Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 2047570 times)

Mr soak. (dairy prods)

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
ah, thats the one, we lived in windsor dr off lisburn road, gran and grandad lived in no. 1 matilda st  before they moved to donegall rd. thanks for straightening me out on that one, think i had a bit of a senior moment there. lol

RabRow

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
Don't know if any of you ever heard of a group called the 'Blackshirts' from the Sandy Row area. They were out in the fifties.

A while back I was listening to the car radio. Nearly sure it was Gerry Anderson. I had just turned the radio on and heard this guy mention the 'Blackshirts' and how he was a member of the group.

He told how he called round at another guys house [out of the group]. His mother answered the door and told him to go on in.  There was his mate sittin with a basin full of eggs,some water,wire-wool and a bowl of bird droppins. He asked him what the hell he was doing.

Well, he explained that he was rubbing the 'Lion Stamp' off the eggs,dipping them in the bird-droppings and going round the doors selling them as newly laid farm fresh eggs. Now there's enterprise for you. :) Or maybe a con-man's a better description. ;D

RabRow

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
ah, thats the one, we lived in windsor dr off lisburn road, gran and grandad lived in no. 1 matilda st  before they moved to donegall rd. thanks for straightening me out on that one, think i had a bit of a senior moment there. lol

Senior moment  :) I know what you mean Mr soak. I think I know Windsor Drive. Doesn't that run off Lower Windsor Ave,then on down onto Gt Northern St.

Mr soak. (dairy prods)

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
the very one, just up from the stone steps that lead over to lindfield's football ground

RabRow

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
the very one, just up from the stone steps that lead over to lindfield's football ground

Yeah we moved onto the Lisburn Rd too.  We knew Tates Ave bridge as the 'Ironies' and the railway bridge at Windsor as the 'Stonies' 'I'll see you at the 'Stonies' or 'Ironies' whatever the case was.

Don't know if you know it or not. In the movie 'Odd Man Out' there were a couple of scenes shot around the 'Ironies'

Its never mentioned in conversation when the movie's discussed. But there were a couple of scenes from there.

Mr soak. (dairy prods)

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »
used to pass the ironies every morning goin to school. fane street secondary as it was then. did'nt know about the film. was on holliday when the dog set off the bomb on the stonies on a sat afternoon when lindfield were playin

RabRow

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »
used to pass the ironies every morning goin to school. fane street secondary as it was then. did'nt know about the film. was on holliday when the dog set off the bomb on the stonies on a sat afternoon when lindfield were playin

I remember Faney school. But do you remember Ulsterville ha :) Its away now .  Sorta remember that about the dog...not sure,there were that many. :(

Mr soak. (dairy prods)

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:12 PM »
ulsterville was the primary school  i went to. mr starret was the headmaster, he drove a green beetle. god this is bringin some names back.

RabRow

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »
ulsterville was the primary school  i went to. mr starret was the headmaster, he drove a green beetle. god this is bringin some names back.

They kept you younger in them days too. It was 'baby infants' 'infants' and 'senior infants'.  I think it was a Mrs Robinson that was there in my day.

That long ago I can't remember. :-[

andy

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »
hi bookworm!, ask Davy did he know the Websters or we Gordy smith he sold fruit and veg, from a cart, and my brother Ted married Margaret
Webster.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

mo chara

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »
Hope you'll excuse a Falls Road man intruding here, I see a 'Poke' Cowan mentioned . Would that be Sammy Cowan?  Rabrow mentioned that he had a few fights. Sammy had 50 odd pro fights and met some of the best lightweights and welterweights around. He beat Paddy Graham, Joe Sharp, Sean Leahy, Tommy Corrigan and stopped top English fighter Johnny Kramer in 4 rounds. He also travelled to meet fighters like Brian Jones and Darkie Hughes. Another great wee fighter from the 'Row' was Wilf Megarry, he had several titanic battles with Adam McLean. Wilf was killed in an accident, in Zimbabwe I think. The Swafields were well involved in the boxing game in Sandy Row.
Keep your hands up or you'll end up with a face like mine

RabRow

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
Hope you'll excuse a Falls Road man intruding here, I see a 'Poke' Cowan mentioned . Would that be Sammy Cowan?  Rabrow mentioned that he had a few fights. Sammy had 50 odd pro fights and met some of the best lightweights and welterweights around. He beat Paddy Graham, Joe Sharp, Sean Leahy, Tommy Corrigan and stopped top English fighter Johnny Kramer in 4 rounds. He also travelled to meet fighters like Brian Jones and Darkie Hughes. Another great wee fighter from the 'Row' was Wilf Megarry, he had several titanic battles with Adam McLean. Wilf was killed in an accident, in Zimbabwe I think. The Swafields were well involved in the boxing game in Sandy Row.

Spot on with everything I would say Mo. Although I don't know some of the ones you mention. You know far more than I would about the fight game. Sammy Cowan is right,thats the only one I do know about. :)

Anyway Mo. I remember the Glenbryn boxing club [i think it was called] in the Row,you went up stairs to it,it was near Gilpins. I think I was in it just the once. I had a cousin who fought out of there. He never stuck at it. But I remember there was a wee bit about him in the 'Tele' He was the boys 7st champion of all Ireland. Hes in Australia now,but his mother died a few years back,he come over for the funeral and some of the Sandy Row boxers were there.

Did you ever hear of a guy called Dickie Richardson? Dickie as far as I know  was an Ulster champion. He lived on Windsor Rd off the Lisburn Rd.

RabRow

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
Oh thanks for the photo Mo. I know the guy who's married to Sammy's sister. I'll pass it on. Cheers.

mo chara

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
Dickie Richardson won his Ulster Featherweight championship title in 1954 with the famous St. George's Club in the Market area. He was fighting at the same time as top notchers like Jimmy Brown, Spike McCormick and Paddy Graham. He would have been a clubmate of Paddy. Graham won the Featherweight  title two years before Dickie.
Keep your hands up or you'll end up with a face like mine

RabRow

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »
Dickie Richardson won his Ulster Featherweight championship title in 1954 with the famous St. George's Club in the Market area. He was fighting at the same time as top notchers like Jimmy Brown, Spike McCormick and Paddy Graham. He would have been a clubmate of Paddy. Graham won the Featherweight  title two years before Dickie.

Thanks for that Mo the dates and all I didn't know. Maybe you could answer another one .

I heard them arguing in the bar one time about a boxer. This guy said he[the boxer] came from Sandy Row. So of course my ears pricked up. :)

Anyway it was before my time and the boxer in question was one....McLaron. So I goes down to the library and delves in the boxing books.  Apparently he left Belfast when he was three years of age and his people went to Canada. He held a couple of world titles Beat a guy called Burns[i think] then he beat a Pancho Gonzales.who died after the fight. If I remember correctly there was something wrong with his teeth and with the punches he took the poison spread throughout his body and he died the next day.

But heres the thing. Different boxing books gave different places of his birth. Belfast was agreed on by most,but one give him as being born in Hillsborough and one even as being born in Dublin. :-\