he just lived for her. Then he met his friend and he came to live with him and he was really happy again. No one thought anything of it because he was Matthew. ;)

RabRow

« Reply #3898 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Ach your video was brilliant Rangerover,it fitted in well with the music. I was even gettin a wee bit a tear touchin the eye,and I'm a 'foreigner' :smile: but had some happy times in the Row...and still do.

Pennywhistle

« Reply #3899 on: February 07, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
 :clapping: :drinks: :whistle:

"Rangerover" I was mid post with Val and only just watched that vid.
I am at this moment ,performing a deep bow, in respect and reverence to that super post!  :smile:

I had spotted the "Brittanic Street" photo's on "Flickr" but was a bit coy about the copyright angle.But I am sure no one could take the huff. If "Normko",from Brittanic Street ever strays into this thread,he should grace us with the photo of his Grandfather.The era and atmosphere ,captured in his composition, is worthy of another look.

That will take a bit of topping.I have a work in progress at the moment  but will have to find an "upload system" that allows more time. My own wee treasure can't be edited much below 20 mins.

Again,well done!!