Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1976378 times)

scotland

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #15285 on: December 31, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »
Hi JP did the JP you knew in Jackie's live in Matilda st a tall slim guy with fair hair ? I remember a very handsome young man living in our street when we were in our teens M

scotland

« Reply #15286 on: December 31, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
HAPPY PEACEFUL NEW YEAR to all the folk of Sandy Row and the Donegal Rd from SCOTLAND CHEERSM⌚⌚

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #15287 on: December 31, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
Yes scotland that sounds like the same one. Have a happy new year.

Kimmbo33

« Reply #15288 on: January 02, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
Hi my name is Kim Rea my family were from Sandy row there was John Billy Bobby James ..Rea does anyone here remember them  my dad went to kelviK school . :P

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15289 on: January 02, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
Hi my name is Kim Rea my family were from Sandy row there was John Billy Bobby James ..Rea does anyone here remember them  my dad went to kelviK school . :P

HI KIM,  WELCOME TO THE SANDY ROW THREAD, I HOPE SOMEONE WILL BE ABLE TO  HELP YOU.   SOUNDS LIKE A BIG FAMILY SO  I'M SURE SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER  THE REA FAMILY WITH ALL THOSE BOYS.  HA.  LIZ :)
sixtyniner

Kimmbo33

« Reply #15290 on: January 03, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
Hi sixtyninner yes IAM sure someone knows of them lol yes my dad youesd to busk out side a picture house the group was called the skiffeles lol thanks for getting back to me Kim  :P

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15291 on: January 04, 2019, 07:05:46 AM »
Hi sixtyninner yes IAM sure someone knows of them lol yes my dad youesd to busk out side a picture house the group was called the skiffeles lol thanks for getting back to me Kim  :P

YOU'RE WELCOME.  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #15292 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE,  I JUST NOTICED  HOW LONG SINCE  ANYONE HAS POSTED.  I THOUGHT WE WERE DOING WELL THERE,  I HOPE ANYONE ASKING FOR HELP WAS ABLE TO GET IT, EVEN IT THEY DID IT BY PMs.  I LIKE TO SEE  PEOPLE GETTING CONNECTED.  HA.   OUR WEATHER HAS TURNED VERY COLD , WELL IT'S WINTER,  WE HAVE NOT GOT  THE REAL BAD  STUFF YET BUT WE HAVE HAD  THE  SEVEAR  COLD WEATHER WARNINGS,  THEY TRY AND GET PEOPLE OF THE STREETS AND INTO  SHELTERS, SOMETIMES THEY WON'T GO SO  VOLUNTEERS GO ROUND GIVING THEM HOT SOUP , BLANKETS ETC.   RIGHT NOW THE SUN IS SHINNING AND LOOKING NICE BUT IT'S COLD BRRRRR.  HA. ANYWAY I HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING OK AND NOT HAVING TOO MANY ACHES OR PAINS.   THIS  TIME OF THE YEAR SEEMS TO BRING OUT THEM ALL.  TAKE CARE .  LIZ :-*
sixtyniner

Sachs

« Reply #15293 on: January 13, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »
Anybody know if Thorn Street and Teutonic Street were situated in old Sandy Row around the time of WW 1 ?
If they were in Sandy Row where they nearby?

cookstown

« Reply #15294 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Quick look at old belfast street directory (Lennon Wylie) would suggest both streets were in existence with the common link of both to Blythe Street of Sandy Row.  Hope this helps a wee bit.
Regards Cookstown.

Sachs

« Reply #15295 on: January 14, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to look into that.

It does help with a theory I have with an old family mystery.

cookstown

« Reply #15296 on: January 14, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Sachs, another wee bit that might help.  Had another wee hoke there and came across another forum
subscriber.  Bit dated but he has a line or two on back in 2008 and he appears to have lived in Thorn Street.
He goes under the name of Belfast Dave on the Sandy Row thread.
Cookstown

harrison

« Reply #15297 on: January 28, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
The past generation would be horrified to see the decline of Sandy Row ,shops closed or closing down.The yuppies moved in speculators also after the demolition of the area to erect multi storey flats.
The

stranmillis v

« Reply #15298 on: January 28, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
The past generation would be horrified to see the decline of Sandy Row ,shops closed or closing down.The yuppies moved in speculators also after the demolition of the area to erect multi storey flats.
The

yes Harrison its virtually a ghost town now, yet I remember it used to be buzzing on a Saturday afternoon shopping trip.
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

john kennedy

« Reply #15299 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
Hi everyone it's been a long time spence I have been on hope everyone is ok someone ask about billy rea. Did he live on the Donegal road and was married to Ben bells sister.  How are you Scotland hope everything is good I will post again soon  lots of love John  ::)