Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1914437 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15240 on: November 02, 2018, 06:40:52 AM »
WOW, I DID NOT REALISE HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE MY LAST POSTING.   MANY THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. WELL I'M SITTING HERE AT 2:40am  JUST ABOUT TO GO BACK TO BED.  WE HAD A WINE AND CHEESE LAST WK FOR OUR SUPERS WHO ARE RETIRING BUT STILL GOING TO LIVE IN THE BUILDING, WAS GLAD TO  HEAR THAT AS THEY ARE VERY NICE PEOPLE.  THEN  WE HAD A HALLOWEEN  JIG  A FEW DAYS AGO AND I WON A PRIZE IN THE RAFFLE HA.   YESTERDAY I PICKED UP MY NEW GLASSES AND I'M HAPPY WITH THEM, ANYONE WHO WEARS GLASSES WILL KNOW  THE  ?  YOU GO THROUGH BEFORE THEY GET COMFORTABLE  AND BEHIND THE EARS ARE THE WORSE.  SO FAR NO PROBLEMS.  TOUCH WOOD HA.   NOW THE SAD PART,  WHILE DOWNSTAIRS WAITING FOR MY HANDI VAN TO PICK ME UP,  THEY WHEELED A BODY OF THIS LADY WHO HAD LIVED ON MY FLOOR, THE POOR THING HAD DIED, I FOUND THIS ALL OUT WHEN I CAME HOME AGAIN.  IT FELT SO SAD  WATCHING THEM WHEEL HER OUT.   THEN ONE OF THE LADIES  I KNOW,  HAD "THE BOOT" ON HER FOOT. SHE HAD BROKEN 2 OF HER TOES.  AND HAD BEEN WALKING AROUND ON THEM FOR 2 WKS.  ANYWAY HER SISTER IN LAW HAD TAKEN HER TO THE WALK IN CLINIC AND THEY X RAYED HER FOOT AND THE REST YOU KNOW.  IT'S BEEN POURING ALL DAY AND EVERY WHERE IS STILL GREEN, I GUESS THAT'S BETTER THAN THE WHITE STUFF.   WELL I HOPE SOMEONE COMES  ON AND POSTS SOMETHING  AND LETS US KNOW WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON IN  THEIR LIVES ,  I HOPE YOU ARE ALL KEEPING WELL.   LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15241 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »

I'm sure many of you will remember this little watering hole from the past and no doubt it's "unofficial" name

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15242 on: November 02, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
HI HIGHWAY 66,  SO GLAD YOU CAME ON.  NOT HAVING COME FROM SR I  DON'T KNOW THE PUB BUT I'M SURE MANY OTHERS DO.  HOW SAD IT LOOKS  ALL CLOSED UP AND SOME OF THE HOUSES TOO.  I'M SURPRISED IT HAS NOT BEEN PULLED DOWN TO MAKE WAY FOR "PROGRESS" UNLESS THIS IS AN OLD PHOTO.   THANKS AGAIN FOR POSTING AND HOPE YOU COME BACK.  I'M SURE MANY WHO SEE THIS WILL  REMEMBER IT.   LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15243 on: November 04, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »
Hi SIXTYNINER,
This photo must have been taken around the 70s or 80s and has long since been demolished. It was a great spot at the weekends with all the sing songs and had some great local singers. When that photo was taken it was still a thriving bar/club (it looked much better inside). I remember it was also the meeting place for a Distillery Football supporters club even though it was surrounded by Linfield supporters.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15244 on: November 04, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
Hi SIXTYNINER,
This photo must have been taken around the 70s or 80s and has long since been demolished. It was a great spot at the weekends with all the sing songs and had some great local singers. When that photo was taken it was still a thriving bar/club (it looked much better inside). I remember it was also the meeting place for a Distillery Football supporters club even though it was surrounded by Linfield supporters.

