Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2042141 times)

carbolicsoap

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #3900 on: February 07, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »

Well you can see the video on Youtube and make your own mind up, I suppose it could be called a "bitter sweet" slideshow of Sandy Row .

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkzu3-LG1M

I hope you all approve... so fingers firmly crossed here and holding my breath   :D

Hi Rangerover,You've made my day! You have my FULL approval.I see that you have used in your slideshow some photos that I took (they are on my photobucket account...Carbolic-soap).
I'am delighted that you thought they were good enough to be used.The reason why I like to take photos and scan old photos of Sandy Row and post them on photo hosting sites is so that others can get a little bit of enjoyment from them. I enjoyed your slide show,I hope many others do!

Cheers!

Addison

« Reply #3901 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
Lizzy, sorry I took so long to reply, we asked Emma and Betty if they were related to Alexander Niblock and they said no he was no relation to them, sorry.
Old age is always 15 years older than I am.

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #3902 on: February 08, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »
Yes ackerman she was my Ma and she passed away just over 2 years ago.  He ashes were brought back to a plot in Woodlawns and that suprised the hell out of me after being in Australia for so long.  My Da is buried in Adelaide but in Ma's will she had to be taken home to Belfast.  My 2 younger sisters took her back.  Not sure if I mentioned it to you before but only Sally and Eddie are left.  I do remember your family well as your Mum was frendly with my Gran Ma Rosetta. :(

Kathleen2

« Reply #3903 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »
Rangerover great little video about Sandy Row and perfect song to go with it too :smile:   BTW did you post that funny story regerding my father or have I missed it :scratch_ones_head:
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Shylock

« Reply #3904 on: February 08, 2010, 03:13:31 AM »

This isn't Sandy Row, I've been well informed that this is Church Street in Antrim and that this is the Junior Orange Lodge Parade.

hope this helps, working on getting the two band names.

Do you have anymore photo's?

Thanks for the ID, Ulster Canadian, As I mentioned in my original post they were fotos my sister took and I guess over the years since they were taken, the actual place has been forgotten and Sandy Row somehow came up! Thanks again for your correction, I have to admit I wasn't 100% sure they were Sandy Row as I didn't recall the shops, but I guess I blamed my poor memory for that! HOWEVER, we're visiting Belfast later this year and certainly hope and plan to get LOTS of foties to share on here, Don't have too many more but am still looking!

Ulster Canadian

« Reply #3905 on: February 08, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
no problem shylock, sorry if i came across rude, as i just read my post and the way i typed This isn't Sandy Row sounds rude so i apologize for that.

hopefully someone will send me the bands names and i'll post them up, if you or anyone has any old band or similar related material, get it posted please.

Peace & Love

Rangerover

« Reply #3906 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
Hello Kathleen,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you regarding the story of your dad Jimmy and myself, but here as promised is my little story.... well it probably looks more like a saga  :smile:

Rangerover great little video about Sandy Row and perfect song to go with it too :smile:   BTW did you post that funny story regerding my father or have I missed it :scratch_ones_head:

Her goes Kathleen,

Here is the funny story that I retain as a fond memory of your dad Jimmy.

But first of all let me give you a little background to this story, in the 50's a good mate of mine ,,, Jimmy Swaffield put me onto a job that was going for a driver in the company that he worked for, it was in a firm called Douglas & Green.

They made hankerchiefs and the factory was located in lower North Street, with the posh offices in Donegal Street ( facing the Newsletter offices).

Well I got the job as driver, but one of my other duties was to look after the two enomous boilers while your dad went home to Clementine Street for lunch everyday on his little Vespa scooter, these boilers provided the power to run the sewing machines and also provided the heat for the pressing machines etc etc.

On top of each of these boilers was a very large hopper that you had to keep filled with coal, this coal was a special coal that was about the size of gravel chips, you had to shovel the coal into these hoppers with the aid of a very long handled shovel, a very difficult task for someone like me who hardly knew what such a shovel looked like.

When I first tried to shovel the coal into these hoppers, which seemed to be about 10 feet off the ground it went everywhere, so imagine my emarrassment because your dad used to keep his boilerhouse very ship shape, he kept the floor spotless and he had all of the various brass gauges and valves gleaming, and he also had a very large and extremely comfortable armchair in the boilerhose.