HI, I HOPE YOU DON'TMIND ME SHORTENING YOUR NAME.  LET ME KNOW AND I'LL WILL CORRECT MYSELF.   I HAVE HEARD FROM MANY OTHERS FROM SR THAT SO MUCH OF IT HAS BEEN DEMOLISHED AND I BET IF THE ONCE RESIDENTS  WHO LIVED THERE,  THEY WOULD NOT RECOGNISE THE PLACE, EXCUSE MY BAD SPELLING.   I BET AFTER A FEW DRINKS  THERE WOULD A FEW  ROUNDS BETWEEN THE TWO FOOTBALL TEAMS HA.  SO GLAD YOU CAME BACK AGAIN.   LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15245 on: November 09, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
JUST THOUGHT  A FEW WORDS  WOULD  CHEER YOUSE ALL UP.  WELL IT WON'T BE LONG NOW TILL THE DAY AND YOU KNOW WHAT DAY I'M TALKING ABOUT HA.   HAVE YOU ALL YOUR SHOPPING DONE.  NOT ME BUT I DEPEND ON  SOMEONE ELSE DOING MINE.   I HAVE ONE PRESENT AND THAT I BOUGHT AND HAD DELIVERED , THE REST MIGHT JUST BE GIFT CARDS, THEY ARE SO HANDY AND DON'T HAVE EXPIREY DATES.   OUR WEATHER HAS BEEN PRETTY DAMP LATELY ALTHOUGH WE STILL HAVE ALL THE LEAVES ON THE TREES, THE ONES  AROUND MY BUILDING.  DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANYWHERE ELSE.   WELL TIME TO MOVE AND I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY AND A GREAT WK END.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

boops

« Reply #15246 on: November 09, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
Hi LIZ, GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE GOT YOUR NEW GLASSES SORTED OUT,I NEED MINE RENEWED ALSO BUT JUST KEEP PUTTING IT OFF ,SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THAT POOR LADY BEING TAKEN AWAY LIKE THAT ,IT MUST HAVE BEEN SO UPSETTING . LIZ YOU HAVE BEEN GREAT KEEPING ON POSTING ON SR YOU MUST FEEL THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE AT TIMES ...THANK YOU.I HOPE YOU ARE KEEPING WELL AND TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF.I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOU THE OTHER DAY WHEN
MY DAUGHTER WAS SHOWING ME OLD PHOTOS  OF THE SR AREA ,SHE HAD LOADED ON HER PHONE AND ONE WAS OF THE ALBION AND I JUST THOUGHT OF ALL US STITCHERS SLOGGING AWAY OVER THOSE MACHINES IN ALL THE FACTORIES AND LAUGHED AT THE ONES IN CORONATION ST.,COULD YOU PICTURE THE BOSSES LETTING US STAND AROUND NATTERING LIKE THAT,THEY WOULD BE GETTING THE TIME AND MOTION BOARDS OUT AND STANDING OVER US TO MAKE SURE WE GOT THE RIGHT QUANTITY DONE
ANYHOW  LIZ GETTING BACK TO THE WEATHER ,OURS IS A MIXTURE TODAY IT IS DULL,WET AND VERY WINDY AS FOR THE TREES ,THEY ARE VERY BARE....SO DEAR FRIEND TILL THE NEXT TIME    GOD BLESS,

boops

« Reply #15247 on: November 09, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
St., Aidan's Church is having 'An Old time Music Hall' night in the Church Hall, on the 14th November in remembrance of WW1

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15248 on: November 10, 2018, 12:36:36 AM »
Hi LIZ, GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE GOT YOUR NEW GLASSES SORTED OUT,I NEED MINE RENEWED ALSO BUT JUST KEEP PUTTING IT OFF ,SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THAT POOR LADY BEING TAKEN AWAY LIKE THAT ,IT MUST HAVE BEEN SO UPSETTING . LIZ YOU HAVE BEEN GREAT KEEPING ON POSTING ON SR YOU MUST FEEL THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE AT TIMES ...THANK YOU.I HOPE YOU ARE KEEPING WELL AND TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF.I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOU THE OTHER DAY WHEN
MY DAUGHTER WAS SHOWING ME OLD PHOTOS  OF THE SR AREA ,SHE HAD LOADED ON HER PHONE AND ONE WAS OF THE ALBION AND I JUST THOUGHT OF ALL US STITCHERS SLOGGING AWAY OVER THOSE MACHINES IN ALL THE FACTORIES AND LAUGHED AT THE ONES IN CORONATION ST.,COULD YOU PICTURE THE BOSSES LETTING US STAND AROUND NATTERING LIKE THAT,THEY WOULD BE GETTING THE TIME AND MOTION BOARDS OUT AND STANDING OVER US TO MAKE SURE WE GOT THE RIGHT QUANTITY DONE
ANYHOW  LIZ GETTING BACK TO THE WEATHER ,OURS IS A MIXTURE TODAY IT IS DULL,WET AND VERY WINDY AS FOR THE TREES ,THEY ARE VERY BARE....SO DEAR FRIEND TILL THE NEXT TIME    GOD BLESS,

OH BOOPS IT'S SO NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU.   EVERYONE LIKES MY NEW GLASSES AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE,  I SEE ALL THE DUST NOW, JOKING GIRL.  I OFTEN THINK  WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO ALL THOSE GIRLS, LADIES AND MEN WHO WORKED IN THE "ULIDIA".  WE HAD FUN IN THERE BUT THOSE STITCHERS ON CORRIE ,   THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THE DOOR,  I DO REMEMBER THEM BRINGING IN THE  T+M PEOPLE AND WE ALL HATED IT.  THEY CUT OUR TIME THAT WE HAD TO MAKE  A PIECE OF  TROUSER OR JACKET, THAT MEANT WE HAD TO WORK HARDER TO MAKE THE SAME MONEY.   THE TREES OUTSIDE THIS BUILDING  STILL HAVE ALL THEIR LEAVES BUT I'VE BEEN SEEING  THE ODD LEAF FLOATING DOWN.  AND THE SQUIRRELS HAVE BEEN  CHEWING THEM OF AS WELL.  I GUESS THEY ARE FILLING UP FOR THE WINTER.  MEANT TO SAY, I WAS NOT SO MUCH UPSET SEEING THAT POOR LADY TAKEN OUT ON THE GOURNEY AS  VERY SAD.  AND THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS ABOUT SR.  I TRUELY KNOW  MOST PEOPLE  WORK AND  HAVE NOT TOO MUCH TIME  ON THE COMPUTER, BUT I JUST WANTED THEM TO DROP A LINE OR TWO  AND LET US KNOW HOW THEY ARE DOING.   ANYWAY LOVE KEEP THE FAITH HA.   TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

scotland

« Reply #15249 on: November 10, 2018, 09:28:03 PM »
Hi Boops have sent you a PM just noticed your post I remember Albion st and the workers coming into Bertie's chipshop at lunchtime with their long lists of fish sausage and pasty suppers for the factory girls who kept on working until they were brought in to them some were on piece work and barely had time to eat and if they were doing overtime someone came at teatime with the list maybe it,s my imagination but I think fish and chips were cheaper then .I was one of the girls behind the counter making up those lists at a rapid speed LOL Cheers to all those stitchers out there where would we be without them

Went to Saint Aidens in Blythe St when a wee lassie Love and best wishes M x😇😇

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15250 on: November 11, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »
Hi Boops have sent you a PM just noticed your post I remember Albion st and the workers coming into Bertie's chipshop at lunchtime with their long lists of fish sausage and pasty suppers for the factory girls who kept on working until they were brought in to them some were on piece work and barely had time to eat and if they were doing overtime someone came at teatime with the list maybe it,s my imagination but I think fish and chips were cheaper then .I was one of the girls behind the counter making up those lists at a rapid speed LOL Cheers to all those stitchers out there where would we be without them

Went to Saint Aidens in Blythe St when a wee lassie Love and best wishes M x😇😇

MANDY,  DON'T EVER REMEMBER  HAVING  OUR LUNCH BROUGHT IN TO US.  WE  HAD A CANTEEN OF SORTS AND THE LADY  MADE  THE DINNER BUT YOU HAD TO PREORDER  SO SHE JUST MADE  THAT AMOUNT.  SHE CAME ROUND AT TEA BREAKS  AND WE BOUGHT STUFF OF HER TROLLY.  IT'S BEEN ALONG TIME SINCE I'VE HAD FISH AND CHIPS.  GOOD ONES  AT LEAST.   I THINK THEY WERE CHEAPER THEN OR SO IT SEEMS,  BUT I GUESS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE  THE PRICE HAD TO GO UP AS THEY BECAME  POPULAR.   LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

Highway66

« Reply #15251 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »

Hi everyone who has been on recently mentioning such places as The Albion, Ulidia, etc that employed many people (mostly female) from around Sandy Row and further afield. Another place that springs to my mind is the Ulster Weaving Company (and mill) Were I remember seeing some of the weavers pushing their looms by hand during their lunch break when the power was switched off so that they could get their "picks" up to earn them an extra few bob at the end of the week.
 ps this photo is not of the Ulster Weaving co.

harrydunn

« Reply #15252 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »
A beautiful photo thanks for sharing.

jillyfred

« Reply #15253 on: November 14, 2018, 11:06:43 PM »

Highway66 its a really lovely photograph.
Thank you.

jilly :)

Jan norwood street

Re: Hi Val, the little wee woman you are talking about was my Granny, Minnie, s
« Reply #15254 on: November 15, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »
hi Val & McC

Thanks for your replies. McC don't think this is the same person. I've been observing the forum but nit contributing for some time. Your chats about Sandy Row bring back happy memories. I remember Berties chippy and calling fo my Da at the Aghalee over the 12th holidays.

Thanks again

Shele