Well after a lot of coaching from your dad, and a little practice I managed to get the knack of filling these hoppers with coal with this long handled shovel,

So now having explained the set up, let me tell you how I managed to cause half of Belfast city centre to be "blacked out"  :swoon:

One day while it was my time to look after the boilers while your dad went home for his lunch, my friend Jimmy Swaffield joined me in the boilerhouse, Jimmy produced a morning newspaper and having had a quick read of the paper he passed it to me,

I turned to the racing page and after a few minutes I spotted a horse that I felt was a certain winner, my only problem was that this horse was due to run in a race that was going to start within the next 20 minutes, and I had to look after these two monster boilers,

So being convinced that this horse was a sure fire certainty, I went and " recruited " an old guy called Bertie who worked with us, I managed to convince Bertie that looking after these boilers was a doddle =))

I explained to Bertie that I had filled both the coal hoppers to the neck, I told him that I had even put more coal into the hoppers than was usual so that he would not have to fill the hoppers, and that I would be back in 10 minutes ... maximum,

Then I got round to explaining the gauges, I pointed out one particular gauge, I told him that this gauge was the most important one to watch, your dad had put a strip of bright red adhesive tape on the face of this gauge, and your dad's instructions were " never let the hand of the gauge go above the red mark " !!!!

Anyway I plonked Bertie down in the big armchair, and just before leaving to nip round the corner to the bookies in Garfiled Street, I ran over the main points once more with Bertie   once again telling Bertie to pay particular attention to the red tape marker on the main gauge.

So off I went with Jimmy Swaffield to the bookies that was just around the corner, I arrived just in time to back this horse that I thought was a cert, and it duely won for me at a good price, I then decided to back another horse and it also won.
So now that I was on a roll I decided to look at the newspapers in the bookies and pick another couple of horses that were running later that day, by now we had been gone 20 or 25 minutes so it was time to leg it back to work.

When I opened the door of the bookies to my utter horror I found the whole of Garfield Street and lower North Street were covered in what I can only discribe as " dense smog " !!! people were looking up at the rooftops to see if there was a major fire somewhere, by this time you couldn't see the bottom of Bridge Street .

So we spinted back to the bolierhouse, only to find that Bertie was fast asleep in the big armchair, Bertie had seccumbed to the comfort of the armchair and the heat of the bolierhouse, completely oblivious to the impending disaster .

On hearing us arriving in the boilerhouse, Bertie jumped up,  took one look at the main gauge, which by this time was well past " the danger zone " (the place on the gauge that your dad had marked with the red tape) convinced that we were about to blow Douglas & Greens off the face of the earth Bertie ran out of the boilerhouse faster than an olympic sprinter LOLLLL

So I started to pull all sorts of levers that controlled the draft and flow of the boliers, to be honest I was pulling levers that I hadn't a clue what they really did, and I also had to start filling these 2 damned hoppers, otherwise Douglas & Green was going to find that they had no power to run their sewing machines or heat for their pressing machines.

As you can imagine it was utter panic in the boilerhouse, the coaching that your dad had given me as to the technique on how to fill these coal hoppers without spilling coal everywhere was long gone, there was coal flying everwhere !!!!

Then your dad arrived back at breakneck speed, I never knew a Vespa scooter could go that fast !!!  :smile:

He pulled up outside the boiler house with a screetch of brakes and came racing into the bolierhouse, he immediately started to adjust different valves and pull various levers and at the same time he was telling us that " half of Belfast was covered in smog " telling us that " High Street and Bridge Street were completely covered in thick acrid smog " ,,, he forgot to mention Royal Avenue and Upper North Street  :smile:

And he was saying things like " just wait, the firebrigade will be here anytime " and " wait and see the City Hall will fine Douglas & Green for polluting the air "

So while your dad was busy trying to bring some sort of normality back to his beloved boilerhouse, Jimmy Swaffield and myself made a discreet withdrawl from the boilerhouse.

After a short time your dad had things under control.   so now the local pigeons could stop coughing their lungs up, passing motorists could switch off their headlights and the good people of Belfast could once again see the time on the Albert Clock.
Later that day when I told your dad the full story and how Bertie had been convinced that he was about to be Belfast's first astronaut,,,,, thanks to the prospect of 2 large boilers exploding, your dad saw the funny side of it and we had a good giggle about it,

BTW,,, I think it was around this time that I realised that I was not cut out to be a boilerman  :D

I hope that this story about your dad has brought a smile to your lips   it did for me Kathleen.

pauline steel

« Reply #3907 on: February 08, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
Hi Range Rover Pauline here liked your slideshow would you be able to confirm what year the last photo of Charles St South as I think that my granny and my mum are in it ?

Rangerover

« Reply #3908 on: February 08, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »
Hello Pauline / All

Thank you all for your very kind comments regarding the little slide show video, I am very disappointed with the sound quality of the music on the finished article as I had tested it a few times, so I'll try to improve the audio quality ASAP.

Pauline the final photo in the slide show that features Charles Street South was taken from a newspaper photo that appeared on the forum, and as far as I can make out it says that the lights were switched on the " eve of the Coronation"

If you do not have access to improving the quailty or enlarging this photo then just let me know and I will try to make it a little clearer and much larger for you.

But please be aware that carrying out this procedure from a newspaper photo does not give you top results, but if it helps you identify your mum and your granny in the photo then it will be my pleasure to help you.

Hope this helps Pauline.

Hi Range Rover Pauline here liked your slideshow would you be able to confirm what year the last photo of Charles St South as I think that my granny and my mum are in it ?

Kathleen2

« Reply #3909 on: February 08, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Rangerover I will treasure that little story :smile:  I remember my mother and I were shopping and we called into Douglas and Green's to visit. That boiler was scary to a little child like myself back then :swoon:  I remember too my Dad's little scooter as many a Saturday I was perched on the back of it as he drove down to Carrowdore to visit his mother. It's nice to remember my Dad the way he was before that horrible stroke took away the quality of his life :(
A World War 1 soldier.

pauline steel

« Reply #3910 on: February 08, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Rangerover thankyou for your reply. I would be most grateful if you could try and make it clearer and bigger . If it turned out to be them do you think i would be able to get a copy as i think it would make a nice Mothers Day present

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #3911 on: February 08, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
I am loving all the new insights into Belfast and Sandy Row, This is the good stuff that they do not put in the history or local area books. Video was great, and Kathleen the story about your Dad, I know you will treasure that. Its funny when other people talk about your Mum or Dad, and how they can give you a different view on them.
Ulster Canadian: I am in the middle of sorting all the family photos and I know I have more that I can post. I will pmail you later re:The size issue. I do have some from the walk in Canada from back in the mid sixties, taken when my Mum and Dad came here on holiday.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

Kathleen2

« Reply #3912 on: February 08, 2010, 07:36:01 PM »
I know Irishdiva, wasn't that a great story. I never heard mention of it before so that's somethig about my father's working life to treasure. It is funny when you think about it.  My father was a great story teller too so I'm sure this one was repeated to friends and relatives of how he rushed in and saved the day :D
A World War 1 soldier.

Rangerover

« Reply #3913 on: February 08, 2010, 08:36:39 PM »
Hello Kathleen,

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my little story about your dad, I assure it was a pleasure.

See even you were afraid of that big boiler  :D

Rangerover I will treasure that little story :smile:  I remember my mother and I were shopping and we called into Douglas and Green's to visit. That boiler was scary to a little child like myself back then :swoon:  I remember too my Dad's little scooter as many a Saturday I was perched on the back of it as he drove down to Carrowdore to visit his mother. It's nice to remember my Dad the way he was before that horrible stroke took away the quality of his life :(

Rangerover

« Reply #3914 on: February 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Hello Pauline,

It will be my pleasure to help you in anyway possible with this photo of Charles Street South.

Can you tell me where your mum and granny appear in the photo ?
Are they in the group of people standing at the corner of what was Windsor Street ? there are some ladies with a pram.

If these are your family members standing there then I can also cut out that portion of the picture and enlarge that section for you also.

Would it be possible to PM me with your email address ?
Because if I am successful in improving these photos then I can send them to you as an email attachment .

One final thought, if you could find out which newspaper published the original photo then you could contact them, and there may be the possibilty that they would have the original in their photographic library.

Hope this helps Pauline

Rangerover thankyou for your reply. I would be most grateful if you could try and make it clearer and bigger . If it turned out to be them do you think i would be able to get a copy as i think it would make a nice Mothers Day present